Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preserving print quality in frames

• 13-06-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place to ask so mods please feel free to move..

We are looking to decorate the local gaa clubhouse with photos on the inside.
    However having been in many a clubhouse we see so many have photos in frames but over the course of time they become faded probably due to the fact that the buildings usually are unheated most of the time and prehaps condensation etc..

I am just wondering what would be the best way to preserve photos so that they last? Or is there any way to reduce avoid this problem? Its kind of important for us to get it right as we are planning to put a good sized shot maybe A2 on the corridor just inside the front door and we want to get that right! So if anyone has any advice or point of view please add it!

Comments

No idea on your question but you could go for a couple of digitial picture frames.

You get a wide range of images then and they do seem to become focal points for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

well there are LOTS of factors to consider

if they are to be frame some of the simple things to watch for are
    archival prints, archival mountboard, etc

another option is to ad a laminate surface to the print, this will aid in longevity, also means you dont have to put glass in the frame for example

another thing would be to mount them on board etc instead of in a frame, will help again with rough and toughness for a want of a better way to explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fading is usually caused by exposure to light, mainly UV light in sunlight. Framing materials can also play a part as stcstc pointed out.

How the prints are made is probably the most important factor.

The worst are probably those made on cheap photo paper using dye based inks from an inkjet printer.

Inkjet prints on high quality photo paper using pigment based inks will not fade within the lifetime of the person who printed them.

Photos printed on Fuji Crystal Archive paper are good for 60 years. This is the paper all Fuji labs I have used print on as standard.

Cibachrome prints are good for 29 years.

I have some cibachromes that are exposed to light from a window and they are still stunning after 8 or more years.

http://www.lorenadams.com/PURPLE/DIRLINKS/fading.html

And if you want too much info: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i thought crystal archive was only good for around 30-40 year mark

thats interesting about 60, where that figure come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

stcstc wrote: »
    i thought crystal archive was only good for around 30-40 year mark

thats interesting about 60, where that figure come from?

The first of the two links I gave.

It is also mentioned in this document from Whilhelm intitute: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/PCWorld_PhotoFade_July_2001.pdf

If you paste - fuji crystal archive 60 years - into google you will also get 12,500 hits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement