Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: type 2 diabetes

• 13-06-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hallo all..

I had a baby 5 months ago, and during my pregnancy, I developed gestational diabetes. All was ok, controlled through diet and the like, and I was told that it would all revert back to normal afterwards. For a while, all seemed to be grand. In the last month or so, however, I've been falling asleep - a few very hairy moments while driving, afraid to drive on my own anymore, falling asleep with my head in my arms at the kitchen table, that sort of thing. This corresponds with a turn for the worse in my eating habits, I fell seriously off the wagon. I know that tiredness itself means nothing and wouldn't be unusual in the mother of a 5 month old baby, but he's been sleeping through the night since 7 weeks, I really can't use him as an excuse.

Anyway, I decided to pull the diet in control again myself. I'm also testing again, but I don't know what the levels for type 2 are, only gestational diabetes. With GD, I was told it should be under 5 before a meal, and under 7 2 hours later. My fasting level this morning was 5.3 and two hours after breakfast, it is now 8.4... they would have been bad while pregnant, are they now? In fact, the levels I'm seeing now are worse than the ones I was seeing while pregnant - I could handle toast while pregnant and would be below the 7 after 2 hours. I do have an appointment with the diabetes clinic in July and will bring all of this up then, in the meantime I'm trying to improve things myself but I've no idea if this is an acceptable level or not. Any input would be welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

We can not give medical advice here, however on a personal level I would suggest seeing your gp if nothing else to get reassurance - I am closing this thread for now, however if you feel that it is appropriate to reopen this thread after seeing your gp please pm me and we can discuss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement