Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bronica SQ-A.. Problem with the shutter!?

• 13-06-2009 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Im not sure if theres many bronica users on here but ive just come across a problem since last night where I cant get my bronica to fire.. The mirror works just not the shutter.

1. Darkslide is out
    2. The actual camera is unlocked at the side.
    3. I cleaned all the contacts inside of the lense and the camera.
    4. Theres a fresh battery in it!

Still nothing :mad:

Any ideas? Is there anywhere in ireland I can send it in for repair.. down around the south east?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

By "unlocked" do you mean you have the multiple exposure on ? For the purposes of testing make sure it's on, and you're not confusing it with the mirror lockup.

Take off the back and lens and prism if you have one. Wind on if neccessary to cock the body. Hit the shutter release. The mirror and secondary baffle should pop up.

Now put the lens on the body, switch the shutter speed to it's slowest setting. wind on again if neccessary to cock the shutter. Now, while looking through the back of the camera hit the shutter button again. You should again see the mirror and baffle pop up, and the shutter open. Then you should see it close again after whatever the shutter time was that you chose. If the above doesn't happen then you have a problem ...

Have you another lens to try ? You can at least check if it's the shutter and not the body thats at fault. If you can complete all the steps above it certainly sounds as though the shutter is hosed. Normally if there was any contact problems the body just shows that red light in the viewfinder when ypu hit the shutter release.

if the shutter is hosed then you should be able to get the shutter replaced in the lens so its not a complete write off ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ok so that worked.. but when I put the back on it doesn't work hmm the back is probably broke so?

On the back should there be any moving parts like really small parts!? There 2 holes with tiny rods in them one of the rods move in and out if I move around the back...

Sorry if that makes no sense but thanks very much for explaining what to do at least ive narrowed it down a bit..

Did you ...
    1. Put on the back and lens
    2. Take out the darkslide
    3. Wind on to cock the shutter if neccessary
    4. Either make sure the multiple exposure lever is on OR there's film in the back and it's wound on to '1'
    5. Hit the shutter button.

-edit- just to re-iterate, step 2 is important, even when the multiple exposure lever is on, the darkslide needs to be removed for the shutter to fire if there isn't film in the back -edit-

What happens ? Does the red light go on in the viewfinder ?

Yeah I tried all those steps this morning! I will try it again in a bit but I don't think its going to work!

I left it on multiple exposure cause ive got no film at the moment! Its either the back or the body.. when I match up the holes on them the shutter wont fire but when I take it away it works fine.. its being blocked or something.

dazftw wrote: »
    Yeah I tried all those steps this morning! I will try it again in a bit but I don't think its going to work!

I left it on multiple exposure cause ive got no film at the moment! Its either the back or the body.. when I match up the holes on them the shutter wont fire but when I take it away it works fine.. its being blocked or something.

And you definately took the dark slide out when you put the back on ? Sounds like the back might be a bit dodge so. There's a little pin AFAIK in the corner of the back that communicates to the body as to whether or not there's a dark slide in, that might be jammed. Just try this a second. Put the back on, take out the dark slide, and then try and take the back off again. You shouldn't be able to. If you can take off the back with the dark slide out then that pin is probably jammed into position.

• Advertisement

And you definately took the dark slide out when you put the back on ? Sounds like the back might be a bit dodge so. There's a little pin AFAIK in the corner of the back that communicates to the body as to whether or not there's a dark slide in, that might be jammed. Just try this a second. Put the back on, take out the dark slide, and then try and take the back off again. You shouldn't be able to. If you can take off the back with the dark slide out then that pin is probably jammed into position.

I actually love you :D That pin you were talking about was jammed SO I got a little pin from a notice board and pushed it and it went back in and now the camera is working fine woohoo :D

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Happy days, keep on shooting! You are reviving action photography with medim format for me!

ThOnda wrote: »
    Happy days, keep on shooting! You are reviving action photography with medim format for me!

medium format is the business :cool: Im doing a bmx shoot next week so im going to use a good bit of the bronica for it! Im still waiting on getting a nice action shot with it!

dazftw wrote: »
    I actually love you :D That pin you were talking about was jammed SO I got a little pin from a notice board and pushed it and it went back in and now the camera is working fine woohoo :D

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!! :)

Excellent, good stuff :-)

Advertisement