Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity collectors at the traffic lights

Options
  • 13-06-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy but I have a strong aversion to being approached by charity collectors regularly while stopped at the traffic lights at Ivan's Cross on the Ennis Road.

I find the traffic levels give me enough to contend with without guys and gals with yellow vests ducking and dodging between the cars while stopped.
    Is there any safety issue with this method of collecting?

Anyone here have any views on the subject?
    Do I need to get out more?

I have never heard the Gardai make any comment on this activity but as a way of expressing my annoyance, I make sure not to contribute, even though the collections are usually worthy causes. This is my gripe for the day...........now I feel better.

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I was moving stuff to and from Castletroy all day and passed 'Chuggers' at the traffic lights about 8 times. I appreciate they are volunteers working for a good cause but I get p**sed off when someone is searching for change while the lights are green. They then change to red and I'm left behind.
    On two occeasions people overtook on the turn right lane and then pulled back in to catch the lights. Dangerous for car drivers and Chuggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There was a lot of charity workers in Limerick today.

Without naming the charities I saw 5 in and around the city.

I do not give to charities in traffic as I do not want to encourage this behaviour.

I also abhore chuggers in Supermarkets also.

There is a forum for this type of ranting though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1193

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd reserve more hate for that stain that hawks the traffic by Dunnes on Sarsfield St every day. The state of him up and down the traffic begging with a paper cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'd feel more pity for him than anything else. He's probably dropped there by a boss of some sort and has to hand over most of his takings every evening. To be honest, he was there during the recent hot weather, all dressed up in a coat and cap and he must have been suffering near heat-stroke.

There has to be an easier way to pass the day or make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

I wouldn't feel sorry for him , I see that fella walking in and out of shops and buys credit for his phone and expects people to do it for him because he doesn't understand how to do it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Still I doubt his life is anything but hard. I can't see him staying healthy for long at that game. What a soul-destroying life he appears to have.

That thought always strikes me whenever I see him.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

went through Abbeyfeale the other day and people were collecting at a pedestrian crossing by continually pushing the stop button and then shaking their buckets at the disgruntled drivers. They had built up a nice traffic jam on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

and what of the "charity" window cleaners with their coke bottles full of fairy liquid? keeping the citizens of Limerick's windscreens clean, how can you beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

In F%%king fairness no one should give them anything and they`ll F%%k off back to where they came from.

They really annoy me at the lights there beside St Marys Church, one guy has a very bad leg.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

They really annoy me at the lights there beside St Marys Church, one guy has a very bad leg.

The same guy with the very bad leg. I feel really REALLY sorry for him to be honest. He was begging in the city about 2 months ago. Then, as I was in HMV browsing games, he approached the counter with 2 dvds for abut 14 euro. The sad thing is he obviously can't afford the bly-ray versions, or even a blu-ray player for that matter.

So please think of him the next time you see him begging. Poor soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its been said before that gypsy beggars that go around selling the flowers and Big Issue were actually seen walking out of Superquinn with a trolley shedload of stuff.

I dont actually mind charity collectors, its the ones that are begging that piss me off, same with the chamuggers with their clipboards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 times'a'wastin

and what of the "charity" window cleaners with their coke bottles full of fairy liquid? keeping the citizens of Limerick's windscreens clean, how can you beat that.

This drives me mad cos even tho i say no they just wont stop, i usually have to put on the wipers so they get the picture, awful i know but they just wont leave it!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

This drives me mad cos even tho i say no they just wont stop, i usually have to put on the wipers so they get the picture, awful i know but they just wont leave it!

Chances are you are a woman.
    They never stop when women protest and then demand to be paid in an intimidating fashion.
    Men say no an they seem to leave it at that.

I was heading for the beach a few weeks back and on the way(think it was just around Glin) a local GAA club were fundraising had a toll booth set up and where actually stopping cars. Disgraceful.

mark1974 wrote: »
    I was heading for the beach a few weeks back and on the way(think it was just around Glin) a local GAA club were fundraising had a toll booth set up and where actually stopping cars. Disgraceful.

That has happened to me loads of times around the country.

The Gardai where even doing this one day in Newtwopothouse on the N20. They were on duty as far as I could see. Squad car and motor bike collecting for the retirement Garda club or some b*llocks.

Yeah right boyo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Berty wrote: »
    That has happened to me loads of times around the country.

The Gardai where even doing this one day in Newtwopothouse on the N20. They were on duty as far as I could see. Squad car and motor bike collecting for the retirement Garda club or some b*llocks.

Yeah right boyo's.

Oh - that's great 'cos they don't get any pensions and they are not really well paid at all.:rolleyes:

I don't care who they are, unsolicited collectors provide me with a wonderful opportunity to delight in a firm 'NO!'. Look em in the eye too for extra satisfaction. :pac:

I'd be a GAA fan but the tactics in Glin are shameful to say the least. They have no right.

topper75 wrote: »
    Oh - that's great 'cos they don't get any pensions and they are not really well paid at all.:rolleyes:

Hang on. My pension contributions were slashed to an inch of their lives and I am not very well paid. Less than an entry level Garda I might add so why should I support those better off than myself.

Nor do I have job security I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Berty wrote: »
    Hang on. My pension contributions were slashed to an inch of their lives and I am not very well paid. Less than an entry level Garda I might add so why should I support those better off than myself.

Nor do I have job security I might add.

Berty - re-read my post please. I was being sarcastic and actually in agreement with your outrage at the 'collection'. I thought the rolleyes smiley would have made this clear.

topper75 wrote: »
    Berty - re-read my post please. I was being sarcastic and actually in agreement with your outrage at the 'collection'. I thought the rolleyes smiley would have made this clear.

Ah the joys of the lack of face to face / spoken word contact.

SOS - as the kids say. :o

Advertisement