Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macaris Dundrum - How the mighty have fallen!

Options
  • 12-06-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

A few years ago you would have heard people say how Macaris in Dundrum was possibly the greatest chipper in all the lands. That was back when they were situated near the post office on Dundrums Main Street. All their food was gorgeous and the chipper was decorated nicely with an inviting wooden shop front.

Since they moved out to where they are now, beside Domino's near the Luas bridge things have gone drastically down hill. Their food just doesnt seem as tasty on the whole, I got a spice burger there a couple of weeks ago and it was literally soaked through with grease :confused: I gave it a press and grease actually poured out of it like a sponge, I ate it of course but I could feel the grease line my throat and felt fairly unwell afterwards (I'm a glutton). Thinking it was a once off I went back again there yesterday for more, but their spice burger, while not AS greasy as before was just as digusting, non flavoursome, overcooked and bland, I ended up giving it to my Dad after one bite, who later got sick as a result :P Not because it was cooked dodgily I hasten to add, just because it was pure gross.

Their American Burgers used to be the stuff of legends but now its just 'meh'. And their new premises is horribly decorated, its a real shit hole to be honest, especially when compared to where they used to be.

OH MACARIS, WHAT HAPPENDED TO YOU, WHYYYYYYYYYY :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

I blame Joe O'Reilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I never liked Macari's!

The best chipper ever in Dundrum was the Stella!!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Didn't Stella do a full pounder burger? Nom, nom, nom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Macaris hasn't been the same ever since Tommy Byrness moved down the country with his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Macari's went totally downhill after the Italian guy Tony gave it up, which is a few years ago now. It was then taken over and run by a bunch of Eastern Europeans who hadn't a clue how to do business. They were the rudest, most grumpy individuals I had ever come across. The chips became reheated and the value became a lot poorer as well. I eventually stopped going there after being a loyal customer for years because I had enough of their poor service.

The only reason they moved down to the Luas bridge by the way was because the lease was up on the place they had in the main street and they were planning to demolish all those buildings at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Half a mile down the road, San Marino, Windy Arbour. Consistently the best quality chipper in the area.

IronMan wrote: »
    Half a mile down the road, San Marino, Windy Arbour. Consistently the best quality chipper in the area.

And that's who have gotten my business since...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Maybe this is why the spice burgers have been so bad, apparently one company owned the patent for spice burgers, and they went out of business last month?!?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0618/1224249067992.html?via=mr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Tails142 wrote: »
    Maybe this is why the spice burgers have been so bad, apparently one company owned the patent for spice burgers, and they went out of business last month?!?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0618/1224249067992.html?via=mr

It's a terrible shame altogether really.

I like spice burgers.

Thread on After Hours has much more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

IronMan wrote: »

Another vote for San Marino, the most generous tasty chicken baguette in a fresh roll!

• Advertisement

Going to have to try out the San Marino after reading this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I see signage going up in Dundrum for a new chipper where Macaris used to be in the village, opp. Dundrum House. Here's hoping...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Yes but...the spiceburgers. The onion rings. The batterburgers. At least they'll still have the sausages.

I see signage going up in Dundrum for a new chipper where Macaris used to be in the village, opp. Dundrum House. Here's hoping...

It's going to be a Leo Burrdocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Tried San Marino last night - pretty good, nice chips and lots of them, good Qtr Pounder, good onion rings and decent fresh cod, nice moist fish but the batter needed another couple of minutes in the fryer. All in all way better then the competition

It seems the batterburgers are back! So can d'onion rings be far behind?

Does anyone know when the Leo Burdock's is going to be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I would also agree that San Marino is one of the best chippers ever. Those ribsteak baguettes are the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jor1

MoominPapa wrote: »
    I blame Joe O'Reilly

OI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

San Marino is absolutely rotten, I live in Mulvey right beside it and always feel terrible after laziness compels me to get food there, its muck even the chips are brutal.

Best one now is the one in Ballinteer by the coachhouse, whatever you call it, way better nosh than San Marino.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭johnl

nm wrote: »
    Best one now is the one in Ballinteer by the coachhouse, whatever you call it, way better nosh than San Marino.
    Libero's is expensive and scabby, I find.

For the best food and lowest prices, go to Sorrento's in Rathfarnham, once it reopens post-scumbag-attack. Free chips with everything!

Has anyone tried the Burdock's in Dundrum yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i went down to Burdocks around half 6 today but it wasnt open! Anyone know when its open?

Silvio's in Sandyfordhall is superb. Thinking about those chips makes me hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Marsellas in Churchtown beside the Bottle Tower Pub is clearly the best chipper around the Dundrum area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

i went down to Burdocks around half 6 today but it wasnt open! Anyone know when its open?

The official opening was today, and they're giving free food all day.

More information on the offer in the Bargain Alerts forum.

Could be worth wandering down to if anyone's nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just happened to be in Dundrum by chance, saw the queue, and asked what was going on ? Needless to say those chips chips and batter burger where needed after waiting 45 minutes :D

And they were A1!!!!

O gawd you make me feel so huuuuuuuuuuuuugry.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Probably a bit far from where you all are talking about but the Roma chipper on Marrion Road up from Rathfarnham shopping centre is the best chipper I've ever had. Anybody passing should pay a visit

Now I'm huuuuuuuuuuuuugry again! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Futurewarrior

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Marsellas in Churchtown beside the Bottle Tower Pub is clearly the best chipper around the Dundrum area.

+1, great chips.

Advertisement