Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual deposit situation

• 13-06-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

My lease is up at the end of the month and I've been to see a few new places. One of the houseshares I saw was nice but none of the other sharers were in at the time (landlord showed me round). I said I liked it but wanted to think about it - the landlord said he'd been flooded with emails about it on daft and I'd have to leave a deposit to secure it on the spot, which I did, with the proviso I'd like to meet the other sharers before signing a contract. The deposit was needed there and then on that day so the landlord would talk it down from daft, but it's still being marketed.

I've had a voicemail from him saying he's going on a holiday at the end of next week until sometime in July and he'll need me to sign a contract and give over a month's rent on Monday in person, but I'm working away at the minute and can't physically get there to do it. He also reiterated in the message that he'd been flooded with enquiries etc. so I'm sure he won't have too much trouble filling the room (the current occupant leaves at the end of the month).

It's not an ideal situation on either side but does anyone know if my deposit is gone for good? I understand he has overheads etc. which is fair enough, but assuming the room is only empty for a short time if at all, is it reasonable to ask for some of it back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

If he is going on hols, I suspect he was anxious to get someone to take the room. Of course he is going to say he's been flooded with enquiries - but I highly doubt it in the current market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Sounds dodgy. Maybe it's a scam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sounds VERY, VERY dodgy. I would request my deposit be returned to me if I were you.
    I presume you have a receipt or a witness to prove you paid the deposit to this guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jbrst

Yep, I did get a receipt! He was a bit taken back that I asked for one, but considering he drove me to the ATM to get the cash out (it felt as weird at the time as it does now writing it!) I thought I should keep it all above board. Other than that he seemed legit enough, so I don't think it's a scam as if he's taking deposits off 20 people or anything, I just think things haven't worked out the way either of us had planned.

As I never actually signed anything, and assuming he can fill the room with minimal cost, can I reasonably ask for the deposit back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Yes ask for your deposit back. If he's really "flooded" with enquiries then he'll have no issues with this if he's above board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

jbrst wrote: »
    Yep, I did get a receipt! He was a bit taken back that I asked for one, but considering he drove me to the ATM to get the cash out

God, it gets worse! I have a horrible feeling you've been scammed. Ring the guy today and tell him you've changed your mind and want the deposit back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I agree with Etho. The fact he actually drove you to the ATM sounds off. Glad you got a receipt at least, and hope you get the deposit back ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I hope its not a scam but it reminds me of the following

A Polish man whose €28,100 Dublin city centre "apartment scam" left some foreign nationals living on the streets has been given an 18 month suspended sentence.

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/incoming_dailyfeed/scam-left-tenants-living-on-streets-1385765.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

seriously how could you actualyl believe the line that he had been flooded with emails form daft.

its a renters market you should have walked there and then. the fact you have given him a deposit means hes going to keep it even if you decide not to move in with the argument he could have rented elsewhere but you said you would take it.

silly silly silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

As soon as that guy told you he was flooded with emails for that place you could have known something was not right.
    I dont think there are many landlords being flooded at this moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

you could try asking for deposit back tell him you cant pay the rent that quick. but be careful this guy could turn nasty. he might not be returning from that 'holiday'

Advertisement