Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muggings in Dublin 8

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

Hi Ladyluck. As soon as I saw your post I had to read it. I love in dublin 8 and have done all my life. i'm absolutely shocked that happened to you. Ok so ppl generally have their wits about them but that is sick. Two men beat you up? Can I ask whereabouts ur living in D8? PM me if u like. I like near James' hosp. I'll be watching my back from now on. I hope you're ok?? And I definitely hope you reported it to the guards.

I'm disgusted that something like that happened - esp being from the area although there's certainly a few spots i'd stay well clear of. My mother always says carry a brolly or your keys and jab an attacker in the neck to wind them and poke them in the eye with your brolly or keys (She heard it on the afternoon show) I'm pretty sure I'd die a death scream and hit the deck faster than any of that... but anyway hope you're ok. take care xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I got mugged today in santry
    scariest experience of my life.. he ran up to me,grabbed me, wrestled my phone from my pocket pushed me into trees and after threatening me to kill me ran away :eek:
    im still shaking and my new touch screen phone is gone : (
    It all happened so fast i didnt even think to fight back he was a big enough guy n wouldnt have had a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 82,943 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dont flash off your iphone on the street then

i honestly didnt i was just after getting off a bus and walking home, my phone was in my pocket with my jersey over it there was no way it could have been seen, and i had it in my pocket the whole time, didnt take it out once
    it wasnt flashy, i just liked it cause it was my phone but its just a phone
    it just scared me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Overheal wrote: »
    At least I know if someone tries to mug me here I have every right to pull out a 9mm and end him.

What kind of world do you live in, that you think it's normal to carry a gun around with you when you're going shopping, having a pint, going to work, etc? :confused:

The rest of us grab our phone and keys when we leave the house. You pack a bloody handgun?

I'm never going to America. You're all crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Gig Bee

The OP is losing a lot of credibility because she has been continuously
    asked to provide more detail on the exact location.

If she is genuinely concerned for others she wud reveal so others can be wary and take precaution.!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

i honestly didnt i was just after getting off a bus and walking home, my phone was in my pocket with my jersey over it there was no way it could have been seen, and i had it in my pocket the whole time, didnt take it out once
    it just scared me
    That sucks :( I live in Santry =/ Where abouts was it?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Meh. Muggings smuggings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Lady Luck wrote: »
    They took my bag and in the struggle one of them clenched my throat and pushed me away kinda. they didn't strike me. I still hate them. Scum.

Cherryghost, this is no laughing matter. x
    No, indeed it is no laughing matter and sorry to hear of your's and the other poster's expierences .Wonder what are the odds of the scummers ,that's what they are , getting caught ? Probably next to nothing and how many more will be victims and treated with indifference ? Horrible expierence for anybody to go through. Be careful out there ,specialy ladies on their own .

Gig Bee wrote: »
    asked to provide more detail on the exact location.

If she is genuinely concerned for others she wud reveal so others can be wary and take precaution.!!

Im beginning to think OP is just attention seeking!!!

asked to provide more detail on the exact location!!

Check history of thread>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Check history of thread>

Second sign of madness.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Second sign of madness.

1st sign is claiming sumthing happened you that didnt.

Ladyluck is just seeking attention/sympathy!!!

Because if she gave more detail(which she a continuously failed to do!)
    we might be able to expose her for the fraud she is!

That sucks :( I live in Santry =/ Where abouts was it?

opposite little venice theres a lane going into royal oak, thinking bk it was a bad idea going down that way but i go down there all of the time and have never had any trouble but i can tell you i wont be going down there again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Check history of thread>

1st sign is claiming sumthing happened you that didnt.

Ladyluck is just seeking attention/sympathy!!!

Because if she gave more detail(which she a continuously failed to do!)
    we might be able to expose her for the fraud she is!

First off, get down off your feckin' horse. When LadyLuck started this thread I pm'ed' her, as I live in Dublin 8, and I know alot of what goes on in certain parts and who's behind it. LadyLuck is genuine, if you or anyone else on the thread are concerned about your safety around Dublin 8, pm LadyLuck and ask where it happened as she had no bother in telling me.

So unless you've any more crap to post in this thread, I bid you a good day.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dont flash off your iphone on the street then

Yea, she was running aroudn the street, arms out, shouting "I HAVE A IPHONE"... gtfo tbh.

I got mugged today in santry
    scariest experience of my life.. he ran up to me,grabbed me, wrestled my phone from my pocket pushed me into trees and after threatening me to kill me ran away :eek:
    im still shaking and my new touch screen phone is gone : (
    It all happened so fast i didnt even think to fight back he was a big enough guy n wouldnt have had a chance

Ignore people like overheal... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I was mugged a few months ago in Dublin City centre. It was dark but plenty of people about. Slightly bruised but no major injury. While I wish that the scanger who did it od'ed what really annoyed me was that people didn't do anything to stop it. One middle aged man came up to me afterwards and said that he had seen the scumbag watching me and coming up behind me but didn't even shout at him to scare him off. A nice teenager did a half ass attempt to run after the guy that did it but I told him not to. The worse thing of all was that the Gardai would not come up to me when I rang. I had to walk down to Store Street to report it and the Garda was less than helpful and I actually had to tell her to write down everything I said. She just didn't give a s***. The guards seem to have more time for the junkies than their victims.

kizzyf wrote: »
    I was mugged a few months ago in Dublin City centre. It was dark but plenty of people about. Slightly bruised but no major injury. While I wish that the scanger who did it od'ed what really annoyed me was that people didn't do anything to stop it. One middle aged man came up to me afterwards and said that he had seen the scumbag watching me and coming up behind me but didn't even shout at him to scare him off. A nice teenager did a half ass attempt to run after the guy that did it but I told him not to. The worse thing of all was that the Gardai would not come up to me when I rang. I had to walk down to Store Street to report it and the Garda was less than helpful and I actually had to tell her to write down everything I said. She just didn't give a s***. The guards seem to have more time for the junkies than their victims.

Can't stand people like that, outside Dorans every weekend there does by several Roma Gypsies "selling" roses and they're always eyeing up handbags and last weekend one was literally on top of a womans' handbag and about to lean in, and not one person near the woman opened there mouths regardless of them watching so out runs myself down to her and told her. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Can't stand people like that, outside Dorans every weekend there does by several Roma Gypsies "selling" roses and they're always eyeing up handbags and last weekend one was literally on top of a womans' handbag and about to lean in, and not one person near the woman opened there mouths regardless of them watching so out runs myself down to her and told her. :cool:

:D

Gavin to the rescue.

it just scared me
    As long as you weren't making yourself a target then.

I've already been warned by others never to use a phone on the streets of Dublin - I thought they were just messing. Clearly not. But I thought that was your case.
    Yea, she was running aroudn the street, arms out, shouting "I HAVE A IPHONE"... gtfo tbh.

Ignore people like overheal... ;)
    I'll post in what thread I like. You have an ignore button. Go on. ttyl.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    What kind of world do you live in, that you think it's normal to carry a gun around with you when you're going shopping, having a pint, going to work, etc? :confused:

The rest of us grab our phone and keys when we leave the house. You pack a bloody handgun?

I'm never going to America. You're all crazy.
    If I need to pack a handgun, I would pack a handgun. Personally I dont own one (not in the budget and cant be arsed going through the process of licensing and getting a concealed weapons permit) but if I were traveling alone - sure, I could see myself carrying a handgun. There are parts of North Charleston I wouldnt like to be walking by myself, either.

You should stay out of Switzerland too so.

I also would think it intelligent if you were a delivery driver, or a Repo Man, to carry a sidearm. With the amount of people threatening you because youre taking back their furniture, or people who want to rip off the pizza boy for a quick $100. And fair play to the shopowners with guns behind the counter.

There's big a huge increase in break-ins in houses lately around the Donore Ave area I know of that, something like 5 attempted break-ins in 2 weeks within 2 roads. Only heard of one mugging tbh in the last few months.
    Grandparents house was broken in to last week while they where in the doctors, only gone for an hour and they tore the place apart.
    Wish a could catch them bastards.:mad:

• Advertisement

Grandparents house was broken in to last week while they where in the doctors, only gone for an hour and they tore the place apart.
    Wish a could catch them bastards.:mad:
    That sucks. Betting the guards dont do fingerprints?

dsmythy wrote: »
    :D

Gavin to the rescue.

Once there's Roma Gypos around, I'm there - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055223082&highlight=Roma+Gypsies

;)

That sucks. Betting the guards dont do fingerprints?
    The CSI guy came out five hours later and found nothing:( Said it must have been junkies as they only took cash. My grandparents are in their late 70s and they will never be the same, scared to open the door or leave the house:(

I don't think the gun crime rate in Switzerland is quite as high as the USA there Ted. Nice try, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

as long as you told her quietly and didnt shout across the street "watch out there luv.... theres a Roma Gypsie eye'in up yer bag !!" ...... 'cos with out fantastic legal system you'd be done for slander/libel ..... the roma gypsie would be able to afford a full set of gold teeth !!!

*not intended to offend any Roma Gypsies ...or Gav"Shels"...or anyone else for that matter.

I don't think the gun crime rate in Switzerland is quite as high as the USA there Ted. Nice try, though.
    Dont move your goalpost there boy. You said Running around the supermarket with a weapon. You called me crazy for going to the store with a licensed concealed weapon. You didnt quote gun crime at all. If you want to, then I contest, nobody would be robbing a store i am in (successfully) if i were to carry a sidearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

PCPhoto wrote: »
    as long as you told her quietly and didnt shout across the street "watch out there luv.... theres a Roma Gypsie eye'in up yer bag !!" ...... 'cos with out fantastic legal system you'd be done for slander/libel ..... the roma gypsie would be able to afford a full set of gold teeth !!!

*not intended to offend any Roma Gypsies ...or Gav"Shels"...or anyone else for that matter.

a few weeks back I was drinking outside Kehoes on South Anne Street. Roma's did two sweeps of the crowd, and on both occasions a bar man followed them shouting "thiefs coming through", they didn't even look embarassed.

Dont move your goalpost there boy. You said Running around the supermarket with a weapon. You called me crazy for going to the store with a licensed concealed weapon. You didnt quote gun crime at all.

You claimed you would require your weapon due to the threat of gun-toting muggers there boy. I would consider this gun crime.

You claimed you would require your weapon due to the threat of gun-toting muggers there boy. I would consider this gun crime.
    Im not the one being mugged in Dublin 8 though, either. Has nothing to do with them gun toting. I'd point it at a knife wielder or a thug as easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Nearly had my handbag taken yesterday while in the GPO. Two lads started following me, only copped when I headed in to a health shop and they came in after me. Was a bit suspicious about them (followed me around the shop, hovered nearby while I was paying with my card) so just paid for some stuff and ran up to my OH who was at another shop.

Keep vigilant people!

Advertisement