Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basic wired alarm system

Options
  • 12-06-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i'm looking to self-install basic protection on a 3-bed semi which is unoccupied quite a bit.i can wire keypad and pirs easily enough .(door contacts would be trickier)won't have a dialler but need a recommendation for equipment(brand) and basic spec needed

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If your installing yourself go for the Astec Fusion . You can use all astec system devices which are all 2 wire .
    They are in IDA centre Pearse Street Ph 016704201
    If you need anything let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

ok can this be sourced most places and what would i need minimum spec

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most security suppliers would stock these . But Astec will happily sell direct to you.
    Minimum needed
    Fusion 10 zone Panel with keypad
    1 SABB (system 2 wire)
    1 Internal (system 2 wire)
    1 7amp battery
    Sensors & contacts for all windows & doors
    Contact for front door
    1 PiR (If you want to use Astec 2 wire PiRs you will need PiR expansion card, A standard PiR would be cheeper)
    Panic button can be programmed into Keypad.
    Text Dialler optional extra.

is that the minimum spec for the house? i want to go with pirs if possible for ease of wiring

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+ 1 to what Koolkid suggested

is that the minimum spec for the house? i want to go with pirs if possible for ease of wiring

There is no minimum that you will find in writing anywhere AFAIK. For an alarm to work the minimum wiring you will require is:
    • keypad
    • 1 sensor (of some type)
    • 1 sounder (of some type)
    i want to go with pirs if possible for ease of wiring
    This will make it simple to wire, but a PIR will only activate when it is "too late" i.e. when the intruder is in the house.

Why not go for a wireless system if wiring is a problem???

But Astec will happily sell direct to you.
    This is the way to go IMHO

• Advertisement

thats what i figured .a lower level of protection with the pirs.any idea of a ball- park price comparison between wired system with 4-7 pirs and wireless with sensors/contacts

If our looking at wireless the Signet 200 is your best option

i could fit the signet 200 and a couple of pirs to get system working and then add the window contacts/sensors later when i know what i'm doing (and i can afford it).there's a small shed 2 metres from back of house (1 standard solid door-no windows )what would this need?this is for myself so i can do it in 2 stages if possible

Wireless would work for the shed.

ok
    thanks

• Advertisement

with the signet 200.am i right in saying i can fit a few wired pirs initially and then add the
    wireless window contacts/sensors later .any ball-park cost for the wireless contacts/sensors thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Give the lads in IGT a call

davelerave wrote: »
    with the signet 200.am i right in saying i can fit a few wired pirs initially and then add the
    wireless window contacts/sensors later .any ball-park cost for the wireless contacts/sensors thanks
    Thats correct..
    Wireless devices betweed €40-€50

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

2011 wrote: »
    There is no minimum that you will find in writing anywhere

There is no minimum for a self installed system.
    you need at lease two sounders or an external and internal sounder on a system unless its monitored by a monitoring station, if it is monitored the internal sounder will do.

Advertisement