Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi finds ?

Options
  • 13-06-2009 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Regarding food you seem to come across things that are amazing every so often, I cam acc=ross this beautifull teriakki sauce and it was heavenly I havent seen it since it was made bye king li Thho I havent spotted it again

what have you found ? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Their hummous is the best I've tried, and only 99c! They have a lemon & coriander version too, mmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

The tins of tomatoes in lidl are the best ever, and they're only 45c! Also the maple cure rashers are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They also have great cartons of passata.

I go to Aldi for rocket (best around) and their ribeyes are really impressive.
    The sliced chorizo in Aldi is also v.tasty, and the wedge of Parmesean is hard to beat.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I bought the face cream in Aldi, people were raving about it on here a while back but I was too chicken to use it cause I have sensitive skin, anyhoo so I ran out of my usual moisuriser last night and there was the Aldi stuff in my drawer so I bit the bullet and used it. It is actually quite good, I didn't wake up with welts all over my face anyway so that's good :D skin feels quite soft and nourished... Think I'll be using it more now..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think Lidl's bags of frozen prawns are brilliant. Plenty of them and €2.99 for 500g. They now form the basis of a lot of our quick dinners.

Their bags of pasta and the tins of tomatoes are also great. Plus I love their mature cheddar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Their cloudy apple juice is unbeatable. Don't know what I'd do if they ever stop selling it - go there specially for it.

Serrano ham is pretty good.

Around Christmas time they do vintage cheddar in black wax. I've christened it 'I can't believe it's not butter cheese'! It's really, well, buttery - in a good way.

I also quite like their ham tortellini - handy snack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Frikadellen are amazing.

basically, they are Pork Burgers.

They are a good breakfast with hot buttery toast and a mug of tae.

I buy the pack of 5 large ones.

Jaysis, I love them. Going to have some when I get home later now.

I must look out my recipe for my Danish grandmother's version of these for you Des. They are even nicer than the Lidl variety, which are good but I find a little too oniony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I must look out my recipe for my Danish grandmother's version of these for you Des. They are even nicer than the Lidl variety, which are good but I find a little too oniony.

Please do, thanks.

Danish Frikadeller (meatballs)

1/2 lb minced beef
    1/2 lb sausage meat/pork mince
    2 oz flour
    1 tblsp cornflour
    1 small onion, grated or minced
    1 beaten egg
    1/2 pt milk
    (oil or butter for frying)

1. Mix together milk, flour and cornflour, making sure that there are no lumps.

2. Mix this in well with the rest of the ingredients and leave to stand for about 1 hour. I usually cover it with a tea towel as you want it at room temperature.

3. Form the mixture into balls. For little ones a dessert spoon of mixture is the right amount. For larger ones a tablespoon or serving spoon. Just to note that the mixture is incredibly sticky so it's easier to ball it using a spoon rather than hands.

4. Fry in a pan until well browned all over. Best served hot with mashed potatoes and veg of your choice or cold with bread.

These also freeze really well once you've cooked them. Many Danish homes will have a batch in the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I like their tomato sauce in the red squeezy bottle with the green cap.
    Be warned, if you have kids that it is a little runnier than the Heinz stuff.
    The taste is really good better than Heinz IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Any one tried there lancastein 11 euros for a nice weight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Their brown bead.......69c and its gorgeous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any one tried there lancastein 11 euros for a nice weight ?
    :confused: Langoustines maybe?

Langoustines?
    If they are the ones in the black pack with plastic wrap they are Irish Nephrops (Prawns) and come from Wexford.
    Nephrops%20prawn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Stuff I buy regularly in lidls:

Pasta
    Frozen Veg (the microwavable packs, 1.50 a pop, but make for a very handy dinner base)
    Tinned Tomatoes
    Tinned tuna
    Fish fingers (the fillet ones)
    Low fat mature cheddar (nyom)
    Cottage cheese
    Sunflower oil (gtfo! 99c a litre!)
    Walnuts

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Langoustines?
    If they are the ones in the black pack with plastic wrap they are Irish Nephrops (Prawns) and come from Wexford.
    Nephrops%20prawn.jpg

no i checked where they where coming from North Atlantic they looked to me like Lang to me....

sorrry not good at spelling and Langoustine is not in my spell cheacker and has always be the thorn in my thigh...

Khannie wrote: »
    Stuff I buy regularly in lidls:

Walnuts

Their walnuts are savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Nephrops is the latin genus covering shrimp, prawns, langoustine etc. Langoustine are also called Dublin Bay Prawns or scampi (same thing though).

Haven't tasted the lidl ones, but am a big fan :)

Lpfsox wrote: »
    Nephrops is the latin genus covering shrimp, prawns, langoustine etc.
    Ah I think you'd be wrong there Ted!:D
    Nephrops is a genus covering the sole species Nephrops Norvegicus.
    Shrimps, prawns and other crustaceans belong to different Genus, Penaeus, Crangon, Metanephrops amongst others.
    There is only one species recognized as Nephrops and that is Nephrops Norvegicus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Iskenderun

Lidl is fab. Some of my favourite things are:
    # Parmesan (big chunks for about €5)
    # Dark chocolate (around €1.30 I think)
    # Loose vine tomatoes (really fab and juicy)
    # Beer Graffenwalder (made to German Standards, not this multinational muck for €1.15 a can
    # Shampoo for 99c
    I could go on but that's it for the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

the rib eye steak in aldi is 11 for 2 steak are the nicest steaks i have ever had and old chunky butt has had a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

Lidl: coleslaw is beyond belief 1.60
    Multi vitamin juice is fab 1.19
    Bread baps georgous 1.00
    Indonesia/greek stirfry unreal 2.49
    Romeo coconut bars divine 1.19
    Sugar land cheewy sheets 2.59
    Thousand island sauce 0.99
    Mooredale 8 Burgers 2.29
    And dont get me started on the Aldi Rib eye steaks, ive died and gone to heaven.
    With these goodies who the hwll would go to Tesco and pay more than double for there crap tesco value muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Iskenderun

I couldn't agree more SouthKerry, Tesco is ghastly. They should clear off, but it is unlikely given the profits (undeclared) which they make in Ireland.
    Thank goodness for Lidl and Aldi.
    Also, I'd like to see Carrefour make a move into Ireland.

kwalshe wrote: »
    the rib eye steak in aldi is 11 for 2 steak are the nicest steaks i have ever had and old chunky butt has had a few

+ 1 for these bad boys. HAHM!

Iskenderun wrote: »
    Lidl is fab. Some of my favourite things are:
    # Parmesan (big chunks for about €5)
    # Dark chocolate (around €1.30 I think)
    # Loose vine tomatoes (really fab and juicy)
    # Beer Graffenwalder (made to German Standards, not this multinational muck for €1.15 a can
    # Shampoo for 99c
    I could go on but that's it for the moment!

Is the parmesan in the blue packets :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

aldi turkey steak...mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

kwalshe wrote: »

Are they Irish? Must head down to lidl and aldi sometime soon, perhaps sunday.

Are they Irish? Must head down to lidl and aldi sometime soon, perhaps sunday.

Yup, traceable Irish rib eye. Only in Aldi I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

Yeah there only in Aldi, they were 12 euro now there 10 euro, i usually eat the 2 of them together like a savage:D cant help myself.
    Just brought Some maderia cake in Aldi today for 1.99 i think, its beautiful and to think i used to buy Foxfords Maderia cake for 3.49 in Dunness:confused:.
    The chicken Nuggets in Aldi are super as well nicest ive had in a long time and only 2.29, Tropicana Orange juice is only 1.49 there as oposed to 2.80 in Tesco. Brought a couple of tins of peaches today 45c each havent tried them yet.

Advertisement