Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My aviary set-up

Options
  • 13-06-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Guineapigrescue asked to see some pictures of my aviary setup in another thread, so I thought I'd stick them up here rather than drag the other thread off topic.

I have one large flight cage with two budgies, can be moved indoors and outdoors, and has an insulated night time box.
    The door between the night time box and the rest of the cage can be closed so that you can clean one side while the boards are in the other side.

DSC01922.jpg

DSC01923.jpg

DSC01924.jpg

DSC01925.jpg

And I have a large garden aviary, inside is heavily insulated so it has got a good temperature all year round. Door way between the inside and outside can be closed to facilitate cleaning etc.

DSC01912.jpg

DSC01914.jpg

DSC01919.jpg

DSC01921.jpg

DSC01920.jpg

Shed needs a lick of paint and a bit of a tidy up but the birds are happy out, much happier than they were in small cages anyway!
    Anyone who has any questions ask away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Great pics, so nice to see birds in aviaries rather than tiny cages.
    Interesting how you converted the shed, never thought of doing it that way so that you can still walk in to it. Wish I'd used my block and tried that way.
    What's that you have on the floor of the aviaries?

Our aviary is empty now (down to one special needs indoor tiel).
    Thinking of using it for fostering cats although it's right beside the dog run so not sure if that would work.
    It's a bit neglected atm will get around to giving it a Spring clean.
    I don't want to leave it to waste it wasn't cheap to put together.

I love birds but not planning on getting anymore our tiel keeps us on our toes anyway.

If I had my way I'd have a load of avaries, sounds silly, but not with birds in them I just love playing around with them thinking of different things to put in them..sad I know.

Had two budgies just like yours they were real sweethearts.
    tralalatwo.jpg
    DaytwoatRockysTavernTutterandBouli.jpg

Pic before door was put on the flight area.
    flighttwo.jpg

Planted a wee crab apple out the front of it, it looks miserable in winter but at this time of year it looks nice. Plus the birds could snack on the leaves etc.
    74c26913.jpg

Posted pics before but here's more. I used to leave a regular bird cage inside the shed part with the cage doors open so the budgies could pop in and out, it was a handy place to place their food and water because they were used to being fed like that for years and they would pop back in by themselves at night. Into the shed then into the cage.

wonkypicofaviary.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Great pics, so nice to see birds in aviaries rather than tiny cages.
    Interesting how you converted the shed, never thought of doing it that way so that you can still walk in to it. Wish I'd used my block and tried that way.
    What's that you have on the floor of the aviaries?

Our aviary is empty now (down to one special needs indoor tiel).
    Thinking of using it for fostering cats although it's right beside the dog run so not sure if that would work.
    It's a bit neglected atm will get around to giving it a Spring clean.
    I don't want to leave it to waste it wasn't cheap to put together.

I love birds but not planning on getting anymore our tiel keeps us on our toes anyway.

If I had my way I'd have a load of avaries, sounds silly, but not with birds in them I just love playing around with them thinking of different things to put in them..sad I know.

Had two budgies just like yours they were real sweethearts.

Lovely set up you have there, way nicer than mine. Did you have it professionally made? I use cat litter on the floor of the aviarys.

I haven't got many birds at the moment either, used to have loads of lovely different breeds, star finches, diamond doves, weavers, java finches etc, but mice got into the aviary and most of them died.
    At the moment I have the two budgies, three zebra finches, a spice finch, a bengalese finch, and two canaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

great looking aviaries both of you!have one myself out thr back!was just budgies orginally but got donated a tiel from down the road!and then one somehow found its way to the aviary :confused: caught it so it didnt get taken by the cats next door!its haooy there ever since!noo one ever claimed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We had to get someone in to put in the patio and then someone else to build the shiplap shed was pure luck we found someone on a board that had the same shed and they put us on to the guy that made it for us.
    Then hired another guy to build the shed base and the aviary he made a good start on it but hubby had to finish a lot of it and wire it. The wiring was a real pain in the butt it's fiddley and takes ages.

We put thick base boards on the bottom on to the concrete and 1/4 aviary wire and double doors so the only thing that can get in it the odd bumble bee or spider. No problems with rats or mice which I was suprised at because it's up the top of the garden thought we'd have something chewing at it at this stage.

The bottom of the shed has insulation on it but never insulated the walls and roof, with the thick shiplap it was ok anyway but I still want to get that done and then plywood over it.

Those pics were when it was just being finished so looked nice and new it doesn't look too bad at the moment but needs a coat of wood stain in places. At one stage we added a mini avairy within the avairy didn't use it much because couldn't come up with a proper shelter area. We built a wee shelter area and then couldn't figure out how to put high up and make it secure enough so it doesn't fall down. Think hubby gave up at that point he'd had enough of it.

Painting it was a pain as well but most of it I painted as the timbers were going up usually managed to get two coats on the wood before the frames were made.

We had a good summer that year as well which helped.

Just wish we could clear all the junk and a big mound of rubble and grass etc. to put some more sheds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

We had to get someone in to put in the patio and then someone else to build the shiplap shed was pure luck we found someone on a board that had the same shed and they put us on to the guy that made it for us.
    Then hired another guy to build the shed base and the aviary he made a good start on it but hubby had to finish a lot of it and wire it. The wiring was a real pain in the butt it's fiddley and takes ages.

We put thick base boards on the bottom on to the concrete and 1/4 aviary wire and double doors so the only thing that can get in it the odd bumble bee or spider. No problems with rats or mice which I was suprised at because it's up the top of the garden thought we'd have something chewing at it at this stage.

Cool, ours were both built by my dad, the smaller one has on mice problems cause its off the ground, but they must've managed to get into the bigger one through the wire, because the concrete goes down about half a foot so they can't have burrowed in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ciaran_mc

Hiya

This is my first time on here so sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    i was just wondering if someone could advise me on the best way to go.
    I have a outdoor aviary with canaries and European gold finches I was wondering what other birds could i mix with them ?

Thanks for your help
    Ciaran
    bird2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kevhog88

you can basically have any other sort of finch with them.. any more pics of your goldies???

Advertisement