Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs from Germany

Options
  • 13-06-2009 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey,

I'm ordering some stuff from Germany and was just wondering how likely is customs to open a package from inside the EU?
    Also do you have to go all the way up to Dublin if they do so?

Thanks

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

As long as the good are legal in Ireland, it's highly unlikely customs will open it.

They do scan random packages, to check contents, and they do scan/read the attached documents to see what is being shipped. So, as long as what you have ordered is above board, you won't have an issue.

Even if they did open it, the package would still be sent on to you, with details of why it was opened, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You buying shiny toys off hardwareversand.de ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Zeal

the_syco wrote: »
    You buying shiny toys off hardwareversand.de ?

Not this time, my computer does need a new processor though....

Anyway should be grand, Paulw the Parcel documents for a package within the EU are inside the box are they not? maybe I'm taking you up wrong :)

Thanks though,

Zeal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, it should be sent on. You are not liable for paying Vat or duty if that is what you are worried about, since it is within the EU the value doesn't matter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Zeal wrote: »
    Anyway should be grand, Paulw the Parcel documents for a package within the EU are inside the box are they not? maybe I'm taking you up wrong :)

There's always shipping documents on the outside, with details of contents, value, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Zeal

You sure about that? Whenever I've ordered from the UK for eg, there's never been the need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Paulw wrote: »
    There's always shipping documents on the outside, with details of contents, value, etc.

Not always. Only if the sender chooses / remembers to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Paulw wrote: »
    Those are not required if the shipment is from within the EU.

Advertisement