Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

honest shop staff looking for €350,000 lotto winner

• 13-06-2009 4:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭

A lotto player who purchased a quick pick on Wednesday in Drogheda but left the store without it, is being sought by staff at McDonnells Centra. The staff member tried to catch up with the punter but was unable to find him on the street. When the lotto ticket was checked the following morning by a different staff member, she realised it had won €350,000 in the plus 1 lotto draw.

She then rang the staff member who found it because she thought it was his and he revealed that it was a customer of theirs. Now thats what I call honesty! Was it you?

Me personally, need I tell you what i would have done? Would you have been so honest? :confused:

Would you have kept the winning lotto ticket? 80 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    68% 55 votes
    Would have to think about it
    31% 25 votes

Comments

He'd signed the ticket so not much good to anyone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

rarnes1 wrote: »

Deed poll ftw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

nah, the staff member signed it. Customer never even got it into his hands. Was only printed out of the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

rarnes1 wrote: »
    javaboy wrote: »
    Deed poll ftw.

A lesson in forgery also needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I saw a picture of the fella who won it, right shifty lookin he is. He'll probably spend the money on bad things.

Give it to the local cat and dogs' home instead.

On a completely unrelated note , I have just opened an animal shelter in Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

renraw wrote: »
    nah, the staff member signed it. Customer never even got it into his hands. Was only printed out of the machine. How do you start a poll?

Not sure if you can add one to a thread once you've started it. Try thread tools up the top right. If there's nothing there I can add one for you if you tell me what you want it to say.

How do you start a poll?

A deed poll ? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

javaboy wrote: »
    Not sure if you can add one to a thread once you've started it. Try thread tools up the top right. If there's nothing there I can add one for you if you tell me what you want it to say.

All done, cheers Java. 350,000k though. Lot of thiking to be done. I don't think i'd have handed it up knowing it won that kind of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

nah, the staff member signed it. Customer never even got it into his hands. Was only printed out of the machine. How do you start a poll?

Does that not make the ticket the property of that staff member?
    I thought Lotto HQ only paid out to the person whose signature is on the ticket.
    /not too sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

whats 350,000 in karma?

• Advertisement

Healio wrote: »
    whats 350,000 in karma?
    Put it this way, it won't buy you a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Whoever signed for the ticket, are probably hoping for a share in the prize money or all of it if no one goes back to the shop to claim the ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

whats 350,000 in karma?
    You'll get the good ending in Fallout 3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I would have a monkey typing for me on a golden laptop by now!!

................well, that was my 100th post.............not at all wasted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

they found the guy Dermot Finglas Jr.

gernon wrote: »
    Finglas
    See, told you he was a knacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not a chance would I give it back.

I would however find out who owned it and drop around €5,000 into their letter box. But they wouldn't be getting all that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

whats 350,000 in karma?

Probably knowing that ESB are raising their prices per unit which means that your next bill will be €349,999.99 leaving you with enough change to buy a penny sweet......... which they probably don't sell anymore. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If that was me I'd totally pay for the lotto ticket to cover any bad karma before quitting the job, pissing on the manager and kicking the crap out of my car with bottles of champagne and those really expensive organic macadamia nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Fair play to the staff for their honesty but if I found it I don't think I would have handed it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Wow is all I have to say.
    The man who left a €350,000 winning Lotto ticket behind him in a Drogheda shop has promised to reward the honest shopkeeper who returned it to him yesterday.

Drogheda native Dermot Finglas (35), who lives at home with his parents, discovered his luck had changed yesterday when, against all the odds, his winning lotto ticket found its way home.

Although Dermot had left a local shop last Wednesday without the winning piece of paper, honest shopkeeper Tom Heavey put it aside, just in case.

When it later emerged that the ticket held the winning numbers, Tom released CCTV footage of the man who walked away without it. He was later identified as Dermot Finglas.

"He won't be stuck, that is for sure," said a stunned Dermot, referring to his new found friend Tom, the guardian of his changing fortunes, as he was presented with the ticket outside his home.

"It's a wonderful thing. For someone to be so honest in this day and age is shocking. The story should be about him."

As for Tom, he could have pocketed the winning ticket after his shop assistant rang him to say he had scooped the prize. He had written 'paid for – Tom' on the piece of paper and left it beside the till. Nobody would ever have known.

"But it was someone else's ticket and someone else's luck," he said yesterday. "I hope he and his family enjoy every penny of it.

"I shouted after him when he was leaving the shop that he had left the ticket behind but he didn't hear me, he had headphones on, and I ran after him but he was gone.

"I just put my name on it and (wrote) that it was paid for so it wouldn't be resold and put it beside the till thinking that the man would probably come back for it."

But Dermot never did. It was only yesterday morning when his father Dermot Snr saw his son in the newspapers on CCTV footage that the gravity of the situation became apparent.

"I went into him in the bed and I said to him: 'You are all over the papers'," recalled Dermot Snr.

"As soon as I saw the picture I knew it was him; I couldn't believe it."

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/jun/14/lot-of-euro-lotto-luck-as-mystery-winner-found/

That is actually unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

That's unbelivably stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

connundrum wrote: »

He should go into politics, we could do with at least one honest one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Isn't he buying him a camper van or something to say thanks?

Fair play. Can't say I'd do the same myself.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Isn't he buying him a camper van or something to say thanks?

Fair play. Can't say I'd do the same myself.

I think he is giving him money towards a campervan.

Buying him a new one, I doubt vey much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

phasers wrote: »
    Put it this way, it won't buy you a house.

But you'd have a pretty small mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I know if I EVER buy a lotto ticket I'll be making sure I take it with me, wouldn't be able to count on the people of AH to get it back to me that's for sure !

Stingy c*nts ! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

The guy who won it is 35, looks well-dodgy and is still living with his parents. I fear the money will be gone very quickly probably on not very nice or healthy things and it will end up ruining his life. Then the honest guy who sold him the ticket will feel bad for the rest of HIS life thinking about all the good things he could have done with the money and be haunted by the fact that he ruined someone elses life by his honesty. A bad business all round. He should have trousered it and stuffed a few quid in the poor box to atone for his sins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'll be sure to visit that shop in Drogheda in case they have any other winning tickets lying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I saw the winner on the news being interviewed in a pub.

He didn't look too convincing when he said "Errr....Yeah, I'll ...... errr.....do my best to look after Tom"

I think poor old Tom will be lucky to get a thank you card with a winning streak scratch card in it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

keefg wrote: »
    I think poor old Tom will be lucky to get a thank you card with a winning streak scratch card in it. :D

And more than likely bought in his shop as well.

Advertisement