Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is strange...

Options
  • 13-06-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

Ok so I am currently on UTV 3mb but I signed up for BT 24mb a few weeks ago. I found out this week that UTV had refused to sign over my details to BT so there was a delay. I rang UTV and sorted it and BT sent me an email saying that because of the delay it would take them 3 weeks more to switch me over to them.

But I was just downloading something and I realised that the speeds were super fast. Instead of 300kb/s that I normally get from UTV I was on 1.5mb/s.

So naturally I assumed that the BT switchover had just happened really fast. But I went to speedtest.net to figure out what my broadband speed is and it came up that it was just about 15mb but it also said that my ISP is UTV Internet:confused:

UTV had rang me to ask me to stay with them, but they said that the max speed they could give me was 7.5 meg.

So how accurate is the ISP recognition on speedtest. net?? I know it is not the most accurate device for figuring out speed but how accurate is it for figuring out your ISP?

Obviously I'm not complaining:D But I'm just curious as to what is going on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Go to your routers administrative control panel and see what speed you are syncing at. This should also tell you if you are connecting using ADSL or ADSL2+ standards.

From the information provided I would guess that you have been moved over to BT's service.

When I switched to BT's 24Mb there was a period where I was on BT for broadband but Eircom for telephone services. This may be the same as what is happening here and BT have given you an estimate for both services to be moved over.

Advertisement