Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yongnuo Flash

• 12-06-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for a cheap but fairly decent flash for my Pentax K-M. Seen this one on ebay and I was wondering would it be safe to use with the K-M ie. not damage it ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've never heard of youngno flashes. Chances are that its for an old k mount film camera.

I would stick to flashes from pentax themselves or metz, nissen or sunpak. Make sure its compatible with the km because the different trigger voltages could damage your camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Just go the the seller's or manufacturer's page and get list of compatible cameras. That is the only way to prevent any possible damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I don't know this specific flash unit so I can be corrected here (anyone?) but eBay has a wicked amount of cr*p non brand flashes available at *low* prices which will if you are lucky fire when you press the shutter release but they will do very little else.

For the K-m, you should try hold out for at minimum the Pentax AF-360 FGZ currently about €150 if you look hard enough (I paid about €240 a while back). Better still the AF-540 FGZ has full tilt and rotate (the 360 has just tilt). Sigma also do a very good one which for the life of me I can't remember the model. I'll take a look tomorrow and post if i find it. Proper flashes will 'talk' or 'chat' to your DSLR. Any of the Pentax flashes or the Sigma unit will operate in harmony with your Pentax - anything else generally wont.

I did have contact with Pentax about using older Pentax flashes - the likes of the AF 200 and they told me it would be ok but i wouldn't have the functionality which was enabled by the 'talking' which goes on between the modern flash and the older ones.

I'd be fearful (again open to correction if anyone has this flash unit) that it would be money down the drain and may not even give you as good results as the on board flash.

Personal experience - I was new to DSLR, got the camera, got some lenses, knew I absolutely *needed* an external flash. I went and bought one as soon as I could afford it (the AF-360) but in truth I had so much to learn about the other facets of photography that there was no hurry at all. In fact I probably could have waited until I could afford the AF-560.

By the way the Sigma mentioned was roughly the same price as the Pentax Af-360 and has tilt and swivel functionality. My research suggested that the build quality of the Af-360 was far superior which was my main reason for proceeding with it. Somewhere in the distance the Af-560 beckons but i've a distance to travel yet.

The other point about non recognised flashes particularly older ones is to be cautious as to the voltage they emit. Old flash voltage to new DSLR can be a match in hell - think completely fried insides of your Pentax (or any other DSLR tbh). This worried the cr*p out of me at the time and I found it impossible to ascertain what was ok and wasn't ok. Check reviews of the specific model if going the non standard route i'd suggest.

Basic recommendation here - hold off, save a while longer, learn about the rest of the stuff that your DSLR can do, then when savings in place buy the Af-360 if tilt / swivel isn't a concern or the Af-560 if it is. In addition the Sigma (will check out the model) is a good option priced between the af-360 and af-560 (nearer the af-360 when last I checked).

The above only my personal experience and open to correction but hope that helps anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I might try to get a secondhand pentax one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

But still check compatibility. I made the mistake of putting flash with opposite polarity on one camera... Expensive mistake.
    But flash survived :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

^ good point. if unsure, contact pentax support with the model number that you are considering and see what they say before ordering (assumes a pentax product).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

from what i've heard a lot of metz flashes are very good, like this http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pages/metz48af1.html

Here is a review with a pentax http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=25631873&changemode=1

I'm thinhing of getting the above flash.......

Advertisement