Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street Performers - Cork

• 13-06-2009 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Who the hell invited all the camera holders today.

You couldn't move without hitting some clown with a 70-200 fully extended. Many of them must have thought they had full accreditation - standing up in front of everyone, posing as press photographers to get pictures of young girls (I kid you not), telling onlookers to move, and in one case obstructing the performer.

Actually it was a little bit funny to watch. The press photographers there had just a t-shirt and two cameras. The camera holders had photographers jackets, customised neck straps, 1 very basic body, a back pack that Ryanair would charge €60 for, a tripod or monopod strapped on, and most importantly a look of authority that separated them from everyone else present.

These camera holders obviously have more money than sense.

It was a fantastic free family event, and the camera holders did not spoil it for too many, but come on lads - know your place.

Comments

Get any pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Those damn amateur photographers...........:D
    I wasn't there myself but I'm hoping to be there tomorrow ! with my 100-300mm.......so..... 'stand back please, pro photographer coming thru !' eek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Who the hell invited all the camera holders today.

You couldn't move without hitting some clown with a 70-200 fully extended. Many of them must have thought they had full accreditation - standing up in front of everyone, posing as press photographers to get pictures of young girls (I kid you not), telling onlookers to move, and in one case obstructing the performer.

Actually it was a little bit funny to watch. The press photographers there had just a t-shirt and two cameras. The camera holders had photographers jackets, customised neck straps, 1 very basic body, a back pack that Ryanair would charge €60 for, a tripod or monopod strapped on, and most importantly a look of authority that separated them from everyone else present.

These camera holders obviously have more money than sense.

It was a fantastic free family event, and the camera holders did not spoil it for too many, but come on lads - know your place.

troll much ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

lets assume there is merit here,albeit perhaps one sided, to the question of 'do photographers assume an undue position of dominance at public events?'

opinion / experiences folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    lets assume there is merit here,albeit perhaps one sided, to the question of 'do photographers assume an undue position of dominance at public events?'

I -do- think the OP could have framed the question without implying, amongst other things, that all amateur photographers are paedophiles ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭iceax

I'm hoping to be there tomorrow with my 70 to 300mm TOO. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Damn photographers always getting in the way! I'll make sure to bring my 300mm along just for added weight to throw around

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I -do- think the OP could have framed the question without implying, amongst other things, that all amateur photographers are paedophiles ...

Indeed Daire. I thought you'd nailed it with the trolling observation.
    The blood temp raised when I read that line. Whilst the OP could indeed be airing a point re intrusiveness, bullying and sense of there own importance (never mind ability). The notion the we the general public should be shocked that photographers are taking pictures of girls is risible at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

That's a fair point DQ, I watched one guy do that and it was quite unnerving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I'm thinking that the OP has a very valid point. He/she could have been, maybe, a little bit less enthusiastic, but I see where he/she is coming from.

• Advertisement

I also wish ( and have for awhile now) that we had a thumbs down as well as a "thanks" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Sorry guys, wanted to make a point but did not wish to offend.

Mods: Feel free to delete thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You couldn't move without hitting some clown with a 70-200 fully extended.

I stopped reading your little rant right here because I was laughing so hard. Last I checked, the 70-200 lens doesn't change size, regardless of what way you zoom it :D

FAIL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I stopped reading your little rant right here because I was laughing so hard. Last I checked, the 70-200 lens doesn't change size, regardless of what way you zoom it :D

FAIL.

Likewise, gave me a good laugh at that point.

I'm looking forward to the Street Performers World Championship next weekend in Dublin. Over the last few years I've had a few performers contact me and ask about licensing my images for their use.

So, I'll certainly do my best to be up front and getting the good snaps. :D

Sorry guys, wanted to make a point but did not wish to offend.

Mods: Feel free to delete thread.

Please don't apologise. You have a very valid point. Jeez. How defensive some ppl can be :(

I agree with the OP in general though. As the owner of both a kid and a camera there is a balance in taking snaps that is often tilted with photographers. When with a kid they can be a major pain in the hole. They get in the way a lot, barge about, bonk people on the head, step on toes and obscure the view from the kids vantage point. The OP has a point and it does no harm in reminding the enthusiastic 'tog to bare it in mind that it's a public event for the public to view.

It's just the notion that people taking pics of young girls is not on is really offen
    sive but sure we're a thick skinned lot and can get over that.
    As for him not knowing the action of a certain lens isn't really important, minor detail error that can easily be made by a non-enthusiast. I wouldn't let that take away frow his point...which up to a point is a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Paul make sure you have gumshields and body armour because I'm hoping to cover a few events and if you get in my way I'll use whatever's necessary to get my shots! :pac::pac:

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

kensutz wrote: »
    Paul make sure you have gumshields and body armour because I'm hoping to cover a few events and if you get in my way I'll use whatever's necessary to get my shots! :pac::pac:

gumshields?? haha taking pictures inside his mouth :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I too was planing on trying to be at the dublin event on one or more days if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Don't forget we're hosting the official SPWC photo group here: http://pix.ie/group/spwc

Canon have offered a bunch of prizes for best photos uploaded...

Marcus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I see that you added my set to that group, thanks for that Marcus. :) I couldn't do it myself since I can only upload by e-mail.

What's the point of this thread again?? To remind us to get our cameras out next weekend and take picts of a wonderful public event??

I think the vast majority of photographers here go to these events to 1) enjoy the event and also 2) get some good photos. I think we're responsible enough to blend in, and not block others.

I'm very much looking forward to it all, and plan to be there Thurs/Fri and Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I think the OP was venting annoyance that one or 2 people weren't being so considerate of others. Personally I hung around at the back, so if I blocked anyone, it was people who came later and stood behind me. I only remember seeing 1 person with a camera standing in the middle of a load of seated spectators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I briefly walked through SPWC in cork yesterday and didn't exactly have the same experience as the OP. I didn't see anyone taking inappropriate pictures of young girls. However nudity was being encouraged by the performers: ;):D

B291841C11B34CA2812C68C3A4ACC432-500.jpg

I intend to return today with my camera to get more shots. Granted there were a lot of amateurs but why should photography at these events be limited to professionals. As long as photographers (amateur and pro) remain courteous in their attempts to get good angles and do not interfere with other people's enjoyment on the day then I fail to see the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Boards mini-meet for the Dublin one next week? Was great last year! In respect of the OP I will try to keep my lenses pulled in at all times :rolleyes:

Arciphel wrote: »
    Boards mini-meet for the Dublin one next week? Was great last year! In respect of the OP I will try to keep my lenses pulled in at all times :rolleyes:

Pity we didn't have the Boards.ie badge/cummerband/strap/crown-topper/sash/distinctive handshake mode of identification in place.

I'll be there and shall be walking with a limp through great plumes of smoke whilst whistling Paolo Conti's Max. Do say hi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

humberklog wrote: »
    Pity we didn't have the Boards.ie badge/cummerband/strap/crown-topper/sash/distinctive handshake mode of identification in place.

I'll be there and shall be walking with a limp through great plumes of smoke whilst whistling Paolo Conti's Max. Do say hi.

I'll be sporting the Buzzlightyear boards Photographer outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

i thought this was the standard issue boardsie badge nowadays? ;)

3239052296_978841668c_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

AnCatDubh wrote: »

In fairness, most photographers are grand, amateur or pro. Hanging around at the back of the crowd behind the 6' 4" 18 stone local tractor-pulling champion is unlikely to result in good pictures, unless (s)he borrowed Superman's camera!

I have seen the occasional one act the maggot, though. Personally, I don't really appreciate being thumped in the ear by a lens and then tutted at as if it was my fault (I hadn't even moved, ffs! :rolleyes:)

Worst I saw was at Galway Arts Festival Parade some years back though, this guy backing away rapidly and at an angle in front of the parade and steps back full weight on a child's foot at the edge of the crowd. His response? Told the kid to "f*** off out of the way!" I'm surprised the mother didn't hit him, I honestly wouldn't have blamed her.

Such incidents are very much the exception rather than the rule though, in my experience, and sure if you hand a camera to an asshole, he won't stop being an asshole!

And while I'm a very very amateur point-and-shoot photographer, I do appreciate the frustration of trying to get a photograph with everyone constantly getting in your way, and would tend to duck out of the way of someone with a decent camera.

At the Street Performers shows, I do tend to go up the very front, but I sit on the ground. That way, I don't have people blocking my view, and those behind can still see.

I've delt with scrums of professional photographers at big events (Magners League Winners presentation, Heineken Cup presentation, etc), so I'm more than capable of standing my ground and using my elbows to get more room, but at these Street Events, there is more than enough room for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

@ PaulW: Don't get too close: Apparently some guy with a camera phone got a broken nose from one of the performers :D.

I had to take most of my shots from somewhere in the middle of the crowd as it was so busy in cork, so when i got home there was a lot of deleting of shots where someones hair was in the way :rolleyes:;). Got this shot from behind the crowd though-which I really like :)

B03391F1A1D0412A873045F752092F82-500.jpg

@ Arciphel: Yeh I was wearing my Boards (smugmug) uniform yesterday ;) but didn't encounter anyone else with the same.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

some fantastic pics there :) hope to see some of you lot out snapping this weekend :D there will be plenty of local irish jugglers around too so feel free to drop over asking for me :) ill hopefully have time to catch a few pics myself if i get the chance to dust off the camera :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I plan on heading in on Saturday, should be good!

Any one recommend a good time to arrive so as to get a good view?

Acts change every so often, so it's a matter of moving around and getting your spot as you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Paulw wrote: »
    Acts change every so often, so it's a matter of moving around and getting your spot as you go.
    Cool, should be good fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Here's the timetable for people,

http://www.spwc.ie/dublin/dublin.html

Advertisement