Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brining home Wine & Beer from France

• 13-06-2009 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im new to posting here so if im in wrong place please direct me! Myself and family are traveling to France (Rosslare-Cherbourg) in July. I have always heard there are plenty of warehouses selling cheap wine etc at the ports? Is this true anyone point me in right irection? Also I know you can bring in as much as you like as long as its for personal consumption, but does anyone get hassle? How doesone prooveits for personal conumtion?

Any feedback would be greatly apprecitated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Normandy wines in Cherbourg is pretty good (accross from the huge hypermarket) - you can try some of the wines before you buy, although you'd probably do better finding an outlet further inland.

As regards customs, unless you have van filled to the top, no one will question you.
    Anything you can fit in a family car will be absolutely fine.

Enjoy and don't choose too cheap, not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

We used to go across on the Chunnel a couple of times a year to Calais and load up. Never had an issue (would be spending around £500 - £1K stg on wines between 3 of us - up to 200 bottles or so of wine)....

The only people (as the previous poster said) I have seen stopped are large Vans stocked to the brim with wine. Even then, most of them seemed to be allowed to pass through.

You won't have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Thanks, I figured as much but from time to time one hear's horror stories. I have heard of people who bought a small trailer over there and filled it up. To be honest I don't know if I'd actually use that amount over time. But a chea trailer ould always be usefull.

Advertisement