Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Place to put your car advert???

• 13-06-2009 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hey there...

just wondering where would be the best place to put an advert for a car for sale?

I read an old thread here on boards similar to it but it was quite outdated with regards prices etc...I know the main ones like car buyers guide,carzone,buy and sell etc....

From looking at them, It seems that CBG is the best offer....you can be put in the magazine and online until sold for what works out at a much better price than what carzone are offering for just an online advert that they make you pay for again after 3-4 weeks. Also you are competing with alot of dealers and garages etc who can offer finance and warrantys!The free ones are free for a reason it seems.....most dont even offer you the chance of a photo and if they do they are poor quality when they come out even though i sent in a great one off a 12mp digi camera!!!

Any opinions on here about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

http://www.donedeal.ie is meant to be very good for selling cars

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^donedeal is a brilliant. sold my car within a few days of advertising it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

+1 for donedeal.ie
    E3 for 3 months i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Yeah i heard about donedeal alrite....and its only like €3?but is it €3 for a reason?like do you kind of get what you pay for?

My only reservation about it is that two friends of mine recieved alot of phony calls about there adverts which can be quite annoying.....my opinion would be that if you want to advertise a car you try to advertise it in an actual car magazine you know?kind of cuts out all that bulls*it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

You are likely to get canvasers and phonecalls no matter where you advertise once your phone number is made available.

It's very easy to use the site and it's becoming much more popular and getting a lot of hits.

Considering it's only 3 Euro you should put it up there no matter what then advertise it elswhere aswell where ever you want.
    It's a nothin to lose situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Thing with done deal is it's seen as being a bargain hunting site. Fine in the current climate but not for the long term. Buy & Sell is similar. Personally I wouldn't be in to buying off either of those sites, my perception would be that those sites are for s**tboxes. When browsing I will use Carzone, CBG and (seldomly) Cars ireland. Carzone has the best content but I still don't like the new site format. I like CBG myself and there is defintie value in magazine coverage these days. Anyone can browse online so the person who makes the effort to go out and buy a mag is potentially a more serious buyer as opposed to a window shopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I advertised in a lot if places. Got no calls from carzone or donedeal (which seems to be good for motorbikes and, strangely, pedigree dogs). Ironically these were the only two I paid for. Unexpectedly the only site I got calls from was carlist.ie, eventually selling the car to one of the callers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I was actually talking to some one today, and after trying the autotrader etc., the Buy and Sell sold their car.

IMO, any where that's free or cheap is a good place to advertise. After that, it depends on what market you are aiming at and how much the car is worth, ie. how much you are willing to spend on advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭brosnadog

DoneDeal is the way to go €3 for 3 months and you get to upload 2 pics, sold my car in 12hrs (i could have sold 10 of them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Cant speak to highly about CBG. Total rubbish IMO. I've used loads of different sites and always found Carzone the best. Most expensive too though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Carzone has a very high viewing figures alright but the search engine is a mess.

But there are alot of other factors involved in how quickly you get your car sold, other than where you advertise your car. Things like how realistic you are on the asking price, presentation of the advert and of course the car your selling. If these are right then imo it makes very little difference where you advertise it.

OP should use www.adverts.ie too.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Cant speak to highly about CBG. Total rubbish IMO. I've used loads of different sites and always found Carzone the best. Most expensive too though.

I think bazz26 has hit the nail on the head in relation to price and presentation. However, we sold my gf's jeep recently off the net. Had it up on Carzone, CBG, Adverts, Cars Ireland, Whatcar, Gumtree and Buy & Sell. No enquiries from Carzone, 2 from adverts and 1 from Cars Ireland. Eventually sold it through CBG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

gumtree, donedeal and adverts for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tempodublin

I have sold a lot of cars over the last 5-6 years as i am a part-time mechanic and a hobby of mine is to fix up some cars and then sell them on. I have found that carzone is a waste of time personally. Their website search is utter bullsh*t and you are competing against too much competition and their prices are scandalous for only 1 months registration online, which they then expect you to renew after your car wasnt sold. DoneDeal i tried for awhile but lets be perfectly honest, its €3 for 3 months and you get what you pay for. Their site gets alot of hits but there are so many complete window shoppers on that site as someone correctly said above. I have used, and will continue to do so, car buyers guide. They put you online and also in their magazine which does tend to mean your getting your advert to interested car buyers not window shoppers. You remain online until sold and they sell like 50000 magazines a week in the republic of ireland. A friend of the family works for car buyers guide as an editor and he offers fantastic prices especially if you are selling more than 1 car, which i do a lot, which a lot of webites dont do. I would be more than willing to help you master-t if you are having trouble selling it and you want to go with cbg....pm me and ill pass you on his extension number or his cbg email if you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 new in town

I have to agree with TempoDublin. I have always found Car buyers guide to give a good response, you get genuine callers. There customer service is top class. the €30 deal is great becuase they put you up on most of the big national sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I have to disagree with the pro CBG comments.

I've used them and I found their customer service to be appalling. Even the guys ringing me from CBG were the most ignorant shower of ******* ever.

Maybe people have good reports from them, but definitely not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have sold a lot of cars over the last 5-6 years as i am a part-time mechanic and a hobby of mine is to fix up some cars and then sell them on. I have found that carzone is a waste of time personally. Their website search is utter bullsh*t and you are competing against too much competition and their prices are scandalous for only 1 months registration online, which they then expect you to renew after your car wasnt sold. DoneDeal i tried for awhile but lets be perfectly honest, its €3 for 3 months and you get what you pay for. Their site gets alot of hits but there are so many complete window shoppers on that site as someone correctly said above. I have used, and will continue to do so, car buyers guide. They put you online and also in their magazine which does tend to mean your getting your advert to interested car buyers not window shoppers. You remain online until sold and they sell like 50000 magazines a week in the republic of ireland. A friend of the family works for car buyers guide as an editor and he offers fantastic prices especially if you are selling more than 1 car, which i do a lot, which a lot of webites dont do. I would be more than willing to help you master-t if you are having trouble selling it and you want to go with cbg....pm me and ill pass you on his extension number or his cbg email if you want?

I have to agree with TempoDublin. I have always found Car buyers guide to give a good response, you get genuine callers. There customer service is top class. the €30 deal is great becuase they put you up on most of the big national sites.

I would have severe doubts about the integrity of both posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

have you tried parking it a junction with a "for sale" sign in the window and an mobile number to contact!?:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

have you tried parking it a junction with a "for sale" sign in the window and an mobile number to contact!?:D:D:D

For cheap or colourful, eye catching stuff that works quite well.

Ive had the most responses from Carzone by far. Tried Cars Ireland (though didnt renew the ad frequently), CarList.ie, Autotrader (full package) and various papers (Evening Herald, Irish Times). The papers got me just one call (from the Herald, not the Times!). Autotrader, despite their talk, got me zero enquiries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Sold my car on Buy&Sell about 3 weeks ago. Free ad and was sold within 2 days.

I had it on Adverts.ie (No offence to the Boards Gods) for a few weeks and all I got was a headache. Most people that called or PM'ed were complete time wasters. I lost out on a few evenings where had arranged for people to view the car and none of them ever turned up and then never answered calls/txt's/PM's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Don't forget, we're all clued in about the 'net these days and obviously because we spend our time here on the Motors Forum, but a hell of a lot of people aren't as savvy, which is why the local paper isn't a bad idea, nor is the buy and sell.

I sold herself's starlet 2 years ago off the local rag the same day the ad went in, after failing to sell it online for 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Don't forget, we're all clued in about the 'net these days and obviously because we spend our time here on the Motors Forum, but a hell of a lot of people aren't as savvy, which is why the local paper isn't a bad idea, nor is the buy and sell.

I sold herself's starlet 2 years ago off the local rag the same day the ad went in, after failing to sell it online for 2 months.

Yeah thats a good point. We tend to forget that a lot of older people ( is that condisending ) might not even turn on a computer nevermind think they could buy a car there. Its hard to believe that maybe 5 or 6 years ago that the internet still had a tiny car buying audience.

Cuddlesworth....im sorry why do you have doubts about the integrity of my post?All I was saying was that I personally have had good experiences with CBG.Im sure a lot of people have had bad experiences with many sites but im not trying to promote it, just help out a poster with my own experience. Thanks.

Cuddlesworth....im sorry why do you have doubts about the integrity of my post?All I was saying was that I personally have had good experiences with CBG.Im sure a lot of people have had bad experiences with many sites but im not trying to promote it, just help out a poster with my own experience. Thanks.

Tempo - on such a public and popular forum as this is, it is not unusual for a user to sign up purely to promote / lambaste a company or service. Hence when one pipes up about something after only posting once or twice it is generally taken as such.

okay...that is a fair enough point. But i will obviously have an opinion on something...hence make a post about it...but then have my integrity questioned about my opinion??again...simply trying to offer help to a poster.And its like....nearly haf nine right now...why on earth would I be in work trying to promote a company on my own time??? I do get what your saying though...but that is not the case.

okay...that is a fair enough point. But i will obviously have an opinion on something...hence make a post about it...but then have my integrity questioned about my opinion??again...simply trying to offer help to a poster.And its like....nearly haf nine right now...why on earth would I be in work trying to promote a company on my own time??? I do get what your saying though...but that is not the case.

Not having a go dude, just letting you know why you *may* have been taken up wrong.

Keep posting dude!

Yeah that is no problem my man. I do understand what you mean like and I also do appreciate you explaining this. Cheers mate.

PS. I would like to add that the original poster sent me a PM yesterday and I gave him the information and contact email I had. I really do hope it goes well for him!!

Advertisement