Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to the Flute, Could you answer my questions?

Options
  • 13-06-2009 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello All,

I recently decided to teach myself to play the flute, I picked one up two days ago and now have a few questions, (I play the Oboe already)

The only thing I got myself to teach me how to play was a Fingering Chart which has been very useful but doesn't explain a few things,

Question one,

When holding the flute should my left index finger by resting against the body of the flute while playing (is this a bad habit I should try and avoid learning)

Question two,

The fingering chart says that the Eb Key (2R) should be held down all the time playing D, is this correct? It seams sort of tricky to keep that finger down all the time.

Question three,

When I play I find I become out of breath which I find strange considering I play the Oboe, could someone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamieev

Question1: Yes (No)

Question2:Yes (assuming you mean when NOT playing d). It is tricky but it's necessary for both balance and intonation.

Question3:You're using a lot more air to play the flute. I believe a problem for oboe players is that they use so little air that they have to stop to breath out. On the flute, you're stimulating the air column by splitting the airstream from your embouchure on the edge of the blow hole so you're going to use up the air in your lungs quickly - especially if you're still developing your technique. Embouchure is everything: LONG TONES yadda yadda yadda ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 david.lpower

jamieev wrote: »
    Question1: Yes (No)

Question2:Yes (assuming you mean when NOT playing d). It is tricky but it's necessary for both balance and intonation.

Question3:You're using a lot more air to play the flute. I believe a problem for oboe players is that they use so little air that they have to stop to breath out. On the flute, you're stimulating the air column by splitting the airstream from your embouchure on the edge of the blow hole so you're going to use up the air in your lungs quickly - especially if you're still developing your technique. Embouchure is everything: LONG TONES yadda yadda yadda ....

Thanks for you reply

I've learned that most of my tone was lost because of bad breathing, I learned to improve this and as a result my control is much better also my tone has improved greatly.

Do you know of any exercises for developing double tonguing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamieev

Once you get the hang of the whole t-k-t-k thing it's mostly about not disturbing the embrouchure and keeping the troat open. I find it's always a good idea to start at a very slow speed with a metronome and gradually increase the speed - single notes first, then scales, arpeggios, whatever. If you do this regularly for a short time every day it gives the muscles a chance to 'learn' the fine control necessary.

Good luck.

Advertisement