Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative ways to Fund a PhD

Options
  • 12-06-2009 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All,

This thread is a spin off from the thread on the IRCHSS Results. As 3 out of 4 of us did not get funded I felt a forum was needed for people to share any ideas, realistic or creative, on how to fund a PhD.

I for one was contemplating doing a Roxanne on it but unfortunately, due to the recession and the fact that the hairy medievalist market is very much a niche market I am open to other suggestions:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Graduate study is a haven of mid-range paying jobs :)

Department tutorials are a first - sign up for supplementary teaching, demonstrating, and make up to 4000 for the year. Add another 1000 max to that for marking scripts (assuming the option is there - be aware of what you are getting into also, it is painful....)

Departmental admin at peak demand times

Exam supervision/invigilation

Access office work, special needs tutoring, adult ed. tutor

Grauation ceremony work

Grinds - second level if possible, undergrad if wanted

Research assistant work - get on the departmental mailing lists

Temping at other Uni's/I.T.'s (not as much these days)

Will add more as they come to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭the-jojo-axiom

Through a friend of mine in another department, I got a bit of a job typing out transcripts of taped interviews. Thinking of advertising this service in a few other departments, here's hoping for some cash!

Might be lucky enough to get tutorials this coming year (if there's money allocated), but I have to travel a lot this year with my research so I don't know if I can commit to tutoring til April :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LordOctane2009

efla wrote: »
    Graduate study is a haven of mid-range paying jobs :)

Department tutorials are a first - sign up for supplementary teaching, demonstrating, and make up to 4000 for the year. Add another 1000 max to that for marking scripts (assuming the option is there - be aware of what you are getting into also, it is painful....)

Departmental admin at peak demand times

Exam supervision/invigilation

Access office work, special needs tutoring, adult ed. tutor

Grauation ceremony work

Grinds - second level if possible, undergrad if wanted

Research assistant work - get on the departmental mailing lists

Temping at other Uni's/I.T.'s (not as much these days)

Will add more as they come to me :)

Thanks for the good ideas. The funny/sad thing is that I have done all of the above and more while in college. The one thing I would say is that while tutoring is a great experience, I have done it for 5 years; it eats into your study time like you would not believe. Most would agree that any day that you are teaching is that day that can be written off because it takes up more effort than just the hour or so you are teaching.

It also does not pay enough to live on it alone but it is not bad if you are living at home. To be honest I have found that getting a serrate job from your PhD is not a bad thing especially if it is the kind of job that you can leave at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Thanks for the good ideas. The funny/sad thing is that I have done all of the above and more while in college. The one thing I would say is that while tutoring is a great experience, I have done it for 5 years; it eats into your study time like you would not believe. Most would agree that any day that you are teaching is that day that can be written off because it takes up more effort than just the hour or so you are teaching.

It also does not pay enough to live on it alone but it is not bad if you are living at home. To be honest I have found that getting a serrate job from your PhD is not a bad thing especially if it is the kind of job that you can leave at the door.

Agreed, it does take some tight time management

Advertisement