Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

very basic amp question

• 12-06-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

I have a Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1 HDMI unit and it's connected on one side to my LCD and on the other, a sky box and a PS3. My question is... Occasionally, I want to watch tv with using the surround sound. From my very basic knowledge, the amp needs to be on all the time to hear sound yes? This is definately true with the PS3 anyway... Is there any way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Some amps have a Audio pass through (HDMI) option. I don't know whether yours does, but check the manual.

Mine is called "Amp mode" or "TV Mode" and it simply passes the audio direct to the tv speakers.

The other option (which I have done) is to connect (in my case) the ntl box via one output into ext 1 (scart) on the tv and output 2 into the dvdr and the audio output into the amp so I can watch through the tv or through the amp with both audio options too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

Occasionally, I want to watch tv with using the surround sound

Is that " without " using he surround sound ?

If its a sky HD box , it doesnt do surround over the HDMI anyway, it only does stereo , so your better off just connecting the HDMI from the sky box direct to the TV and just have an optical or coaxial cable running to the 505 for surround.

That way , you can watch TV without having the amp turned on and one of its HDMI ports is freed up for something that will use the features of the amp properly.

Its the same situation with a standard or sky+ box , just connect directly to the TV with the scart and use an optical or co-axial for surround sound.

The 505 does not do HDMI passthrough while the amp is turned off.

Advertisement