Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Storm: Apps & VF Live!

• 13-06-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone with a blackberry storm confirm if it is possible to use internet applications like google maps etc with the live.vodafone.com APN? Or are these apps restricted to using the BB APN only?

I am thinking about getting the storm (more likely storm 2) and would like to use such applications abroad using the vodafone live! APN, like I currently do with my Touch Pro, therefore not incurring any additional charges.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

Hi I use bb storm on prepay with vodafone. I had to switch the APN to the vodafone.ie to enable all my apps to work eg gmail google maps opera mini etc. Costs 19c per mb. I find this a very fair price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Thanks for the reply!

If the ISP APN can be used for those apps. Then the Live! APN will work for them also :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not necessarily true. Most ports are blocked on the live APN. It may be all bar 80 iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@gunnerfitzy
    Maybe I've missed something along the way here but just in case...

* I think rordeb is saying he has to use isp.vodafone.ie to get the applications to work.
    * You seem to be suggesting that because it works with ISP it will work with Live - this isn't the case. ISP is far less restrictive (i.e. no restrictions or very very minor ones) than Live and doesn't run through the Vodafone proxy.

++ edit - Davys in my posts stealing my ideas :(

Thanks guys.

I know that the Live! APN is far more restrictive. But I have used google maps, facebook, opera mini and POP email with the Live! APN and had no problems. However Fring and Skype are two applications that I know will not work with the Live! APN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

I cannot get any of those to work on the Storm using Live. Am happy to use othe apn

hmmm... thats not good. I guess i need to check out a storm in person. i asked this question in the VF forum over a week ago but i'm still waiting for someone from VF to reply.

thanks for the reply

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi all,

Can anyone with a blackberry storm confirm if it is possible to use internet applications like google maps etc with the live.vodafone.com APN? Or are these apps restricted to using the BB APN only?

I am thinking about getting the storm (more likely storm 2) and would like to use such applications abroad using the vodafone live! APN, like I currently do with my Touch Pro, therefore not incurring any additional charges.

Thanks in advance

Not wanting yo P*ss on your chips, but you do know the reviews on the Storm were atrocious? I looked at getting one, and was immediately struck by how VF were giving them away while every other BB was €250-300. Do yourself a favour and get to see a real live working one before you buy.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Not wanting yo P*ss on your chips, but you do know the reviews on the Storm were atrocious? I looked at getting one, and was immediately struck by how VF were giving them away while every other BB was €250-300. Do yourself a favour and get to see a real live working one before you buy.

oh ive heard the reviews and I know a lot of people aren't happy. I have heard that the software updates have improved the usability significantly. as for the screen I believe that it just a like it or hate part of the phone.

i wouldnt dream of getting a new one with VF, i would however consider getting one second hand if i got it at a good price while waiting for the storm 2 which is supposed to be much better (wifi, camera etc)

I do need to play with one for a while though to make up my mind :cool:

Advertisement