Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing air rifle from england

Options
  • 12-06-2009 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Alright Lads,

A friend of mine in England is heading to live in spain, and he has a very good air rifle (pcp) That I could get at a good price, Ive been after one for a while, and this one is a month old and I could get it for half the retail price - Anyway, I have read a lot of conflicting information about Air Rifles in Ireland, Obviously I need a permit, But some people say Air Rifles are only allowed for Target shooting, But a man local to me says he got his for vermin control, Id have no problem getting land permission, So what do I do then? Apply for the permit with a letter saying my friend intends to sell me the gun....Then if the permit comes through, get him to post the gun to a local gun dealer where I can collect it?

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Call your local Garda station and ask to speak to the person who deals with firearm certificate applications. They'll tell you what you need.

You'll probably need:
    1. The make, model and serial number of the rifle.
    2. Written permission from the owners of the land you'll be shooting on.

Air rifles are licensed for vermin control as well as target shooting, just make sure you're clear with the Gardai on what you'll be doing with it so you don't end up with any unwanted conditions on your certificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DL-Ferreter

Thanks, Will it be ok then for my mate just to post the gun to the local gun dealer then after my cert comes through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Thanks, Will it be ok then for my mate just to post the gun to the local gun dealer then after my cert comes through?

He can post it to your gun dealer at any time providing your dealer is happy to take it in for you. You can only collect it when and if you've got your licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DL-Ferreter

Even better, because he will be away to spain before the cert comes through no doubt. So assuming my friendly local gun dealer is happy to help me out, I can get my mate to send the gun straight away by normal post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Even better, because he will be away to spain before the cert comes through no doubt. So assuming my friendly local gun dealer is happy to help me out, I can get my mate to send the gun straight away by normal post?
    Yes. Just remember if you're refused a licence, the dealer may hold on to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

So would this process work with a privately owned rifle, say a .22??

Advertisement