Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way to tell has fast can my internet be

Options
  • 12-06-2009 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on 3mb which AFAIK is the fastest avail in Cobh Co.Cork.So is there any way to tell has fast can my internet be?Eircom told me few months ago 3 was best they could do now pure telecom can offer me 7mb?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your line stats will give an indication of how fast your line can go. There are many recent threads on line stats around if you have a look but you will them in the netopia under the advanced heading (I think!).

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

And bear in mind that increasing your speed if your line is not up to it will only bring you problems as again you will see from various current threads on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

http://speedtest.net

Popular for testing broadband speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mr W!zard. That won't tell the OP how fast it COULD go.

If eircom say the line can do only 3Mbps, then probably that's true. Anyone else is reselling the same copper pair of wires from exchange to you, even LLU operators, though with ADSL2+ rather than ADSL their may be some increase, but that's more likely if you have a higher speed to start with!

You may get higher speed with UPC (Chorus/NTL) Cable or Digiweb Metro as they don't use the phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

watty wrote: »
    Mr W!zard. That won't tell the OP how fast it COULD go.

If eircom say the line can do only 3Mbps, then probably that's true. Anyone else is reselling the same copper pair of wires from exchange to you, even LLU operators, though with ADSL2+ rather than ADSL their may be some increase, but that's more likely if you have a higher speed to start with!

You may get higher speed with UPC (Chorus/NTL) Cable or Digiweb Metro as they don't use the phone line.

It all depends how many users share the same local area line & how much bandwidth most of using, this is the same for all lines. 3Mbs is fine for just one person but its common knowledge that many users share the same line in the various local hotspots by these companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The phone line isn't shared. The backhaul is.
    In fact a shared phone line can't be enabled for DSL.

For Mobile, an upto 3.6MBps (or 7.2) is total shared among every user of a sector and it can be under 500kbps very easily.

For UPC and Digiweb (non-mobile, non phone line systems) where someone is sold 3, 6, 8 or 20Mbps, that is not the total shared speed. The total capacity of the cable at that point could be 460Mbps to 1000Mbps or of a Digiweb Metro sytem nearly 400MBps, certinally over 100Mbps is possible.

You seem to be thinking of Mobile Masts or WiFi Hotspots rather than real fixed Broadband.

• Advertisement
Advertisement