Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect IP for host

Options
  • 13-06-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    Problem : When I ping host name (Elder) from command prompt on win2k server I get an IP address of 69.64.155.120.
    ping elder = 69.64.155.120
    ping younger = 69.64.155.120

My LAN IP range is of the 192.168.1.xxx variety.
    Server MuiltHomed (NAT)
    Primary DNS : 192.168.1.254
    Secondary DNS : 159.134.237.6
    router (Netopia 3341) IP 192.168.1.254

All XP hosts and Win 2k Server have static IP addresses

Using ipconfig /flushdns clears ip address and related host names, I am led to believe.

Using ipconfig /displaydns show the names of host and their IP addresses.

I can ping the static ip address of each host okay and thew network is working fine. It is just the DNSName resolution that is bothering me. Actually it has just occurred to me so I ping-ed any old host name at all and I get the same IP address returned (69.64.155.120.).

I did disconnect/power down the router but this does not change the results.

lmhosts and hosts have not been edited or changed from default.

Another odd thing. On clinet (elder)if I run a ipconfig /displaydns and I get access from the clinet to the LAN network interface/card on the server(with the router powered down) and a table of addresses is displayed. If I do a ipconfig /flushdns (reporting okay) and then a ipconfig /displaydns I get the same addresses. These are on a series of 127.0.0.1 to internet addresses results.

Anyone any ideas of what is going on? And how to resolve. I am powering down all equipment for the next two hours.

I thought at first it was a router problem and it may well be. Or is it a DNS lookup/Reverse lookup problem on the server?

Tommy.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tommygib wrote: »
    Hi,
    Problem : When I ping host name (Elder) from command prompt on win2k server I get an IP address of 69.64.155.120.
    ping elder = 69.64.155.120
    ping younger = 69.64.155.120

My LAN IP range is of the 192.168.1.xxx variety.
    Server MuiltHomed (NAT)
    Primary DNS : 192.168.1.254
    Secondary DNS : 159.134.237.6
    router (Netopia 3341) IP 192.168.1.254

All XP hosts and Win 2k Server have static IP addresses

Using ipconfig /flushdns clears ip address and related host names, I am led to believe.

Using ipconfig /displaydns show the names of host and their IP addresses.

I can ping the static ip address of each host okay and thew network is working fine. It is just the DNSName resolution that is bothering me. Actually it has just occurred to me so I ping-ed any old host name at all and I get the same IP address returned (69.64.155.120.).

I did disconnect/power down the router but this does not change the results.

lmhosts and hosts have not been edited or changed from default.

Another odd thing. On clinet (elder)if I run a ipconfig /displaydns and I get access from the clinet to the LAN network interface/card on the server(with the router powered down) and a table of addresses is displayed. If I do a ipconfig /flushdns (reporting okay) and then a ipconfig /displaydns I get the same addresses. These are on a series of 127.0.0.1 to internet addresses results.

Anyone any ideas of what is going on? And how to resolve. I am powering down all equipment for the next two hours.

I thought at first it was a router problem and it may well be. Or is it a DNS lookup/Reverse lookup problem on the server?

Tommy.

Looks like you're infected with a storm worm variant. That's an IP it uses as a proxy.

Advertisement