Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to send back the new Focus RS

• 12-06-2009 7:52pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭

Really funny one today. I was parked at a set of traffic lights today and low and behold what pulls up beside me except a brand new 2009 Focus RS cant be more than a week or so old based on the reg. Well the fellow inside is looking over and is looking for a bit if traffic light grand prix - Who am I do say no. By the time we slowed down the poor fellow was eating dust and at the next set of lights was so sheepish that there was no more vroom vroom out of him.

I have to admit I wet myself laughing at the guy and his suped up ford was a classic moment. I reckon he will pick his fights more carefully in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I know from reading these forums i should know but what are you driving? I love it" Who am i to say no"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

What you driving EVO X :D

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I know from reading these forums i should know but what are you driving? I love it" Who am i to say no"

Porsche

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    What you driving EVO X :D

The EVO X now some of them are seriously quick would not be so cocky against them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Really funny one today. I was parked at a set of traffic lights today and low and behold what pulls up beside me except a brand new 2009 Focus RS cant be more than a week or so old based on the reg. Well the fellow inside is looking over and is looking for a bit if traffic light grand prix - Who am I do say no. By the time we slowed down the poor fellow was eating dust and at the next set of lights was so sheepish that there was no more vroom vroom out of him.

I have to admit I wet myself laughing at the guy and his suped up ford was a classic moment. I reckon he will pick his fights more carefully in the future.

Not to mention the break in period for the engine, they only landed here last week.

Either Daddy bought it for him or he was bringing it somewhere for a garage, either way if it was his money (what are they? €50K) he wouldn't be driving the nuts off the car before the engine was broken in fully.

Or possibly the only reason you beat him was he couldn't rev past 5K, what Porsche were you driving if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

Victor_M wrote: »
    Not to mention the break in period for the engine, they only landed here last week.

Either Daddy bought it for him or he was bringing it somewhere for a garage, either way if it was his money (what are they? €50K) he wouldn't be driving the nuts off the car before the engine was broken in fully.

Or possibly the only reason you beat him was he couldn't rev past 5K.

I thought the same myself but this boy was way beyond 5k revs he was all out. Does make a nice noise though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Or he drives like a girl **:D

**Sorry Girls:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Porsche

Porsche what? Details please.

mickdw wrote: »
    Porsche what? Details please.

Boxster S with upgraded sports exchaust and remapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭UhOh

the achilles heel for the RS is going to be taking off from a standstill, light etcs....I guarantee a role reversal on the open road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

UhOh wrote: »
    the achilles heel for the RS is going to be taking off from a standstill, light etcs....I guarantee a role reversal on the open road

And he's comparing a mapped car vs standard. Sure a moddified ST will beat an RS from the lights and a heavily moddified one give a standard 911 C2 a good run....but thats full circle on mapped vs standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Thats why the RS is cheap :p

Even if you got it on the open road it would have to out handle the Boxster S :pac:, any corners and the RS is done and if its caught off the boost :rolleyes:

How much did you beat the RS of the line by OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

That doesnt sound right at all. Surely a hot hatches comfort zone is utilising its low weight with plenty of poke for fast pick up and go performance. Open road cruising and bruising is the arena of big engines and bigger cars (where the weight helps top speed, not hinders acceleration).

I would suspect a Boxter S would pip a Focus RS on a windy course too, http://www.fastestlaps.com/car486e32318475a.html seems to agree.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    That doesnt sound right at all. Surely a hot hatches comfort zone

most hot hatches, not the RS though. From a standing start the FWD will let it down big time. The RS's strength is acceleration on the move.
    Sqaull20 wrote: »

it would have to out handle the Boxster S :pac:, any corners

apparently the RS handles corners like a trojan. Can't see it being done by a Boxster through corners, & as Sneaky_ST mentioned modded vs standard isa different kettle of fish. Put the Boxster up against a RS with Bluefin or DreamScience in a few months & see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

most hot hatches, not the RS though. From a standing start the FWD will let it down big time. The RS's strength is acceleration on the move.

apparently the RS handles corners like a trojan. Can't see it being done by a Boxster through corners, & as Sneaky_ST mentioned modded vs standard isa different kettle of fish. Put the Boxster up against a RS with Bluefin or DreamScience in a few months & see what happens

Hope your right UhOH. Cocky Porsche driver need to be taught a lesson! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

I don't think Ford have said as much but driving it it feels like they have somehow electronically limited the power in first and second gears - which would kind of make sense for getting the power down through the front wheels. Its in third gear that it just seems to go and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

There's a 5th gear vid of the new RS and evo X.

The RS isn't just a hot hatch FWD car, it's pretty decent on the ring.

8:27 on normal tyres just a little faster than a Porsche 911 Carrera (993)

They should have made it RWD or 4WD thuogh :D

jozi wrote: »

The RS isn't just a hot hatch FWD car, it's pretty decent on the ring.
    8:27 on normal tyres just a little faster than a Porsche 911 Carrera (993)

some German mag said 8.25 for the RS on standard tyres, the R26R did 8.16 on Toyos
    I don't think Ford have said as much

they did, limited in 1st & 2nd so it doesnt tear the arse out of the gearbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

they did, limited in 1st & 2nd so it doesnt tear the arse out of the gearbox

Right, thanks for that. Definitely has an impact on the 0-60 time but then that particular figure hasn't much relevance in real driving anyway compared to mid-range acceleration which the RS has in bucket-loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

I dunno about the title of the thread, il have the new RS over a boxster s any day of the week tbh!!!:)

When the op was asked what he was driving and just replied porsche, i had a feeling it was gona be a boxster before i read on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Some funny stuff on that site: An FD2 CTR is quicker around Suzuka (an F1 GP circuit) than an R34 GT-R.:eek:

Interesting all the same tho.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Some funny stuff on that site: An FD2 CTR is quicker around Suzuka (an F1 GP circuit) than an R34 GT-R.:eek:

Interesting all the same tho.

Yeah, occasionally I go there to "prove" a point and end up finding something counter productive! Shockingly cars we assume are fast (M3s, RS4s etc) do not usually end up doing as good as you would be lead to believe on tracks, not just short tracks but longer ones too.
    The only thing about FastestLaps is it lists all the laps in a leaderboard as if they were the same driver, time of year etc, when they infact maybe (are) entirely different.

Saying all that, from looking up the Focus RS in more detail, it does seem quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe in this case the limitation might be with the ability of the driver rather than the RS itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I'm a massive Porsche fan but it still makes me smile that a ford can give a Porsche a good run for it's money.....

Traffic lights gp is no way to compare cars, you have no idea if he was full throttle or what was going on inside the car. Personally I think the RS would smoke the Boxter A-2-B on Irish roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a remapped rs will keep with most things in a straightline id imagine, new m3, std 911 etc, but they can do all the revo knuckle trickiness they like, a fwd hatchback with over 300bhp is unlikely to smole than a mid engined rwd sports car on a track with a competent driver

I'm a massive Porsche fan but it still makes me smile that a ford can give a Porsche a good run for it's money.....

Traffic lights gp is no way to compare cars, you have no idea if he was full throttle or what was going on inside the car. Personally I think the RS would smoke the Boxter A-2-B on Irish roads.

maybe the 986, but as im sure everyone is aware the 987s is a 3.4 with almost 300bhp and lighter than the rs and one of the best handling cars available,

i like the rs, but lets not get carried away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Darando

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSP_MvxtoeU

New RS being thrown around.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭air

Open road cruising and bruising is the arena of big engines and bigger cars (where the weight helps top speed, not hinders acceleration).
    How does weight help top speed exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

air wrote: »
    How does weight help top speed exactly?
    Momentum I'd imagine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

thats great! Finally you pulled up against a car that you could take in your hairdresser mobile :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

red_ice wrote: »
    thats great! Finally you pulled up against a car that you could take in your hairdresser mobile :p

FAIL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭air

Tragedy wrote: »
    Momentum I'd imagine?
    Can you expand further? Do they add lead ballast to cars for land speed record attempts then? I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

porsche boxster vs rs focus
    228bhp + mods off a remap and exhaust vs 300bhp standard and not broke in yet

i still think the RS would make sh!te of a boxster

porsche boxster vs rs focus
    228bhp + mods off a remap and exhaust vs 300bhp standard and not broke in yet

i still think the RS would make sh!te of a boxster

those figures mean very little if you dont account for the weight of each car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

These are interesting. Watch the first one and then the second

No way of knowing if the driver in the RS was really giving it the beans but that aint bad by the renault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

The guy who lives opposite me (never spoke to him in my life but we have our secret code) owns a Boxter (regular) and everytime were arriving or leaving our estate infront or behind each other, we always go for it, there is a pointless rounadbout ( -O- ) in the middle of the staight to get to the main road, and everytime we go for it, I have the legs on him the 20 - 65 mph staight up to the roundabout, he goes round the roundabout quicker and exits quicker, and I either catch him or pull away after the exit!

Oh on the RS topic, I had a test drive booked but they sold the car 2 days before it was due to happen, raging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Zonda999 wrote: »
    These are interesting. Watch the first one and then the second

No way of knowing if the driver in the RS was really giving it the beans but that aint bad by the renault

The RS driver wasn't, you can see it in the way it went through corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

The RS did not seem to put up that good straight line times in its Sport Auto test, even compared to the ST there is not a huge improvement. (at the end I have posted the Sport Auto test for a standard 2005 Boxster S, the 280hp version as I think that is the version TCP/IP has but maybe I'm wrong).

(I used all Sport Auto tests as they would have used the same timing gear and if you have read one of their tests you would know they are very detailed, even include wind tunnel tests for downforce ect.)

Test in sport auto 05/2009
    Gewicht vollgetankt 1484 kg
    0 - 60 km/h 3,6 s
    0 - 80 km/h 4,9 s
    0 - 100 km/h 6,4 s
    0 - 120 km/h 8,6 s
    0 - 130 km/h - s
    0 - 140 km/h 11,3 s
    0 - 160 km/h 14,6 s
    0 - 180 km/h 19,2 s
    0 - 200 km/h 25,4 s
    0 - 250 km/h - s
    400 m, stehender Start - s - - km/h
    1 km, stehender Start - s
    Vmax 263 km/h
    100 - 0 km/h (kalt) 37,2 m
    100 - 0 km/h (warm) 37,8 m
    Nordschleife - min
    Hockenheim, kleiner Kurs 1.17,8 min
    Motopark Oschersleben - min
    max. Querbeschleunigung 1,15 g
    Slalom 18 m 66,5 km/h
    Slalom 36 m - km/h
    ISO Ausweichtest 110 m - km/h
    Testverbrauch min/max/ges 13,3/23,8/14,4 L/SP
    Grundpreis 33.900 Euro (04/2009)
    Testwagenpreis 35.150 Euro (04/2009)

Compared to the ST

Motorart R 5 Benziner
    Hubraum 2521 ccm
    Aufladung Turbo/0,8 bar/Euro 4
    PS - UMin 225 PS (166 kW) - 6000/Min
    Nm - UMin 320 Nm - 1600/Min
    Motorlage/Antrieb Frontmotor/Front
    Gänge/Schaltung 6/manuell
    Test in sport auto 02/2007
    Gewicht 1431 kg
    0 - 80 km/h 4,9 s
    0 - 100 km/h 6,8 s
    0 - 120 km/h 9,2 s
    0 - 130 km/h - s
    0 - 140 km/h 12,2 s
    0 - 160 km/h 15,7 s
    0 - 180 km/h 20,9 s
    0 - 200 km/h - s
    0 - 250 km/h - s
    400 m, stehender Start - s
    Vmax 241 km/h
    100 - 0 km/h (kalt) 36,6 m
    100 - 0 km/h (warm) 37,0 m
    Nordschleife - min
    Hockenheim, kleiner Kurs 1.20,5 min
    Motopark Oschersleben - min
    max. Querbeschleunigung 1,1 g
    Slalom 18 m 66,0 km/h
    Slalom 36 m - km/h
    ISO Ausweichtest 110 m - km/h
    Testverbrauch min/max/ges 11,1/14,3/12,7 L/SP
    Grundpreis 25.416 Euro (01/2006)
    Testwagenpreis 27.755 Euro (01/2006)

The Boxster S

Motorart B 6
    Hubraum 3179 ccm
    Aufladung Sauger
    PS - UMin 280 PS (206 kW) - 6200/Min
    Nm - UMin 320 Nm - 4700/Min
    Motorlage/Antrieb Heckmotor/Heck
    Gänge/Schaltung 6/manuell
    Test in sport auto 01/2005
    Gewicht 1406 kg
    0 - 80 km/h 4,1 s
    0 - 100 km/h 5,5 s
    0 - 120 km/h 7,7 s
    0 - 130 km/h - s
    0 - 140 km/h 9,6 s
    0 - 160 km/h 12,4 s
    0 - 180 km/h 15,7 s
    0 - 200 km/h 19,9 s
    400 m, stehender Start - s
    Vmax 268 km/h
    100 - 0 km/h (kalt) 35,2 m
    100 - 0 km/h (warm) 34,7 m
    Nordschleife - min
    Hockenheim, kleiner Kurs 1.15,7 min
    Querbeschleunigung 1,2 g
    Slalom 18 m 71,1 km/h
    Slalom 36 m - km/h
    ISO Ausweichtest - km/h
    Testverbrauch min/max/ges 11,9/16,5/15,4 L/SB
    Grundpreis 51.304 Euro (12/2004)
    Testwagenpreis 58.728 Euro

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Good vids Zonda. Clio is a great wee car without doubt, and seems to be well able to keep up with the RS in track conditions, mainly due to better performance under braking, and less weight.

I came across another example of a similar "on road" test on Youtube, the Focus RS vs. Nissan GT-R. Surely there's no comparison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Cyrus wrote: »
    those figures mean very little if you dont account for the weight of each car

also depends on how fat the competent driveris lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Porsche

Would ya get off the stage!

You're bragging about smoking and Focus RS with your Porsche!
    was there ever a competition to begin with?

HAHAHAHAHAHA! ya nutter!

What model/year Porsche?

grahambo wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHA! ya nutter!

What model/year Porsche?

Read throught the thread and you would have know it was a cayman.

It's the 1st time I heard of him owning a Porsche, not exactly bragging in my mind also since he got asked what car he drives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

It's the 1st time I heard of him owning a Porsche, not exactly bragging in my mind also since he got asked what car he drives

Actually, it was a Boxter was it not? ;)

Maybe you should read through the thread too.

Actually, it was a Boxter was it not? ;)

Maybe you should read through the thread too.

Oops :o maybe I should have, same difference really - boxter/cayman...

Ah!

I was only looking for posts by him in case he stated what it was. (was looking for the Liverpool crest sig :D )

Cayman is my fave Porsche!

but seriously Porsche Cayman vs Focus Rs.....:eek::confused::p
    although in saying it, it is quite funny the RS driver even tried. :P

I've played traffic light GP with a Cayman before... they are quick!

same difference really - boxter/cayman...

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha! :D

HAHAHAHAHAHA! ya nutter!

What model/year Porsche?

I woulda thought a focus RS and a Boxter S were quite comparable!?

The remap on the BoxterS would make all the diff though!

I woulda thought a focus RS and a Boxter S were quite comparable!?

The remap on the BoxterS would make all the diff though!

Doesn't the RS have that bit more power and is little bit heavier?

a quick wiki reveals:
    1,420 kg Boxter
    1,467 kg Focus RS

a WHOPPING 47Kgs!!!!! :rolleyes:

anyway.... off the line its all about torque
    but I think the RS still has more?
    325 lb·ft

:confused::confused::confused:

FWD issue?

Doesn't the RS have that bit more power and is little bit heavier?

a quick wiki reveals:
    1,420 kg Boxter
    1,467 kg Focus RS

a WHOPPING 47Kgs!!!!! :rolleyes:

anyway.... off the line its all about torque
    but I think the RS still has more?
    325 lb·ft

:confused::confused::confused:

FWD issue?

Yea I think I'd be pretty close in a track race! Would depend purely on the driver (skill and weight!) I think the aftermarket upgrades would give the Porshe the edge!

air wrote: »
    Can you expand further? Do they add lead ballast to cars for land speed record attempts then? I'm intrigued.

Yeah, they do, to get better traction they bog down the cars. Its a balance between weight for traction and obviously too much weight hindering performance. Weight really hinders acceleration and handling, but its effect on absolute top end speed is far less (and somewhat helpful depending).

• Advertisement
Advertisement