Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question- no right or wrong answer

Options
  • 13-06-2009 7:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭

Pop quiz hotshots, the circus is in town and you have to make a choice. Would you rather:

a) go to an average UFC card at the O2
    or
    b) go to an excellent Irish card

Assuming ticket prices are as normal for shows like this etc. Just interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Irish card without a doubt.

The razzamatazz of The O2 was pretty exciting, ie the venue was spectacular and the atmospher in the build up to the fights was brilliant but for me thats where it ended.

Probably because I'd know the majority of the guys fighting, or I'd know their coachs or have trained in their clubs I feel alot more involved with the Irish events.

So there ya go, Irish everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Assuming there both in dublin and i dont have to travel i'd go to the stacked irish card..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

cowzerp wrote: »
    Assuming there both in dublin and i dont have to travel i'd go to the stacked irish card..
    Lol i love the willingness to travel.

On a different note Tonights the night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Lol i love the willingness to travel.

On a different note Tonights the night!!

Ha ha.

i travel all the time, but given 1 on my doorstep and 1 in belfast i'd go with the doorstep show, if they where a week apart i'd go to both..

i'd prob have someone on the show in belfast so would have no choice anyway!!

best of luck to you and your guys tonight

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ha thats true, I'd have to travel no matter where the show was on...stupid kilkenny...
    Same to yourself and your guys paul...well except for John ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

In all honesty, I would go to the UFC card. Unless one of my family/friends were on the local card. Its not that I would have anything against the local show but to a "newbie" to mma the "UFC" would have much more appeal.

It is in some ways like the Shamrock Rovers v Real Madrid match which will be an absoulete sell out, just because its Real Madrid even if they do put out an average team people will want to go because its Real Madrid.

But when its a top Premier Division game lets say between Bohs and rovers you would be lucky to maybe get 3-4,000 people at it. A lot of people will buy into the brand and in this case the "UFC" is the brand.

I often think back to the early days of MMA shows in Ireland, and in particular Ring of Truth I.

Almost the entire audience came from some form of M.A. background/club, at the time we were all tipping our toe's in the MMA water's, damn they were exciting times for MMA in Ireland, and they have carried me over to this day.

I've never bought into the whole UFC thing as I could never truely identify with the fighters but I can understand the whole thing when its explained in the thread above this.

Best of luck tonight Paul, I'm sure this is gonna be a cracker, I love seeing MMA fought in the ring rather than the cage.

I'd most likely go to the UFC unless someone I've trained with in the past or know well is fighting on the Irish card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think that the main deciding factor here for most people is knowledge and familiarity with the fighters. Guys here who train and compete and who are friends with fighters who may be on an Irish show like that would jean towards the Irish show

Others who haven't been to an Irish show but who regularly watch the UFC aren't going to pick their first Irish event on a night when UFC's in town

I'd be somewhere in the middle, although leaning towards the UFC show because there are a few more possible fighters on the card who I would wish to see live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

At the moment i would most likely choose an average local show over a stacked UFC. While i enjoyed my time at the UFC/Cage Rage etc there was a degree of removal from the excitement i felt at ROT's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

i dont see this happening - its hard enough to promote grass roots shows so going head to head is a not going to happen - but as others said - it would depend on having a friend fight on the card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'd most likely go to the UFC unless someone I've trained with in the past or know well is fighting on the Irish card.

+1 although it would be a difficult decision. If I could guarantee seeing the Irish fight on video afterwards I'd definitely go to the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

having been to the first few ROT's and loved them and brought complete newbies to the genre who also loved them, I would say UFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

vasch_ro wrote: »
    having been to the first few ROT's and loved them and brought complete newbies to the genre who also loved them, I would say UFC
    LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I generally wouldn´t bother going to Dublin to see the UFC unless say Brock Lesnar was fighting Kimbo or something but I would definately go see a stacked Irish card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

UFC all the way. Y'all must be crazy! Nothing beats the crowd of a large-scale event.

dlofnep wrote: »
    UFC all the way. Y'all must be crazy! Nothing beats the crowd of a large-scale event.

I've come home hoarse and on a high from Paul Cowzer's Rumble in Rush last night, and came home from the UFC in the O2 feeling slightly entertained.

Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I've come home hoarse and on a high from Paul Cowzer's Rumble in Rush last night, and came home from the UFC in the O2 feeling slightly entertained.

Go figure.

And it was only €25, how much was the UFC?

Killme00 wrote: »
    And it was only €25, how much was the UFC?

Can't remember, I think about $90 each (I bought a ticket for me and my son) then I'd to buy two radio's to listen to the commentry @ €10 each and then I'd to watch probably 90% of the action on the big screens because the cage was so far away.

Honestly, after the O2 experience I'd have absolutely no desire to attend a UFC event again.

Irish all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Go figure.

Don't get me wrong, I love the atmosphere of events like that. RoT had some classic fights - But I think UFC is an entirely different kind of atmosphere.. For me, it's usually an entire weekend away on the piss with a few lads - so theres always a craic to be had.

• Advertisement

Rumble in Rush pretty much proved my point yesterday. An average looking Irish card with only one Pro Fight and i think everyone in the room was very entertained all night.

Well done Paul on a very enjoyable show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I'd sooner do the national show obviously, but there's a few fights I'd make an exception for. Like say if it was BJ and GSP again, mind you, you would have to ask what moron would try to put on an MMA event that night. The O2 in January was a great night and even though the card wasn't great and the fights weren't great either, the whole atmosphere and wow factor was excellent and worth going for.

That being said, I think you local shows compete just as well given that the most expensive ticket is a third of the price of the least expensive ticket to a UFC. They obviously can't compete in terms of production values and venue facilities, but they certainly compete in terms of atmosphere. Also, you get ringside no matter where you are :).

Also, Dragan, that was you taking photos last night? I didn't recognise you with the beard.

Roper wrote: »
    Also, Dragan, that was you taking photos last night? I didn't recognise you with the beard.

Yeah that was me, i've gone the Jesus route.

Advertisement