Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBV Issue

Options
  • 13-06-2009 3:28pm

I just read Devore's post in the Poker Forum regarding the idiotic behaviour of a number of poker forum posters, myself included, in regards to the Cuckoo's Nest "Let's Count to a Million" thread.

Kerash rightly utilised this forum in making the complaint known to the Admins and the thread was locked and moved pending your decision.

I respectfully disagree with the action you have taken.

The BBV has developed as a thread over the last number years into a general discussion and chat thread which has been central to a sense of community which exists among a great number of poker players. It brought me, for one, into the community and has been a place where we debated ideas on politics, history, poker, celebrity, music and has also been an engine for good. As a result of a post I put in the BBV (which I am unable to find atm) this occured, allowing 5 kids to attend a camp they otherwise would not have been able to. Similarly, as a result of that sense of community, a mod of the poker forum has raised a lot of money through a tournament being run tomorrow as well as personal donations from a number of posters.No similar thread exists in the other forum he moderates (Soccer) as, arguably, a similar sense of community does not exist.

I freely hold my hand up and say that my post in the Cuckoo's Nest thread was completely out of line, as were the posts of a great number of other poker forum posters. This was done for no other reason than we believed, in our arrogance perhaps, that the "Let's Count to a Million" thread was something to be mocked. Regardless, our actions were wrong and deserve punishment. However to punish the entire forum (BBV is the most viewed thread on the entire site after all) seems somewhat disproportionate to the crime.

I would freely accept a ban from poker, or indeed a site ban, for whatever the admins thought was a reasonable amount of time to reconcile my actions. I am sure many if not all of the other offenders would do the same so that we could restore the BBV to its former pride of place at the top of the Poker Forum.

It is used by 50 times more people than were responsible for the actions which brought about this issue and punishing all for the actions of a few is not right, nor is it fair. To lose the most viewed and one of the largest threads on boards due to the actions of a few idiots, and I hold my hands up and say my actions were idiotic, would be a shame.

I implore the Admins, for the good of the poker forum and in the interests of fairness to reconsider their decision and place the burden for this act upon the perpetrators and not upon the forum at large.

Comments

Advertisement