Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Nostalgia.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nameajaysus

Does anyone remember those books from school that had a blue fluffy monster thing in them? Can't remember the name though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Cavan Cola
    Country Spring 3 ltr bottles
    Lucky Charms
    The 'Guaranteed Irish' logo
    Auld O'Neills GAA jerseys with no sponsor
    World Cup 90 and 94 memorabilia (stickers in shop windows in particular)
    John Player Red
    'The McSpuds' on Bosco
    Bouli
    Zig and Zag Christmas specials
    Staying up to watch the new episode of Father Ted (Friday nights on Ch4, magic!)

Oh, and Dara O'Briain and Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh presenting Echo Island :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Rimini Riddle - Puts David Lynch to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

bronte wrote: »
    I have kerri anns autograph!!!

I have OTT's autograph. If memory serves me correctly, the one called Glenn was the hot one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

2Phat (Velcro Girl)
    The show with Eye-otas and Mary Kingston
    Captain Planet
    Basher Bacon (The Swamp?)
    The sports show on Saturdays with George Hamilton with The Final Countdown as the opening song (anyone know the name of this please?)
    The Grip with Jayo and Kathryn Thomas
    That Kevo guy who used be on stuff
    Jordan F1 team having a green car (and Schumacher)
    Rancheros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭livindadream

Does anyone remember those books from school that had a blue fluffy monster thing in them? Can't remember the name though..

hmm no but i do remember Tara and Ben books!! and the ol Away with words for 3rd class english!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

GymJim wrote: »
    2Phat (Velcro Girl)
    The show with Eye-otas and Mary Kingston
    Captain Planet
    Basher Bacon (The Swamp?)
    The sports show on Saturdays with George Hamilton with The Final Countdown as the opening song (anyone know the name of this please?)
    The Grip with Jayo and Kathryn Thomas
    That Kevo guy who used be on stuff
    Jordan F1 team having a green car (and Schumacher)
    Rancheros

That was Ralf Schumacher though.

Oh and one thing I forgot...

"is mise Muzzy, Muzzy Móir"

The sports show on Saturdays with George Hamilton
    Sports Stadium

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Clare winning that hurling All-Ireland in 95
    Richie Kavanagh with Aon Focal Eile
    The DEN
    Sodastream
    Gay Byrne on the Late Late
    Titanic mania
    BSE
    Esat Digifone
    Videoplus
    Telecom Eireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Going out on a bit of a limb here.... but does anyone remember a political party called Libertas?? Whatever came of those wacky christian right wing eurosceptics?

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Going out on a bit of a limb here.... but does anyone remember a political party called Libertas?? Whatever came of those wacky christian right wing eurosceptics?

TROLL

razorblunt wrote: »
    That was Ralf Schumacher though.

Oh and one thing I forgot...

"is mise Muzzy, Muzzy Móir"

No it was Michael. When both team and driver were starting out...and car was green! You'll find ralf drove the yellow car years later.

hmm no but i do remember Tara and Ben books!! and the ol Away with words for 3rd class english!!

Busy at Maths also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

dossing mass.

but always peek in and see what priest is saying it incase questioned later.

that sick feeling in your stomach when the music of the Glenroe comes on knowing the weekend is over and have school in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

Busy at Maths also :D

Yes i recall this! With trepadation... i was a messy writer for most of national school... the shame

"Sproai" magazine anyone? In my senior infants we had to do sharing because there wasn't enough to go around... the year would have been 1993/4 ... oo the poverty back then.. :D

Sparkler ice pops? I remember them frombeing about 9 or 10 and being allowed to go to the shop on my own. I was jonesin' for one the other day, what with this hot weather, all the other ice pops are cream based :(

or 20c cool pops, ahhh the E numbers, is it a wonder that now tonight I'm wired at 3.55 am debating wether to have gin or bourbon from my parents liqour cabinet.... E numbers never did us any harm.

Trabolgan? water slides :O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The caburrys bars that looked liek chomps but they were in an orange and blue wrapper and toffee/caramel in the middle was orange flavoured, they were the same price as chomps and were usually beside them on the shelves.

Giant Chew Bars.

Hi-Sour sweets, the apple ones were amazing!

Score paradise island soft drink.

wopa bars.

farmer joes crisps in dunnes stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

The old ESB ad with the 'Only You' theme and the guy getting up to do the bottle feed.

When Tayto were only 20p

When you could buy Tayto, a cornetto and penny sweets and still have change out of a pound.

When a kinder egg was the height of excitement and a can of coke was 50p, and BIG Foot ice creams still existed (they were the business!).

The ' School around the corner' with Gerry Ryan on a Sunday evening. Depressing knowing school was, just around the corner!

Running home in time to see Bosco and flopping down in front of the TV.

No homework on the first Friday of the month.

Communion practices in the church,

religion classes learning about Lazarus and Zachauss (sp?)

School tours, being up at 7 in the morning with your packed lunch and laughs on the bus on the way back.

Christmas school concerts and the practices leading to it.

Ah them were carefree days, when your biggest worry was getting more easter eggs than your friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nameajaysus

Ah, Tara and Ben! And Conor their blonde friend and Kim the girl with the red hair!

Ann and Barry books
    B*witched - I hate to admit I have a signed copy of their second album *cringe* :o
    "If you're gonna have a cuppa have a Club..."
    Bosco
    The Podge and Zag Show (or the Zag and Sponge Show)
    Live at Three
    Big Time bars

I also remember Kerri Ann but the song I remember from her was "Do You Love Me?"
    funkyflea wrote: »
    A program on network 2.. called 'The Works' I think?

There was something about crystals..and 'iotas'..?

Are ya laughin'? Yeah I'm laughin'!

• Advertisement

Bomber jackets.... and those Adidas tracksuit bottoms that everyone used to wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Country Spring 3 ltr bottles

Still sold in Dunnes Stores Westside, Galway City along with TK Red Lemonade!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

khmk wrote: »
    dossing mass.

but always peek in and see what priest is saying it incase questioned later.

We used to skip mass and find out who was serving as proof that we went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Ha'pennies
    Mackleton wrote: »
    When Tayto were only 20p

I remember when they were 7p! :eek: Then the feckers raised them to 9p :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hot summers

bubblicious
    sparklers
    frozen drinks/mr freeze
    having a laugh with your mates in a field

getting all the satelite channels for free during the summer of 95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Furstenburg Beer
    Hoffmans Lager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Forgot about the hot summers, we also used to get snow in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

Watchin 'Pajos Junkbox' on a Saturday mornings in my underpants, in front of one of those old school 2 bar electric fires... jazsus i havent thought about that in years. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Goal 0-1 Gheorghe Hagi (ROM)
    Goal 1-1 Kevin Sheedy (IRE)
    Goal 1-2 Danut Lupu (ROM)
    Goal 2-2 Ray Houghton (IRE)
    Goal 2-3 Iosif Rotariu (ROM)
    Goal 3-3 Andy Townsend (IRE)
    Goal 3-4 Ioan Lupescu (ROM)
    Goal 4-4 Tony Cascarino (IRE)
    Miss 4-4 Daniel Timofte (ROM)
    Goal 5-4 David O'Leary (IRE)

cant get any better than this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

BEST AD EVER!!!

And I seen it back on telly last night. It brought me right back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jigsaw07 wrote: »
    Remember an old irish tv game show called "where in the world" it was presented by threasa lowe i think....what ever became of her??

umm..Lowe..had a serious thing for her when I was about 10...used to wonder why my pants used to get so tight when watching her on tv..
    Same for another girl...she was in Lady Chatterly's lover...olivia something or over...she was sweet as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Raleigh Choppers when they were bikes not fecking "collector's items"
    Opel Asconas
    Double decker buses in Galway
    Irish rallying on RTE with Europe's The Final Countdown as the theme music
    Lego for Christmas , and always hoping to get the set with the electric motor
    9 of us squeezing in to an old Corolla goin to school
    Green ex German army parkas from the Army-Navy store

• Registered Users Posts: 49 murraymar

FruitLover wrote: »
    Ha'pennies

I remember when they were 7p! :eek: Then the feckers raised them to 9p :mad:

Thank God. I thought Taytos being 7p was a figament of my imagination. The other 3p of my pocket money used go on a cola Mr. Freeze.

Soda stream

Murphys Micro quiz, had a bit of a thing for Mr. Murphy.

Fr. Trendy on the live mike show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

E.T. wrote: »
    Those rock hard toffee with fake chocolate bars that are probably responsible for most of the tooth fillings in Irish adults.
    Fake Lilt that came in really small bottles and cost 25p.
    Big Times and pacific island or something?

Also, Meath being good at gaelic football:(
    Eddie Murphy being an a-list actor. Beverly Hills Cop is on sky 1 right now!

Ray Houghtan's goal against Italy, I was a young whippersnapper and in the celebrations I managed to get our small Irish flag attached to those disgusting Fly papers and pulled it down straight onto my sisters hair, All I remember was Ireland winning and my sister sporting new short hair the following day. I was around 7 then!

Quint wrote: »
    Also, Meath being good at gaelic football:(
    Yeah, when we had monsters like Lyons and O'Connell playing for us... beating the opposition into the ground :D
    And the past World Cups, with the flags hanging out windows and people painting their houses green, white and orange. Here's hoping we get some of that spirit back next summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Nuns.
    Nurses in really short white nurses outfits:D

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    Nuns.
    Nurses in really short white nurses outfits:D

This is about nostalgia.
    Sex & Sexuality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The Den when it was on RTE1.

When Mary Robinson got elected, did she go on the Den and give the primary schools a day off. Cant remember if it happened or if i just dreamed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Goal 0-1 Gheorghe Hagi (ROM)
    Goal 1-1 Kevin Sheedy (IRE)
    Goal 1-2 Danut Lupu (ROM)
    Goal 2-2 Ray Houghton (IRE)
    Goal 2-3 Iosif Rotariu (ROM)
    Goal 3-3 Andy Townsend (IRE)
    Goal 3-4 Ioan Lupescu (ROM)
    Goal 4-4 Tony Cascarino (IRE)
    Miss 4-4 Daniel Timofte (ROM)
    Goal 5-4 David O'Leary (IRE)

cant get any better than this

:confused::confused::confused:
    Is your username your date of birth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Uncle Oswald

I love threads like this. As I was reading through it I could have thanked every one of you.

Anyway, I'd like to add a couple more...

The Munster Hurling Final in 1984 between Tipp and Cork and the All Ireland Gaelic Football Final between Kerry and Offaly in 1982. Two absolutely legendary epic games.

Garda Patrol. I'd love to have a good feckin look at a Garda Patrol episode again... maybe I'd recollect the circumstances under which the Datsun Cherry was stolen from Monasterboice or the Bosch drill vanished from a building site in Granard.

Yo-yos... they used to be on sale with Coca Cola or Fanta on them. There was a big craze in 84 or 85.

Top Trumps. The Horror ones and Western Gunfighters were the most popular.

Moving statues. Flourescent socks. Red registration plates. Goobays. The Pledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Senna wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Is your username your date of birth?

certainly not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Does anybody remember the ad about the dog, who was let out on the streets by its owners, and he ran off with a crowd of bad dogs and ate some sheep and then became bad himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Dman001 wrote: »
    Top 30 hits and The Fame Game are two other RTE shows.

Jeez I forgot all about Top 30 Hits! Used to love that show.

Also:
    -Macaroon bars, refresher bars/sweets, Fat frog lollies (I can't find em anymore :()
    -Going to Kerry with the parents for a weekend and thinking it was the best holiday ever
    -Snakes N Ladders, Kerb (anyone know this? So simple but so fun :)), Rounders, Kick The Can, Tig.
    -Feeling smug as the teacher selects you to run around the school ringing the bell for breaks, getting gold stars for good homework, non-uniform days ahhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Ann and Barry ?
    For proper nostalgia check Pat and Ann.

That holiday in Wexford better have happened the same week as Hurricane Charlie too.

/youngsters these days.

heh, family weekend away in Spidal that weekend. Somehow didn't seem quite as harsh as the beating the rest of the country got from it.

Fuzzy pub wallpaper was class too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Same for another girl...she was in Lady Chatterly's lover...olivia something or over...she was sweet as well ;)

Wasn't the Murphy's Micro Quizm chick Olivia something? Former Miss Ireland as I recall.

Bought the Scrap Saturday set recently just for old times sake. Plus the tapes I had them recorded on don't play on my CD player or Zen... balls to technology.

Garda Patrol. I'd love to have a good feckin look at a Garda Patrol episode again... maybe I'd recollect the circumstances under which the Datsun Cherry was stolen from Monasterboice or the Bosch drill vanished from a building site in Granard.

I remember reading a book about drug smuggling, the guy said he had brought something like 10 tonnes of hash into the country (in the early 70's) and garda patrol had a bit on some pots and pans that were stolen from someones house

Advertisement