Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi finds ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Iskenderun

Is the parmesan in the blue packets :confused:

Yes, it's blue. Matured for 24 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Iskenderun

Some more of my favourite Lidl things:
    # Shower gel, lovely smell, 99c
    # Toothpaste, mint, 99c
    # cornflakes, I think they are about €1.70
    They used to stock Kania Dijon mustard in a large jar, but it seems to have disappeared from stock. I hate it when supermarkets do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

They used to do a Bake-To-Rise Pizza with chicken and bacon that was actually one of, if not the nicest, frozen pizza I've (and the missus has) ever had. But its disappeared for some unknown German reason, replaced by a reasonable meaty feast one.

Also of note are the tear 'n share garlic bread, the fresh pre packed special range burgers, the orange juice (not from concentrate), the copy-of-Viscount biscuits, the egg waffles, the mixed choc spread....

Funniest thing is that I considered Aldi (and Lidl) beneath me for years... that only poor people bought their crap food there. Oh how being jobless and having a sensible girlfriend changed my view on all that!!

I'd not actually go back to Tesco again, honest. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Iskenderun wrote: »
    Yes, it's blue. Matured for 24 months.

ok i was just making shore :D.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

The Big of Vannilla Icecream in a tub that's a strong dark blue colour. Real Vannilla pod pieces in it .... as good as the best homemade iceream any where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I have recently started to shop here and cant believe the difference its made to my shopping bill.
    Love the fruit and veg
    Honey Roast Ham is fab
    Pasta & tins of tomatoes
    Breads & coleslaw
    The do a batterd Haddock too and its really nice

Last week I was there they had a double packet of viscount biscuits for 99c, I was in a shop today and they were selling a single pack of visounts for €2.95

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

LIDL:
    Cloudy not from concentrate Apple Juice
    They also sell Copella Fresh Apple Juice, which I could just down in one go.
    Passatta is good quality, perfect for tomato-based sauces.
    Jumbo Sausages (NIre) are pretty good
    Fresh fruit is good (apricots, plums, peaches)
    Pickles (I prefer the baby cornichons)
    Smoked Sliced Cheese (it melts great in toasties!)
    Milks and fresh cream are perfectly fine.
    Balsamic isn't great, but if you reduce it, it's nice.
    Corn Flakes - I can't tell the difference.

They are beginning to sell a number of everyday brand products (cheaper), like:
    Weetabix, Heinz soups, Franziskaner, Cadburys, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Lidls cornflakes are class, cannot tell the difference between them and kellogs.

One thing i noticed about aldis and lidls is that all the products in lidls are about ten times more colourful, tis like a kaleidoscope in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just discovered the LIdil Greek style yoghurt
    Comes in a 1kg bucket!!
    Really good - thick and creamy and cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just discovered the LIdil Greek style yoghurt
    Comes in a 1kg bucket!!
    Really good - thick and creamy and cheap!
    Yea, that's good stuff. They've got some really nice real Greek goat/sheep milk feta of the same make now as well, instead of that awful cows milk 'salad cheese' or whatever they called it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I got the brockwurst/german smoked sausage family pack in Lidl recently for a BBQ. They were the nicest sausages i've had in ages and they were 88% pork. will be getting them again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The lidl egg mayonaise - OH DEAR GOD - I would eat the whole tub.....no seriously i would:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Aldi Specially Selected Valencia Orange Juice (not from concentrate)

Absolutely the best juice I have ever drank. Large sized bottle too, played 36 holes of golf on Tuesday and the juice and the bag of apples I bought in Aldi kept me going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Cassidy1

They used to do a Bake-To-Rise Pizza with chicken and bacon that was actually one of, if not the nicest, frozen pizza I've (and the missus has) ever had. But its disappeared for some unknown German reason, replaced by a reasonable meaty feast one.

Also of note are the tear 'n share garlic bread, the fresh pre packed special range burgers, the orange juice (not from concentrate), the copy-of-Viscount biscuits, the egg waffles, the mixed choc spread....

Funniest thing is that I considered Aldi (and Lidl) beneath me for years... that only poor people bought their crap food there. Oh how being jobless and having a sensible girlfriend changed my view on all that!!

I'd not actually go back to Tesco again, honest. :)

Hi! We are exactly the same. All that money we used to spend in Tesco every week was shocking compared to what we now can get in Lidl every week we would fill our fridge for €50.00 and that is for three of us like!! :D

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Lidls cornflakes are class, cannot tell the difference between them and kellogs.

One thing i noticed about aldis and lidls is that all the products in lidls are about ten times more colourful, tis like a kaleidoscope in there...

Ya my son wouldnt really eat cereal but he was mad for Lidl cornflakes and I would have the odd bowl too.

Anyone tried Lidl's mayo its absolutely fab!

Also I want them to bring back them sandwich things - There were two in a pack for like €2 with ham and cheese and just toast them in the oven. They were a delicious snack at nightime! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

my personal recommendations:

Their hovis brown/seed bread, not seen it anywhere else and its lovely!

McEnnedys chocolate chunk cookies

El tequito hot salsa sauce (goes great with the cheese nacho chips they have)

Their bog standard cooked ham, round slices packed into a fairly big box, delicious.

And last but not least, the chocolate pillows cereal that they used to have was just the nicest cereal ive ever tasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lidl balti curry sauce is by far the nicest curry sauce you'll get in a jar from anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

This week Aldi have venison burgers and ostrich steaks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How many of you work in lidl? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Dolorous wrote: »
    This week Aldi have venison burgers and ostrich steaks :D

Yeah i saw them, have you tried them? There like 4 euro i might give them a try as i like gamey tasting meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Tried the venison burgers, they are delicious. I've yet to try the ostrich. I picked up one of the Angus rib-eye steaks too, yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I picked up the Ostrich and Venison at the weekend, thanks to this thread.

I'm having the Ostrich tonight, so will report back.

Another thing I love from Lidl is the "High Juice" Blackcurrant cordial. It's the nearest thing to Ribena I've ever tasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Various smoked fishes (in the small plastic packs) very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

You really do find the weirdest things for sale in Lidl...

87892.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Cassidy1 wrote: »
    Anyone tried Lidl's mayo its absolutely fab!

yes i have and its sooo nice i prefer it over hellmans which is weird coz i love hellmans!!!!

Aldi have gorgeous sweet chilli sauce in this week pity it nly comes in once a year :( its the nicest ever i bought 3 bottles :pac: they are 89c ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

The tins of tomatoes in lidl are the best ever, and they're only 45c! Also the maple cure rashers are great.

agreed, I make all my own tomato sauce since i discovered the cheapy ingredients in lidl:)

Love there sour cream and onion crisps too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

agreed, I make all my own tomato sauce since i discovered the cheapy ingredients in lidl:)

You know you could go one better buy buying a few beef tomatos, tomato puree, bit of garlic, some basil and maybe some chilli and making your very own tomato sauce ;)

All available in Lidl/Aldi at knockdown prices, and infinitely better for you.

I've just had a nice dinner with brocolli, mash, carrotts and cabbage from Lidl and a lovely chicken breast from the butchers.

For desert some Lidl ice-cream, and a snack of some lovely red grapes, also from Lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Des wrote: »
    You know you could go one better buy buying a few beef tomatos, tomato puree, bit of garlic, some basil and maybe some chilli and making your very own tomato sauce ;)

All available in Lidl/Aldi at knockdown prices, and infinitely better for you.

I've just had a nice dinner with brocolli, mash, carrotts and cabbage from Lidl and a lovely chicken breast from the butchers.

For desert some Lidl ice-cream, and a snack of some lovely red grapes, also from Lidl

yep Des I do make my own tomato sauce ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nice:

ALDI specially selected yoghurt (vanilla is lovely. If you're going for strawberry, get it from the short wide tub, not the narrow tall tub).
    ALDI carlos pizza
    ALDI frozen salmon
    Lidl "Goody" muesli.
    Lidl wheat beer.
    Schlogettan chocolate (from Lidl, think it's in ALDI as well).
    Armagh cheddar from ALDI.
    Lidl american chocolate chip cookies.

Yuck:

ALDI bramwell tomato ketchup (too sweet)
    ALDI baked beans (too sweet as well).
    Harvest morn breakfast cereals (can't remember if they're from Lidl or ALDI).
    The lidl beer in the small green bottles.

Advertisement