Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars bought in 2005, 'roadworthy' ?

• 13-06-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Du

Car was bought in 2005 and on the rsa website it says that cars 4 years + have to have an nct disc shown when doing your test.
    Does this include my car seeing as its on the 4th year and was serviced last year?
    Bit annoying with the backlog of nct's now

Comments

don't all cars legally have to have nct anyway since last month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Du

well considering theres an 8 month waiting list for NCT tests its a stupid system for them to have. Will ring up next week anyway to see if i have to hire instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from learning to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Du wrote: »
    well considering theres an 8 month waiting list for NCT tests its a stupid system for them to have. Will ring up next week anyway to see if i have to hire instead.

Hire what???
    as long as you have booked your nct and use that letter as proof
    if stopped by guards, you shouldnt have a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Does this include my car seeing as its on the 4th year and was serviced last year?
    Bit annoying with the backlog of nct's now

Your car being serviced has nothing to do with the wear and tear of your car. Generally anything rubber can and will wear after a few years . bushings, cv boots, ball joints, tyres.. and a normal service will pick up none of these.
    I do agree, however, the backlog for a NCT is a joke. Perhaps ask for a cancellation.

minxie wrote: »
    Hire what???
    as long as you have booked your nct and use that letter as proof
    if stopped by guards, you shouldnt have a problem
    hire an instructors car for the test if they don't allow it. Just because it says on their website that it has to be displayed to do the test, not going to cancel it took over 2 months to get this date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

hire an instructors car for the test if they don't allow it. Just because it says on their website that it has to be displayed to do the test, not going to cancel it took over 2 months to get this date.

Silly me didnt realise you were doing your driving test :(

just check your car cert to check when first registered
    you might not need it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres only an 8 month (It's actually more like 4) backlog is because people never bothered their hole NCT'ing their cars. This problem is entirely of the publics own making.

The whole point of allowing people to do the NCT 6months before its due first and 3 months before subsequent ones is so you never need drive around without one and blame the government, NCTS or anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stekelly wrote: »
    Theres only an 8 month (It's actually more like 4) backlog is because people never bothered their hole NCT'ing their cars. This problem is entirely of the publics own making.

QFT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Where is this 8 month figure coming from. Granted there is a backlog since the new rule came in regards to penalty points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The whole point of allowing people to do the NCT 6months before its due first and 3 months before subsequent ones is so you never need drive around without one and blame the government, NCTS or anyone else.

Yup, you're on the money there Ste. I would like to apologise to anyone else waiting for not renewing my NCT until I was in fear of getting 5 penalty points.

However, there are always cancellations to be got if you are persistent enough. Ring them on 01-4135900. I got several dates, as in I got an initial date for 3 months away, kept ringing and booking new cancellations until I got a date that was only 4 days away. It's just a matter of persistence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i booked my dads car into Ballymun NCT centre for next Thursday! only rang them last Monday, so the 8 month waiting list cant be right???

NCT cert has to be displayed on cars over 4 years old, and if your car is over 4 years old on the date of your test, then you need an NCT cert displayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

This post has been deleted.

You can use your 05 car for a driving test up until the 31st December this year without an NCT. Driving testers will only consider 04 cars for NCT purposes, as they have no way of knowing the date in 05 when your NCT is due.

well in the end they were initially giving me a date in August then because I had already booked my driving test she put me straight to the top and it got done yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

........because people never bothered their hole NCT'ing their cars. This problem is entirely of the publics own making.

..complete and utter horse****.

If your car tax is up, they send you a reminder. If your income tax return is due, they'll send you a reminder. If your TV licence is up, they'll send you a reminder. That's what you pay the ****ing Civil Service for - to do their ****ing job.

It is not my job to do their job AND pay them for it. If they want that, we can fire 100,000 of the useless b'stds tomorrow.

Of course, the NCT is a private company, with no remit to 'civil service', and isn't it amazing that they can save the Eur1.00 per renewal notice, and no-one ......'noticed' (sic)...???

...speaking of which, this year's front runner for Pulitzer Fiction HERE

....me, bitter? Nah, not a bit of it.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

600,000 tests p.a. x Eur 1.00.

Handy money when you get to keep it. How very NTR.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »

If your car tax is up, they send you a reminder. If your income tax return is due, they'll send you a reminder. If your TV licence is up, they'll send you a reminder. That's what you pay the ****ing Civil Service for - to do their ****ing job.

It is not my job to do their job AND pay them for it. If they want that, we can fire 100,000 of the useless b'stds tomorrow.

Of course, the NCT is a private company, with no remit to 'civil service', and isn't it amazing that they can save the Eur1.00 per renewal notice, and no-one ......'noticed' (sic)...???

Your forgetting the basic rule that's it's always the drivers responsibility to make sure their vehicle is legal before bringing it onto the road. Not the civil service, Gardai or anyone else. You get reminder notices for motor tax, but if you don't get one and drive with expired tax the car can be taken off you. Same for NCT.

A large percentage of peopel are not driving around wiothout an NCT because they forgot to get the NCT done. They are doing it because not botherign your hole with an NCT has become the norm, it's that simple. Your fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Whatever about reminders not being sent and people not remembering the month its due, who forgets for years on end?

If revenue stopped sending motor tax reminders, how long would you drive without tax before you thought "hmmm, I've no tax"? A month? 6 months? 2 years?

Do you forget to service your car? Change the tyres?Check fluids?

600,000 tests p.a. x Eur 1.00.

Handy money when you get to keep it. How very NTR.

National toll Roads?

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your forgetting the basic rule that's it's always the drivers responsibility to make sure their vehicle is legal before bringing it onto the road. Not the civil service, Gardai or anyone else. You get reminder notices for motor tax, but if you don't get one and drive with expired tax the car can be taken off you. Same for NCT.
    You've just proved my point - if they can send reminders for tax, they can send one for NCT.
    A large percentage of peopel are not driving around wiothout an NCT because they forgot to get the NCT done. They are doing it because not botherign your hole with an NCT has become the norm, it's that simple. Your fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Whatever about reminders not being sent and people not remembering the month its due, who forgets for years on end?

If revenue stopped sending motor tax reminders, how long would you drive without tax before you thought "hmmm, I've no tax"? A month? 6 months? 2 years?

Do you forget to service your car? Change the tyres?Check fluids?

You're mixing up two things: deliberate non-NCT'ing, and accidental non-NCT'ing.....that's my point. Deliberately breaking the law is one thing, accidentally falling foul of it is another. And I would suggest that the non-renewal notice is nothing short of underhand.

And who reads their own windscreen documents ? I know I don't. And I similarly don't neglect my tyres/oil/service etc. It's because they are frequent checks. Remembering to look at my NCT disc every 2 years isn't, and isn't frequent.

Same with licences. In the US, they have a simple system - your licence always expires on your birthday. Simple,huh ?

Ode To The Motorist

And who reads their own windscreen documents ? I know I don't. And I similarly don't neglect my tyres/oil/service etc. It's because they are frequent checks. Remembering to look at my NCT disc every 2 years isn't, and isn't frequent.

If you can remember the other checks, surely the NCT isnt a big one to add to the list?Sure your around the front liftin the bonnet anyway.

Same with licences. In the US, they have a simple system - your licence always expires on your birthday. Simple,huh ?

Is this an arguement for or against your points?

The NCT expires on the same day each time.

TBH, you turning something simple into a big thing for the sake of having something to argue about.

I've managed to keep up to date NCT's on 5 cars and Doe's on 2 vans (they dont send renewal notices for them either and theres no handy disc for the window to keep an eye on) over the last 10 years without much scorching of brain cells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Two things.

An NCT is not a certificate of Roadworthyness.
    If your car was serviced last year, it needs another service this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

In an ideal world we wouldn't need an NCT because everyone would be concerned with the mechanical well-being of their cars themselves. But when I see the tyres on some cars I dispair and realise that even every two years might not be enough for NCT for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Your car being serviced has nothing to do with the wear and tear of your car. Generally anything rubber can and will wear after a few years . bushings, cv boots, ball joints, tyres.. and a normal service will pick up none of these.

I dunno where you get your car serviced, but if they didn't notice something amiss with tyres or cv boots, I wouldn't be going back...

The NCT website used to state that reminders would be sent, they weren't sending them, I've complained to them several times about this and to the dot about this false advertising, with the usual success....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

I dunno where you get your car serviced, but if they didn't notice something amiss with tyres or cv boots, I wouldn't be going back...

Usually service it myself mate, but the last time i got it serviced at a VW main dealer, not only did they not notice a cv boot being worn, they also didnt notice the fact that the clip had come off so that the boot wasnt on the hub.

Is this an arguement for or against your points?

........TBH you turning something simple into a big thing for the sake of having something to argue about.

You're missing the point. They used to send out reminders (common sense). A poster here says they have it on their website (I'll take his word for it...). They currently don't send the reminders - and pocket the money they USED to spend - that's 100,000's of Euros p.a. they're pocketing.
    That's 3,000,000 Euros SGS are pocketing.

It shoddy, underhand, and sneaky.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I cant believe someone is arguing that is't the NCT's fault, for not sending out reminders, that people drive without an NCT. Is this country so full of sheep that we have to be led by someone else, or is it that nobody whats to take any personal responsibility for themselves (and their cars) and rather looks at who they can blame in every situation, when in reality they have only themselves to blame.

Make the point about pocketing the money is all well and good, but it does not dissolve anyone from the rules.

testicle wrote: »
    Two things.

An NCT is not a certificate of Roadworthyness.
    If your car was serviced last year, it needs another service this year.

and if your NCT was done 2 years ago, it needs another one this year.What the difference bar the time frame?

A poster here says they have it on their website (I'll take his word for it...). .

He said they used to have it on their site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement