Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegetarian children?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

jape wrote: »
    People here will be outraged by your comments. You don't seem to understand vegetarianism at all. The reason I am vegetarian is mostly because of the cruelty and torture that farm animals go through just so people can eat them.

You think we would just give up everything we stand for and believe in, promote and support an industry involved with horrific cruelty, just so our children can "enjoy a bit a' meat wit de dinner' ???

They're aren't killed inhumanely. Quick and clean. They don't know what hit them. You shouldn't be worried about that. I'm sure there are a few exceptions though. :pac:

Taking a leaf from you're book of silly scenarios - What if you're child stepped on a fly and killed it. Would you go mental! :confused::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Dumb wrote: »
    They're aren't killed inhumanely. Quick and clean. They don't know what hit them. You shouldn't be worried about that. I'm sure there are a few exceptions though. :pac:

Now I know you're talking sh1te. They are killed extremely inhumanely. Look up any of those links in my last post. Or if you're afraid I'm biased, google it and find out for yourself.

The majority of broiler chickens (which is probably 99% of the chicken consumed in the world, including all the chickens in your local dunnes/tesco/kfc/etc.) have their beaks smashed off, legs cut off (while conscious), wings snapped. Pumped up with so many growth hormones their organs can't keep up. Then strung upside down, electrically shocked, boiled ALIVE to de-feather them and then have their necks snapped.

I won't even get into the pork and beef industries. Look it up yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Taking a leaf from you're book of silly scenarios - What if you're child stepped on a fly and killed it. Would you go mental! :confused::pac:

I think there's a slight difference between the mass factory farming of billions of chickens, pigs, cows who are subjected to horrific and systematic cruelty and pain their entire lives then ruthlessly slaughtered - and a child accidentally killing a fly.

A quick snap to the neck and they're gone. Sure how do you think I kill the Turkey for Christmas? I don't maul it to death. :pac:

• Advertisement

jape wrote: »
    I think there's a slight difference between the mass factory farming of billions of chickens, pigs, cows who are subjected to horrific cruelty and pain their entire lives then ruthlessly slaughtered - and a child accidentally killing a fly.

Seeing that you're a great activist for animal rights I thought you'd be bothered about each and every one of gods creatures. No?:confused:

What if your lovely child went about killing flies when you weren't looking. How would you feel? Sure haven't we all done it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I don't know what I'd do if I had children....I mean I'm with a meat eating partner so in a way what right do I have to only feed my children a vegetarian diet if he doesn't agree with that? Shouldn't we both decide what they eat? I guess we'll know if and when we come to it.

I feed my dogs meat though, they'd laugh at me if I gave them tofu! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dumb and jape - give it a rest. Dumb, you're in a vegetarian forum where the majority of users are vegetarians. Stop stirring shít and trying to rile them up. Likewise, jape, meat-eaters are perfectly welcome to use this forum too to engage in a balanced debate about aspects of veganism and vegetarianism. Just because someone posts who isn't a vegetarian doesn't mean they're trolling.

Right. I know where I am and you are entitled to eat what you want. All I'm saying is if you have a child let them make their decision.

Right. I know where I am and you are entitled to eat what you want. All I'm saying is if you have a child let them make their decision.

But a young child can't make that decision? They don't know what they're eating, of course it's a child's own choice once they're old enough to decide what they want but how do you explain to a 2 year old what they're eating? That's the question here, what do you do when they're too young to know what meat actually is.

• Advertisement

But how do you explain what a vegetable is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

I'm sure the child won't mind that much.

Well I would mind feeding a child of mine meat.

But how do you explain what a vegetable is?

polar-bear-face-palm_thumbnail1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

I know you're a vegan but christ they're not going to die if they eat a bit of meat.

thats not the point, the animal dies!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

maameeo wrote: »
    thats not the point, the animal dies!!!!

+1

Dumb, the reason most of us posting here do not want to feed our children meat is because we feel it is ethically wrong to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I don't know what I'd do if I had children....I mean I'm with a meat eating partner so in a way what right do I have to only feed my children a vegetarian diet if he doesn't agree with that? Shouldn't we both decide what they eat? I guess we'll know if and when we come to it.

I feed my dogs meat though, they'd laugh at me if I gave them tofu! :)

that would be a tough one, kinda like my situation when i lived at home, but their was more meat eaters. you'd def have to sit down and talk about it. have u ever asked him, out of curiosity?

maameeo wrote: »
    that would be a tough one, kinda like my situation when i lived at home, but their was more meat eaters. you'd def have to sit down and talk about it. have u ever asked him, out of curiosity?

We haven't discussed it a lot but I think my answer was that if he wanted them to eat meat he could cook it for them himself. It wasn't seriously discussed though so it's probably something that won't really be looked in to until when and if it happens. I'd have to think more about it really, I'm not sure what I think about it just yet. Would love to hear from any other Vegetarians with children whose partners are meat eaters, how has it worked for your situation?

"so my point was, when i first had her i really wanted to bring her up vegetarian (my lack of cooking abilities hindered that!) but now im kind of glad she had a choice because she seems to be doing well.whereas if shed been brought up a veggie she might be curious about meat and annoyed at me for not letting her have it.

what do you think? "

The child had a choice. I agree with the OP.

Advertisement