Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Spoilers* UFC 99 Discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

cowzerp wrote: »
    I thought davis won, it was close though, he's my favourite fighter so maybe im biased!!

As much as I hate to say it the right man won on the night, I felt so bad for Davis and you could tell Hardy's trash talking etc... got to him. I was talking to Mark Dellagrotte a few hours after the event and he said that Marcus thinks he left all hes fans down. Marcus was not at the after party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

That was Stefan Struve. He was the one that left all the blood in the ring, he got big cut in round one but came back to win the fight in round 2 (It was one of the best comebacks ever) the crowd went crazy as did I.

I met him in his locker room just before the fight, it was great, hes quiet and very young looking, i was cheering for him all the way and i was happy he finished the fight after that big cut, i dont like stonjic at all

Tones69 wrote: »
    I met him in his locker room just before the fight, it was great, hes quiet and very young looking, i was cheering for him all the way and i was happy he finished the fight after that big cut, i dont like stonjic at all

I seen Stefan fight at UFC 95 and he was **** and I thought he was going to be **** again last night, he took one hell of a beaten but never gave up, he won my respect for that, I meet him at the after party and you are right, he looks so young and is very quiet, just like John Hathaway (who is a very nice guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

That was Stefan Struve. He was the one that left all the blood in the ring, he got big cut in round one but came back to win the fight in round 2 (It was one of the best comebacks ever) the crowd went crazy as did I.

cheers mate. must get a look at that fight. I was working last night so I missed it, i think its being shown again tonight on setanta at 11

mcdermott wrote: »
    cheers mate. must get a look at that fight. I was working last night so I missed it, i think its being shown again tonight on setanta at 11

I don't think that fight made it onto TV.

• Advertisement

As much as I hate to say it the right man won on the night, I felt so bad for Davis and you could tell Hardy's trash talking etc... got to him. I was talking to Mark Dellagrotte a few hours after the event and he said that Marcus thinks he left all hes fans down. Marcus was not at the after party.

Ok, after watching this fight on TV I now think Davis won that fight, guess the blood won it for Hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Haven't seen the prelims but I thought it was a great show, especially the main event. Wanderlei is awesome! Good to see him get his clinch on again too, even if only for two seconds.

Was a bit frustrated by Kongo. I thought he had a clear advantage standing and a clear disadvantage in bottom position, but yet he insisted on staying clinched up with Valasquez instead of moving back and striking from round 1 through to round 3.

Good to see Mirko finally pull the trigger this time, pity about the eye-poke.

Didn't really want Hardy to win, but he definitely deserved it based on damage done. Davis' face was rearranged by the end of the third. Davis probably controlled more of the fight though. Guess damage done is (rightfully) more important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

t-ha wrote: »
    Guess damage done is (rightfully) more important?

You sound like BJ dude!:D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

No way was that a unanimous deicison for Ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

jayteecork wrote: »
    No way was that a unanimous deicison for Ace.

Who do you think won the fight??

I hate people that say, "Yes, I think Franklin won but I dont think it should have been unanimous" !!!!

Quiet annoying. If you think that Franklin won, all three judges agreed with you

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Thought Silva won the last two rounds - as Rogan said he caused way more damage - shouldn't that be the main criterion for winning a round?

What did Rich offer in the last 2 rounds? A puny takedown. And a kick in the balls.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Thought Silva won the last two rounds - as Rogan said he caused way more damage - shouldn't that be the main criterion for winning a round?

What did Rich offer in the last 2 rounds? A puny takedown. And a kick in the balls.

obviusly all judges scored the first and second to Rich. Which makes them all 29-28 therefore unanimous

EDIT: Just looked on WIKI there.,,2 judges scored it 30-27 the other 29-28..Still, im not surprised..Franklin was in no trouble at any stage of the match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

if the first round was 4.15 i would score it a 10-8 to davis. but in the last 45 seconds hardy got up off the ground and turned it around, almost drawing it but you'd have to give the first round 10-9 to davis.

Again, 2nd round is hard to judge. You have to give it to Hardy because he dropped him with the knee. Davis is walking into the punches a la Wandy and eating them up so he can throw his own. Hardy, like Franklin, is just staying out of the brawl and using his reach. DAvis got the take downs and the submission attempts. I think if you're DAvis biased you could call it a 9-9 but I think the impact of the knockdown would sneak it a 10-9 hardly.

First half of third round belonged to Davis with the knock down punch and the control on the ground. But the tide turned when he allowed himself to be taken down. He caught that elbow, bloodied himself up and looked totally wrecked by the end of the fight. While Hardy looked like he'd only had a few rounds of sparring.

IT's very very close but I think Davis has better clinch, better ground but didn't implement the better game plan and came off the worst of the big exchanges so I can understand the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Havent seen the undercard yet, but the main card was overall disappointing.

It was very frustrating watching Kongo clinching with Cain in the third round. Felt cain should have been able to finish aswell.

As much as I would liked to have seen him lose, I cant dispute the Hardy decision.

The Crocop fight was a shmables, the eyepoke was just nasty. Al Turk was outmatched anyway, but that fight was just depressing.

The main event fight was really exciting, unfortunately the fight was ruined on me by somebody telling me the result beforehand. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Hardy beat Davis, his face was a mess and Davis acted like a teenage cock IMO.

Cro-Cop was unimpressive. Flat footed and slow.

Cain should have gone for the armbar on about 15 occasions. His GNP was worse than Randy's

And silva is not the man he once was. The old wandy would not have gassed after 5 minutes. The guy that played footie with sakuraba was not the same guy that was in that ring. I think running the centre has taken away his single minded doggedness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Main event was scored 30-27, 30-27, 29-28 for Franklin

:eek:

rovert wrote: »
    Main event was scored 30-27, 30-27, 29-28 for Franklin

:eek:

Yup.. i said that a couple of posts before you...

Do you think Franklin won?..I gave it 29-28 to Rich..the first to rounds to him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

callaway92 wrote: »
    Yup.. i said that a couple of posts before you...

Do you think Franklin won?..I gave it 29-28 to Rich..the first to rounds to him

Nice edit :p

rovert wrote: »
    Nice edit :p

I edited it yesterday at 22:17 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Fight stats out on the Davies v hardy fight.

It has Davies winning via the 10 point must system but Hardy winning by their stats.

Take a look..

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Hardy-Davis.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jughead202

Advertisement