Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government Taxes on Camera Imports

• 13-06-2009 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    If you a buy a camera on ebay, say from Hong Kong or China, which is cheaper then in shops here, how are government taxes calculated on the camera import ? which are collected by the courier companies on behalf of the government. Is it still cheaper to buy imports on ebay, which the government will charge taxes later on, than buy cameras in local shops here ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

21.5% vat is charged on any item worth more than €22
    Excise duty of ? on all items worth more than €150.

Learnt this recently when buying a lens from a Hong Kong ebay seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Some sellers in HK will cover any VAT or import duty incurred, I've been using OneStop Digital and I couldn't recommend them more !

http://www.onestop-digital.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I bought a 55-200 DX AFS VR lens recently. Paid something like E170 then another E30 in duties etc. DHL sent out the item for COD.

I like to think that I saved a nice bit of money doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you are using one of the big courier companies like Fedex UPS, they will collect the taxes from you and charge a whopping fee for the privilege.

If you have something sent via normal postal services, and it is insured or registered, you will end up paying the duty and a large fee to the company that takes a week or two to notify you your parcel has been nabbed.

If it is sent by post uninsured and unregistered, there is a very good chance you wont pay anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

cnocbui wrote: »
    If it is sent by post uninsured and unregistered, there is a very good chance you wont pay anything.

True ;)....granted this method is a lot riskier, but sometimes you have to weigh up the pro's and con's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nforce wrote: »
    True ;)....granted this method is a lot riskier, but sometimes you have to weigh up the pro's and con's.

Shhhhhhh! I am ahead by miles. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 matood

Hi, you can`t recommend onestop-digital anymore? I just ordered from them...What`s happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

matood wrote: »
    Hi, you can`t recommend onestop-digital anymore? I just ordered from them...What`s happened?

Cant recommend them more I assume, as in cant recommend them highly enough. for what irts worth I've used OneStop too and had no problems at all.

Allright cheers. My item was shipped in monday, when it may be here?

I used them first, mainly because all the recommendations here and the price they offer. I hope will join the club of satisfied costumers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Some sellers in HK will cover any VAT or import duty incurred, I've been using OneStop Digital and I couldn't recommend them more !

http://www.onestop-digital.com/

The site says the VAT/Import refunds are only available to UK customers - has this been extended to Ireland and the site just not updated?

Also, has anyone else used them or can anyone give any more feedback on them?

abelard wrote: »
    The site says the VAT/Import refunds are only available to UK customers - has this been extended to Ireland and the site just not updated?

Also, has anyone else used them or can anyone give any more feedback on them?

I don`t know yet. I`m waiting for delivery. And i don`t know what is the procedure if i have to paid tax. I think just somebody send me letter with amount how much pay, how and for what few days after delivery but i really don`t know. You might call to onestop and ask them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Just a quick note to remind everyone that it is illegal & against the charter of this Forum and boards in general to avoid customs & excise charges on imports. Before the thread heads in that particular direction.

I believe they calculate it on how much it would cost to buy said camera etc. in an Irish store. I am open for correction on this though.

Ok, just last drop, i received my tamy yesterday from onestop and no additional payment, just waht i paid to them. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

trishw78 wrote: »
    Just a quick note to remind everyone that it is illegal & against the charter of this Forum and boards in general to avoid customs & excise charges on imports. Before the thread heads in that particular direction.

I believe they calculate it on how much it would cost to buy said camera etc. in an Irish store. I am open for correction on this though.

They charge it on what you paid, which includes postage, and since often this is high if going via UPS, you effectively pay duty on that also.
    Plus a cheeky fee for collecting it.

It went thru post...no courier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

matood wrote: »
    It went thru post...no courier

Granted but people should be aware that an post also act as collection agents for customs and in my personal experience of receiving goods from outside of the EU, they will seek payment before releasing an item. Perhaps it is a case of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

it might be cheaper from asia but you wont have a warranty. sometimes they provide a warranty from a 3rd party such as mack, and they usually arent reliable. if you dont mind waiting months for a repair and u need to save some cash u wont get cheaper than HK. ive seen some great HK sellers on ebay but i only buy from UK or USA(if exchange rate is good,but import tax can be a b1tch) or secondhand here in Ireland.

Advertisement