Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witholding Rent

Options
  • 12-06-2009 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Just wondering where I stand.
    I moved into a rented house with my wife and daughter 3 months ago. When I moved in the gas and electricity were disconnected, the Estate Agent was supposed to have got all this sorted before I moved in. The electrcity was turned on immediately but we were there without gas for 3 weeks. This house has gas heating. So we had to buy electric plug in heaters for ourselves.
    Then I recieved the reconnection fees from the gas and electricity.. I had to get onto the estate agent about it and he paid them. Chancing his arm I think.
    There is no timer on the boiler which I've been promised since I moved in. Also the immersion is broke so I've had no hot water for the last 3 months.
    I'm forever ringing the estate agent who promises it will be done next week, which I've been hearing since I moved in.
    So yesterday, my rent was due and I went up to see him and told him that he would not be getting the rent until he has sorted out our timer and hot water.
    Am I within my rights to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

If you've signed a lease then its probably a bad idea, withholding the rent can give the LL/EA the upper hand on the legal side.

3months! What steps have you taken to escalate the issue?

Sometimes I have no sympathy for tenants who let EA's give them the run around. Fobbing people off is an artform they've perfected and as long as they can promise you the world on the phone and you accept it they will string you along.

I dont mean to have a go or be unhelpful but you need a thick skin in the rental world! When my washing machine broke it took three days to get fixed, the second time it broke it was fixed the same day :D

Bottom line is that you need to follow the correct procedures as in threatening PRTB complaints e.t.c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you need to contact the landlord and tell him/her that the agent is not addressing your problems - or contact the estate agent and tell them you are going to contact the Landlord as you think they are neglecting their duty to upkeep the house.

you could try to get the problem fixed and send the bill to the estate agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 finley

I've called into his office every week, he's usually not there, have to leave a message for him. He never gets back to me, can never get him on the phone and when I do he acts all shocked saying "oh has that plumber not called up to you yet".
    Yesterday was it for me, I'm fed up with him fobbing me off, I showed him the rent in my wallet and told him he won't be getting a penny until he sorts out the problems in the house, I told him he had until Monday or I would be getting my own people in and sending him the bill. I even told him I was considering renting elsewhere if he was going to take this lazy attitude on everything.
    Now another problem has just popped up, the dishwasher is broke, is this his responsibility or mine? It's not as if I've hot water to wash the dishes in the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you can spare the time, go to the EA office and tell them you're not leaving until this snake of an agent shows his face and sorts things out.

Consider sending a registered letter saying if things aren't resolved in the next week, you will get the problems sorted out yourself but will be taking the cost out of the rent.

Definitely call the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I wouldn't pay him until everything is sorted out. It's the only real leverage you have.
    What is the worst he can do? Throw you out of a kip?

• Advertisement
Advertisement