Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will boards.ie die

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Its getting too original, and predictable as is alot of the people:pac:

So I think yes, it's dying.

SEND.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

mysterious wrote: »
    Its getting too original, and predictable as is alot of the people:pac:

So I think yes, it's dying.

SEND.

I knew you were going to say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

DeVore wrote: »
    For those who have been on the internet for ages, consider this: they closed Geocities last month permanently. "The lone and level sands stretch far away."

DeV.

But that was because of more broadband access and cheaper availability of hosting. Back when geocities was prominent hosting was prohibitive. With broadband access and being able to get ad-free hosting for next to nothing geocities was an anachronism.

More access to the internet just means more boardsies to start pointless feedback threads :pac:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"The lone and level sands stretch far away."
    Is it wrong that when I hear that line, I think of "Dominion" by the Sisters of Mercy instead of Shelley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I knew you were going to say that.

I knew you would react.;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

WWMan, if you find my legs in the sand, do please pull me out, yeah?

Boards will survive as long as Boards deserves to survive. I would like to build something that outlasts me.
    DeV.

Build a snowman. The truth is that the internet is an evolving animal whose future is undetermined. None can expect more than a transitional existence in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

mysterious wrote: »
    I knew you would react.;):D

damn!

anyway, the thing with discussion forums, is that the same or similar topics come up again and again. occassionally people add new views or information.

and when you have been around for quite a while, sometimes it seems that every thread you read has been discussed to death before.

in that case, welcome to the point where you have just gone from newb, to regular user :)

its all good. as for boards.ie dying, well, it will only happen if everyone lets it happen. at the moment, i only see boards.ie growing stronger and stronger, and thats something i want to be a part off.

now, where did I leave that razor?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Will Google survive? eBay? facebook/beebo/Twitter?

Can MS last another 10 years?

will UNIX Xenix BSD Cromix Linux Solaris Linux ever be the more popular desktop/laptop OS?

Boards is likely to around as long as it has been at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Onkle wrote: »
    I disagree. That thread is a cancer on the site. Removing it is akin to chemo. So boards will go bald for a bit but come back bigger and stronger

I've read some stupid things on boards in my time and this is right up there. What are you basing your ridiculous statement on?
    Saibh wrote: »
    I don't see the point in another Irish forum cropping up any time soon when there is a successful one here already.

Yeah there's a succesful forum here alright, and the poker section has increased in popularity immensely. I honestly dont get/understand the sh1te that some people are coming out with.

I can gurantee 100%, that poker in Ireland would not be the same was in not for the poker forum on boards, and the BBV plays a big part in that. Myself, and many others play live poker a few times a week, and the vast majority of these games involve meeting people i've met through boards.

We arrange to meet other before games, we've organised lots of outings, private tournaments where we only know each by boards username. There is a huge community in the poker forum, and the BBV is where most of us meet to trade banter, wisdom and fun.

There's so many posters on here that post almost exclusively in the BBV and nowhere else, and to see these people leave because a couple of posters decided to have some fun in the Lets count to a million thread, would be a travesty.

I see the count is up to ~69000 now. If there was 1 post per minute, they'd reach 1 million in ~646 days. I can understand why a couple of troll posts in this thread was seen as such a big offense that everyone who posts in the poker section has to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Onkle wrote: »
    I disagree. That thread is a cancer on the site. Removing it is akin to chemo. So boards will go bald for a bit but come back bigger and stronger
    Why??

I don't remember ever seeing a Reported Post or a complaint about it from yourself before, have you ever even read it???

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No one said the BBV was going away permanently. But its been used twice now to organise attacks on either moderators or other forums. If it happens a third time it will be closed. A few people are going to get their asses kicked out of here for a while too.

Now I'm closing this thread cos its trashed.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement