Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

****ing great news!

• 13-06-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

rob-styles_1111852c.jpg
    Rob Styles is expected to retire early.

One of the most controversial referees to officiate in the Premier League over the past decade, Rob Styles, has decided to end his officiating career early. A resignation letter from Styles is expected to arrive at the FA today, calling time on a 22-year career which began in the Wessex League.

Former Premier League referee Graham Poll said he was 'saddened but not surprised' by the decision. Poll, who himself retired from officiating in the Premier League in 2007, told the Daily Mail: "He cared deeply about his refereeing, dedicating himself to serving the game he loves. However, the fact that the majority of the football-watching public will merely shrug their shoulders in indifference at this news or say 'Good' proves the lack of understanding of the modern referee."

In recent years, 45-year-old Styles attracted criticism for his decisions in a number of the Premier League's highest profile matches, notably Liverpool's match against Chelsea at the beginning of the 2007-08 season, when he awarded a disputed penalty to Chelsea before appearing to show Michael Essien two yellow cards without sending him off – although it was later clarified the second was intended for John Terry rather than Essien.

In the 2008-09 season, Styles awarded Manchester United a penalty against Bolton when Cristiano Ronaldo was challenged fairly by Jlloyd Samuel in the area. Ronaldo and his team-mates did not seem to appeal for a foul before Styles awarded the penalty to the astonishment of Bolton's players. He was roundly criticised for making an incorrect decision in the following days.

Styles who is also on Fifa's list of referees, officiated in the 2005 FA Cup final at the Millennium Stadium between Arsenal and Manchester United.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/12/rob-styles-retires-early-referee/print

not sure if there's a man in the world i'd love to slap more. delighted about this.

(not sure if it merited its own thread, but think this news will make a lot of people happy and there wasn't really anywhere to put it!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well that could be worth 3 points at least next season! Lord Wrigley will have to work on someone else now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »
    rob-styles_1111852c.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/12/rob-styles-retires-early-referee/print

not sure if there's a man in the world i'd love to slap more. delighted about this.

(not sure if it merited its own thread, but think this news will make a lot of people happy and there wasn't really anywhere to put it!)

chip_on_her_shoulder.jpg

;)

No need for a chip that was the dumbest peno ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I remember Styles giving that penalty to Chelsea when we were on a roll at the start of the League season. I was so angry, was watching it in Bangkok and got ****faced drunk to drown my sorrows.

Good news that he won't be officiating next year, lets hope his replacement is halfway decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Morzadec wrote: »

Good news that he won't be officiating next year, lets hope his replacement is halfway decent

this is the PL we're talking about ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Mark Halsey is the worst offender

Sh*ttest ref EVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Jog on sad act.

Made some woeful decisions against us, and others last season.

Hated the way he grew into one of those refs who thinks they are part of the spectacle, like Poll before him. Howard Webb unfortunately seems to be barking up that tree as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Charlie wrote: »
    Jog on sad act.

Made some woeful decisions against us, and others last season.

Hated the way he grew into one of those refs who thinks they are part of the spectacle, like Poll before him. Howard Webb unfortunately seems to be barking up that tree as well.

Not that you'll have to worry about that eh Charlie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thank god he's gone.

He gave some very harsh decisions against us. Most notably Man City at home when Beye was sent off for tackling Robinho in the box and winning the ball.

Good riddance. Not that he'd be refereeing in any of our matches next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Not that you'll have to worry about that eh Charlie?

Well if he had stayed on, no doubt he'd of cocked up again, with his 'punishment' being, that he is inflicted on to the Championship the following week.

Seriously, I never got why that happens.

• Advertisement

Charlie wrote: »
    Well if he had stayed on, no doubt he'd of cocked up again, with his 'punishment' being, that he is inflicted on to the Championship the following week.

Seriously, I never got why that happens.

Mainly because the FA probably feel that the Championship is a "sham" league.

If they were giving them punishment they should make them a fourth official in a Conference match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

now just for clattenburg to retire...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone know how much refs earn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I hate this thread - saw the title and the fact that it had been posted by Mr Alan and thought it might actually be good news, like an actual signing or G&H f-ing off.

This is just a utterly ****e quality ref departing.:o

Anyone know how much refs earn?

Depends on how many fans throw coins at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Morzadec wrote: »
    I remember Styles giving that penalty to Chelsea when we were on a roll at the start of the League season. I was so angry, was watching it in Bangkok and got ****faced drunk to drown my sorrows.

Should this not be in the "Hey, i have been to Bangkok" boasting thread"??

Or possibly Mens Health?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Headshot wrote: »
    chip_on_her_shoulder.jpg

;)

I take offense to that pic ;)

Advertisement