Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from USA - Guns Allowed?

Options
  • 13-06-2009 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'm moving to Dublin from the USA. I have 2 handguns I'd be interested in bringing over, a full size and compact sized Glock.

What are the rules and regulations? I know there has been a bill passed recently making it more difficult (or impossible)?

Money is not an issue, so registration or gun club membership fees are a breeze. I've tried contacting a shooting club in Dublin for more information but have not received a response yet.

Can anyone help me clarify? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FORGET IT!,unless you had a liscense for themhere in Ireland before Nov 17th 2008.There is no way they will liscense anything big calibre now.And even us lucky few who had liscenses before that date are on pretty shaky ground,as we really dont know wether these will be renewed or banned by some ministerial sleight of hand..:(
    Unless you are going to take up an Olympic disipline style pistol shooting,and pay about 1500 euros for a very accruate.22 pistol,or air pistol.And we really dont know how well this will work out either,as the procedures for this are still not sorted out either...
    That is about the future of pistol shooting in the republic of Ireland at the moment...
    Two choices.
    Stay in the US.You would be much better off when it comes to gun ownership.;)
    Or check out Northern Ireland and joining a club and storing your shootin irons up there.The police are not so anal like our lot down here when it comes to firearms and treat your requests and quiries like you are a normal human being.Not a potential criminal,terrorist or mass murderer.
    Which is somthing considering the province was on a almost war footing for the last 30 odd years.And its not to far from Dublin either.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Olympic disipline style pistol shooting,and pay about 1500 euros for a very accruate.22 pistol
    Well, yes, if you want a brand new Walther SSP with the paint still wet from the factory (very nice pistol, that); or you could pay 50 euro for an equally accurate second-hand model.
    Which is rather a side point I suppose (and face it, going to egun for the 50 euro pistol becomes hard without personal imports), but I just thought I'd mention it because not all the olympic .22 pistols are so expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    FORGET IT!,Stay in the US.You would be much better off when it comes to gun ownership.;)QUOTE]

Don't come over here if you like shooting. The licensing system is absolutely ridiculous and most of the shooting clubs won't take you if your great great great great grandfather and every male child under him wasn't a member. There are good people who are into shooting here who will go out of their way to help you but they are pretty hard to find - it took years to meet and build the relationship I have with the few that I know.
    Trust me on this - I never appreciated being able to stroll out my front door and shoot whenever and just about wherever I pleased until I couldn't do it anymore. I really miss it.:(

Advertisement