Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signatures...

• 13-06-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

Here's my quandry when you're selling prints which of the following do you do.

To you put your signature on your prints in either of the following manners

eg 1. (Your Name) '09 (copyright symbol)

eg 2. (Your Name) '09

eg 3. (Your Name) (copyright symbol)

I've just sold 2 prints and I was wondering before I get them sent off to be printed which is the best way to do it.

Also do you put it in the bottom right hand side of bottom left. I'm thinking bottom left obiviously small & unintrusive.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i dont understand why folk put copyright in the image....is it not always copyrighted, regardless of it being printed on the image, small signature plus maybe date... using a pen would be a nice touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

i dont understand why folk put copyright in the image....is it not always copyrighted, regardless of it being printed on the image, small signature plus maybe date... using a pen would be a nice touch

+1

maybe write the date, location (or similar e.g. if it's a flower the name of the flower) and your name in full on the back of the print. If I'd bought a print I wouldn't be very happy with a copyright statement on the picture; to me it gives the impression of a mass produced image rather than art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

If you're getting a print done up, what's the point in even putting a copyright symbol on it. I'd rather sign a mount with my name on it rather than put anything on a printed image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

On the back of the print;

My own signature followed by the year, the print title and print number.

If requested, I'll initial the mount board too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

I don't sign my work. When I'm big and famous and someone auctions off a 'Trevor Nolan Original' why the hell should they make more money off my name than I did initially...??

*I'm joking obviously... I do the same as Fajitas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

sign the print, and maybe the mount, but if only one sign the print someone could take it out of the mount

you want a pigment based ink pen to sign with, sharpies are good

when you get them printed make sure to have loads of paper for the signature

i wouldnt bother with the copyright either, but date it etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

thanks everyone I only asked about the copyright 'cause someone had said I needed it. I was disagree the fact that I'd be signing it and dating it would cover the "copyrighting" without adding the symbol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Artistic work is always copyrighted, by definition. It doesn't matter what (if anything) you write on it, it is under copyright.

There is no reason to use the copyright symbol for anything. Intellectual property law in the United States once required a copyright notice (including the author's name and year of publication) on protected works, but this has since been obviated.

I have made the point before that many photographers don't seem to care about intellectual property law beyond the simplistic belief that the protection afforded to their own work is sacrosanct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

charybdis wrote: »
    No.

Artistic work is always copyrighted, by definition. It doesn't matter what (if anything) you write on it, it is under copyright.

There is no reason to use the copyright symbol for anything. Intellectual property law in the United States once required a copyright notice (including the author's name and year of publication) on protected works, but this has since been obviated.

I have made the point before that many photographers don't seem to care about intellectual property law beyond the simplistic belief that the protection afforded to their own work is sacrosanct.

wha? I think you just made the point the poster was making.. read better next time maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Yep. Misread it as "it is not always copyrighted".

Thanks for the correction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

You can make a stensil in photoshop for stamping on your pics. i cant remember it exactly but it involves taking a photo of your own signature and deleting the bacground. then you follow some other steps and it'll then be in your list of pencil shapes.
    do a search for it if its something you'd be interested, i defo found it in the boardsie photo section. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd rather sign a print myself than ever... ever add a digital sig tbh :)

Advertisement