Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Pre Ireland?

• 13-06-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about the Palm Pre being released in Ireland?
    Iv read that o2 are going to have it in the UK but I have seen nothing here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Le Bump. :)
    Seriously? No one here knows anything? How bout any staff from phone shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its still very early days, Is it not due around September? You will have to wait awhile yet to get any hard confirmation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

All that's known so far is that it is coming, eventually. A GSM Pre was shown at MWC back in January. According to the Guardian, O2 have won the contract in the UK, so it's likely that O2 will have it here as well. If that's the case, it's a big victory for O2. They'll have the iPhone, Palm Pre and they're also getting the Samsung i7500 so they'll get an Android handset too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Vodafone said on their forum today that another carrier has exclusivity. So that's probably o2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Thanks for the info. Figured it would be around then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

O2?:mad:

This is bad news for consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

why is it bad news? I'm on Vodafone myself but wouldn't mind changing over to O2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

womoma wrote: »
    O2?:mad:

This is bad news for consumers.
    dubmick wrote: »
    why is it bad news? I'm on Vodafone myself but wouldn't mind changing over to O2

Let's not get into a Vodafone vs. O2 vs. Three vs. Meteor discussion.

Nobody will win that one. :)

dubmick wrote: »

I think it's bad because one operator, in this case O2, is getting exclusivity deals on a lot of the new smartphones coming out. The iPhone and the Palm Pre are the most hyped and anticipated phones to come out in good while. If one operator has all of them, this is bad for competition and thus the consumer. It would have been nice to see two operators competing for the smartphone segment of the market, e.g. iPhone vs Palm Pre. It might have encouraged O2 to alter their iPhone tariffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I would urge any Vodafone customers who feel the choice of handsets on their network isn't quite the latest and greatest, to say so on Vodafone's forum. They appear to be listening to feedback (Albiet, too little, too late, and they're censoring what we say), and while we've missed the Pre/iPhone boat, it might influence them in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

^^

Yep my point was not that any network provider is superior to the other, but that consumers would benefit from the most popular products being spread out among the operators.

I love my iPhone but the Pre has a lot going for it. I would go as far as saying, (IMO) it looks like the best candidate to be the iPhones nearest competitor.

I would have loved to see V or 3 get the Palm Pre contract. More competition means better prices and rates.

O2s data rates are grotesque, as is their greedy and cynical opposition to iPhone tethering. Somethings gotta give.

^^
    I love my iPhone but the Pre has a lot going for it. I would go as far as saying, (IMO) it looks like the best candidate to be the iPhones nearest competitor.
    +1
    O2s data rates are grotesque, as is their greedy and cynical opposition to iPhone tethering. Somethings gotta give.

To be fair to O2, they haven't made any decision yet regarding iPhone tethering. There is plenty of other stuff you can criticise them for!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Details are announced, bill pay pricing is very good, pre pay not so much! http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/Palm+Pre/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

center15 wrote: »
    Details are announced, bill pay pricing is very good, pre pay not so much! http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/Palm+Pre/

Exact same as iPhone price plans?

gpf101 wrote: »
    Exact same as iPhone price plans?

Sorry I was on about the Price of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 scoopo16

Does anyone know if i were to Buy a Palm Pre from Canada (really Cheap) using a rebel sim with my three bill pay sim would this work?

scoopo16 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if i were to Buy a Palm Pre from Canada (really Cheap) using a rebel sim with my three bill pay sim would this work?

It's a 3 year contact not PAYG

Im getting it without the contract but is still locked to the canadian network Bell?

Im getting it without the contract but is still locked to the canadian network Bell?

Yes it's locked to Bell. Also it will use different 3G frequency's so you may have trouble here with it.

• Advertisement

It's locked to Bell so thats why im gonna try the Rebel sim... and should it not auto-detect the 3G frequency according to the network thats selected?

It's locked to Bell so thats why im gonna try the Rebel sim... and should it not auto-detect the 3G frequency according to the network thats selected?

Reports on the Pre Forums is that it's not a global phone like the iPhone, but 3g frequency's are different depending on where you got the phone.

The Canadian Pres use CDMA, not GSM, so they won't work here. They don't even use SIM cards.

Advertisement