Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters

Options
  • 12-06-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I noticed that during a Masters programme,lectures are essentially held between september and may,then you have to submit your dissertation or project work.I was wondering what happens between june and september,can one for example go and work during that period or you have to be going to school.Any responce/s would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Kind of a grey area... Nothing legally stopping you unless you are claiming benefits of some sort, it depends on how confident you are with your research - how likely are you to write a thesis to the standard you want with less time. No one monitors your work time if thats what you're asking, but your supervisor (ideally...) should be keeping regular deadlines which will force you to some sort of schedule.

It does require a lot of input.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Do thesis between Sept and May, then go lie on a beach for the summer is my plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Max001 wrote: »
    Do thesis between Sept and May, then go lie on a beach for the summer is my plan :)

Are you for real...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Hi all,I noticed that during a Masters programme,lectures are essentially held between september and may,then you have to submit your dissertation or project work.I was wondering what happens between june and september,can one for example go and work during that period or you have to be going to school.Any responce/s would be greatly appreciated.

I'm doing a full-time taught Masters at the moment, first 2 semesters had exams (Dec & May), now have to deliver disseration by 31st August.
    We also have to complete 3 days a week work placement for 12 weeks - that's our 3rd semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

deise-lady wrote: »
    I'm doing a full-time taught Masters at the moment, first 2 semesters had exams (Dec & May), now have to deliver disseration by 31st August.
    We also have to complete 3 days a week work placement for 12 weeks - that's our 3rd semester.

Thanks for your responce...what school would that be if you dont mind me asking?....I am going for a masters at WIT.

A family member of mine found something for me in Houston Texas for June next after I have completed my exams...nothing much in terms of pay but I think it would do a lot of good for my CV...plus this cousin of mine is paying for accommodation and the return journey.I just want to know how feasible the whole arrangement is?

Thanks a Mill..

• Advertisement
Advertisement