Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Wilkinson - Broadway and Beyond

• 13-06-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Colm Wilkinson's got a few concerts on - anyone going to one of these? They seem to have been very badly advertised; I only knew there was one in Cork when I saw the worlds smallest ad about two months ago in the paper but other than that nothing. Anyway I'm heading to the one in the Cork Opera House on the 21st.

http://www.colmwilkinson.com/tour.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Great concert tonight - really enjoyed it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Just found out about this now, both Dublin shows sold out. :(

Did you try ringing the box-office? Cork Opera House had it marked as sold-out on their website but they still had a few single seats scattered around.

I'll give that a try tomorrow morning, thanks!

Going to see him in Sligo on the 4th of July. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

JohnK wrote: »
    Great concert tonight - really enjoyed it :cool:

I was there too, great show/singer/entertainer but the CD on sale in the Foyer is really crap with most of the songs virtual unknowns.

Some empty seats alright, not many, maybe people with freebies didn't bother turning up as the weather was so good?

I haven't actually had a chance to listen to the CD yet but I think my parents liked it anyway. And it was quite cheap I thought at only €10 - usually they'd gouge you at a concert like that.

Yeah given the weather on Sunday I'm surprised there weren't more empty seats although I didn't see any empty seats myself but then I was close enough to the front. Wish they'd have turned on the aircon though as it was bloody hot in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I didn't hear the Cd but the parents and some neighbours did and they thought it was crap....maybe I'd like it, I dont know.

On the subject of aircon in the Cork Opera House, I dont think they have any. They probably have heating but no aircon to cool the place. You'd think they'd have put in a decent aircon system like Central Air when they were renovating the place especially with the acts up on stage sweating under the lights makes it even worse for them, even Colm Wilkinson commented on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Way too much of the Beyond and not enough of the Broadway for my liking!! And as for those two women...I didn't pay €45 to have to listen to that!!

Yeah, it would've been nice to hear at least Who Am I after he went to the bother of putting the jacket on just for Bring Him Home...

• Advertisement

Sure it would have been nice to hear more from Les Mis and other shows but I suppose the point of the tour is that he can do more than sing songs from musicals - it is called Broadway and Beyond afterall.

True, and I did enjoy most of the songs, and the show in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I'm going to this on sunday in wexford! Woo! :)

Wow, that was an amazing night. Never thought I'd hear 'Bring him home' from the man himself, but whaddya know! Had a great seat too. :D Sigh..what a voice.

Yeah you just knew you were in for a treat once he put that coat on :D

Haha! yeah..it was a bit of a dream come true alright!
    My only regret was that we were out the door and on the road home before we realised that we'd forgotten to buy the cd. :(
    Myself and dad drove 100 miles from kildare, and we figured the theatre would be closed by the time we turned around and went back.
    Does anyone know if you can buy it online or anywhere in dublin?? :o

Got this link from his website http://cdbaby.com/cd/colm

Oh wicked..will order that so! We were raging cos it would have been great to listen to in the car on the way home! I had Les Mis with me thankfully! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 michaelflynn61

I went to see him in Wexford on Sat night and I have to say that overall I was very disappointed. What he sang well, he did REALLY well like Bring him home, stuff from Man of La Mancha, Imagine. But alot of it I found quite irritating and almost Karaoke/Cabaret. And when you are paying alot of money you do not expect that, I mean come on, Country roads and wind beneath my wings??? And while it is nice to go and see a performer and them chat to you a little bit he was waaaayyy over the top. Rambling on and on about stuff, he could have sang alot more songs. I thought there was a Bono-esque style to him. He clearly loves himself. At one stage he told a run of about 6 "Dublin Wit" jokes. Like I went to see Colm Wilkinson sing, what he does best, not tell jokes. The two girls with him were good singers but didnt seem to care what they were singing, there was no passion in them. And while the band were good, they were at times a little karaoke, they didnt blow me away. Parts I enjoyed but overall like I said I was disappointed.

I went to see him in Wexford on Sat night and I have to say that overall I was very disappointed. What he sang well, he did REALLY well like Bring him home, stuff from Man of La Mancha, Imagine. But alot of it I found quite irritating and almost Karaoke/Cabaret. And when you are paying alot of money you do not expect that, I mean come on, Country roads and wind beneath my wings??? And while it is nice to go and see a performer and them chat to you a little bit he was waaaayyy over the top. Rambling on and on about stuff, he could have sang alot more songs. I thought there was a Bono-esque style to him. He clearly loves himself. At one stage he told a run of about 6 "Dublin Wit" jokes. Like I went to see Colm Wilkinson sing, what he does best, not tell jokes. The two girls with him were good singers but didnt seem to care what they were singing, there was no passion in them. And while the band were good, they were at times a little karaoke, they didnt blow me away. Parts I enjoyed but overall like I said I was disappointed.

+1

I thought his jokes were crude and did not rate the girls with him at all. They sounded like they'd never rehearsed with the band, the younger one was very breathy but she was a million times better than the older one! At the same time we paid to see him and I felt cheated.

Only one song struck me as amazing - This Is The Moment, wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭gerdalt

Just back from the July 2nd show in the BGE. Great singer.
    BUT no comedian - told absolutely pathetic puerile jokes for about 15 minutes. Not what I paid for.
    He then went on and read his 'list' - names of people in the audience about whom I neither know nor care.
    Also definitely not what I paid for.
    It really was a boring waste of 20 minutes of the show.
    Then before he sang his last song (Bring him home) we had another rambling monologue about someone in Canada.
    The man should take his wife's advice and just SING.
    I thought the two girls were OK.

gerdalt wrote: »
    I thought the two girls were OK.

My post is four years old, if it's the same girls I'd have hoped they'd have improved ;)

Advertisement