Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towns that never had a New car dealer

• 13-06-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

:D Mitchelstown in Co Cork, former home of Good Cheese , doesnt have a New Car dealership. In fact the town,with a population of about 2000 people and possibly more, has never ever had a new car dealer ever......There are a few 2nd hand dealers but there was never a franchise for any new make of car.:) and there was never a showroom or forecourt either...

So is it alone? and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

2000....only a village :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

What a fascinating thread. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

G Luxel wrote: »
    So is it alone? and why?
    1. most likely not
    2. who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

G Luxel wrote: »
    :D Mitchelstown in Co Cork .. is it alone? and why?

I'd imagine Mitchelstown didn't have a car dealership as the town was pretty much just a big dairy co-op, and if you went 20 minutes North you had new cars in Clonmel, and 20 minutes south, you have new cars in Fermoy, leaving Mitchelstown do what it did best, pull the udders off cows and make a living from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There is a Renault dealership in Moneygal... Well at least I think it's Moneygal. Must not be more than 100 people living there:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Being from Mitchelstown, i read the title and instantly thought "omg...there's others like us. We are not alone. Praise the Lord!!" Then i read the thread and saw that you were talking about us...my heart sank. But you are right Mitchelstown has never had a new car dealer. The late Jim O'Brien has however been serving most of munster with loads of sh1tty japanese imports for the last few decades. Not once have i ever gone by there and thought "wow, there is a car i would like to buy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Skerries in north county Dublin would have a much larger population than Mitchelstown and I don't think it ever had a new car showroom/garage. (I'm open to correction though!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd imagine Mitchelstown didn't have a car dealership as the town was pretty much just a big dairy co-op
    'was' being the operative word. That town has seriously nose dived in the past year or so! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I was talking to some people today about Mitchelstown and everyone agreed that there hasnt ever been a dealership. There are some in Fermoy, in Clonmel, in Cahir, in Cashel, even an opel and Kia dealership (Garryspillane) and their population is about 30 to 40 people. There were 2 dealers in Tallow, Co Waterford but both of them have closed down in the last 10 years so now there are none.

If you were to look at Cork city, most dealers have upt and left for business parks which are about 4 to 5 miles away from the city centre. The car in front of me at a traffic lights today was emblazened with Dennehy's Cross Garage on the rear screen, mudflaps and numberplate surround, but they have been closed for the last few years, in fact their service bay was demolished and turned into a giant apartment complex and their showroom is just a parking area for those working on the apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

samsemtex wrote: »
    The late Jim O'Brien has however been serving most of munster with loads of sh1tty japanese imports for the last few decades. Not once have i ever gone by there and thought "wow, there is a car i would like to buy".

Nice guy though, a pure gent actually. He had a Soarer out the back for years that I fancied.

There were plans to put a dealership in the business park just outside the town but then the big bad recession showed up and that was the end of that, for the moment anyway.

The other thing is that 10 minutes away you have Fermoy with Opel, VW and Audi dealerships. 20 minutes away is Cahir with BMW. 25 minutes brings you to Cork with as many dealerships as you could want.

No real need for one to be honest.
    'was' being the operative word. That town has seriously nose dived in the past year or so!

That's the second time I've seen you say something like that on boards, what is it that you find so bad about the place?! I'm from a mile outside the town and it's really not that bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Population of Mitchelstown, as of 2006 is 3,365.

/Pedant.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭UhOh

leaving Mitchelstown do what it did best, pull the udders off cows and make a living from it.

:D
    this thread is hilarious. My girlfriend is from Mitchelstown & isnt too happy that I'm pi**ing myself at PaintDoctor's post :D Keep it up lads, brilliant stuff.

I know that 2nd hand import garage on the way into the town alright, some awful looking yokes for sale in there. I will also say for a popualtion of, what was it, 3,365, it must have the highest % per capita of boy racers in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Leixlip, Co Kildare. Population 20k or so . Never had a new car dealership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Leixlip, Co Kildare. Population 20k or so . Never had a new car dealership

McCoy's is only a stones throw out of Leixlip though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

MYOB wrote: »
    McCoy's is only a stones throw out of Leixlip though...

true, theres also the kia garage just outside celbridge and the old closed opel garage just outside leixlip, but leixlip has never had one inside its boundaries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Ballincollig in Cork - 15760
    Never had a new car dealer afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

You are not that far from Charleville, for a small place they have more than their fair share of dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

UhOh wrote: »
    :D
    this thread is hilarious. My girlfriend is from Mitchelstown & isnt too happy that I'm pi**ing myself at PaintDoctor's post :D Keep it up lads, brilliant stuff.

I know that 2nd hand import garage on the way into the town alright, some awful looking yokes for sale in there. I will also say for a popualtion of, what was it, 3,365, it must have the highest % per capita of boy racers in the country.

Thats because of that car sales on the way into town! It encourages the boy racers. They are everywhere here. The fact it used to be a factory town probably had something to do with it too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

true, theres also the kia garage just outside celbridge and the old closed opel garage just outside leixlip, but leixlip has never had one inside its boundaries
    The Kia is Ray Crofton in Maynooth. Apparently he does Mitsubishi also. Was this the old Subaru garage?
    The Opel one was in Celbridge and the Toyota is in Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

BestThreadEver.jpgIMG%5D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
Advertisement