Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Vodka expire or improve with age?

Options
  • 12-06-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I have a very old bottle of Smirnoff that I found in my parent's attic. It is proper old. Will one get poisoned - proper poisoned - if one consumes it?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It'll be exactly the same as when it went into the bottle. The most dangerous thing in there is the ethanol, just like on day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Daisypicker5

Nope, does not expire.. Will taste just the same I believe. Take a sip of it thought just in case and see what happens. If you don't throw up then your good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The worst I can see happening is some of the ethanol been oxidized to esters, and that is probably a very tiny percentage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

or if the bottle was left in a warm place (>25C), or exposed to sunlight then some of the ethanol will have turned into ethanoic acid (vinegar acid). Not dangerous but quite gross. You'll easily tell this by smelling/tasting.

Advertisement