Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Otter in the River beside Pennys

Options
  • 13-06-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Was shopping with missus yesterday and had a look from the bridge that brings you into pennys. Some lovely trout rising for flies every couple of minutes. Couldnt believe my eyes to see an otter swim lazily around the river. He popped his head above water for a couple of seconds then took off under the bridge. Seen this at 12pm yesterday afternoon. With all the hustle and bustle going on of a Friday afternoon it was great to see something so unexpected.

Oh and by the way, hello to everyone on the Carlow forum. I have been living down here for the past year and love it!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For a moment, I thought this was in the Waterford Forum and was wondering "What river by Pennys?!"

Welcome to the forum dude

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

thats deadly, mind you they can be dangerous too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

patrickc wrote: »
    thats deadly, mind you they can be dangerous too

Feck that, i'll pop the old 300mm on the camera and get in across the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

stick-dan wrote: »
    Feck that, i'll pop the old 300mm on the camera and get in across the river.

Il tell you what, If you could get a pic of the otter at that location it would surely make the front page of the Nationalist. Would make a nice change to have a feel good story on the front page. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

there used to be otters there years ago too, they mainly seemed to frequent the weir at thompsons for years but disappeared when all the development started. Hopefully they will be back to stay now its all settled again. (until the park is ripped up as per the town plans)

• Advertisement

dublincelt wrote: »
    Il tell you what, If you could get a pic of the otter at that location it would surely make the front page of the Nationalist. Would make a nice change to have a feel good story on the front page. ;)

Yeah i might get there some time next week. Don't know the nationalist prefer to stick to their own photographers don't they as do most local papers in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

This thread is otter sh1te...sorry i couldn't resist that.

Otters have been known to come into towns and citys due to lack of food and the fact that more Otters get caught in snares than any other animal in the country. Its the same as the urban fox thing that happens where i live nearly every day. Otters can be dangerous if cornered or they think you are a threat to their young, but they can be very tame. I shared a sandwich with one when i was fishing years ago.

Minks on the other hand will attack you for the sake of it. I have had mink attack my nets trying to get at the fish and then try attack me when i tried to get rid of it. The best one ever was one day our old terrier flew across the lawn closely pursued by a mink. Out of nowhere one of our cats jumped out of the bushes and flattened the mink.

Regarding the picture, if you contacted Tony Maher photographer from the Carlow People, he would get it put in the paper for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carolinei

Hiya,

We had dinner in the Lemon Grass one night and looking out over the river low and behold a family of otters on the other side of the bank - It would have been in April and there were 2 parents and 2 young, and yes it is great to see. They are beautiful creatures.

Went up there friday with the telezoom and couldn't spot the otters anywhere, i must have hung out for about an hour so it wasn't down to my determination that i didn't see them. What times did ye all see them at? They may have praticularily active hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Went up there friday with the telezoom and couldn't spot the otters anywhere, i must have hung out for about an hour so it wasn't down to my determination that i didn't see them. What times did ye all see them at? They may have praticularily active hours.

ive spent ages loking for them too on various occasions, all to no joy either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

12pm on a Friday afternoon the friday before last. Loads of shoppers around too and the Otter didnt seem to be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Sorry, couldnt resist! :D

well that was about the size of it.:pac:

Advertisement