Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Laws

Options
  • 13-06-2009 9:42pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would these be an improvement ?

Bike Paths

Motorized vehicles are not permitted on bike paths or in Dublin parks except parking areas.

Curfew

Youths under age 13 should not be in or upon public streets, public places, places of amusement or entertainment, vacant lots, or other unsupervised places after 9 p.m. during the school year, and after 10 p.m. during the summer. Youths between ages 13 and 17 should not be in or upon public streets, public places, places of amusement or entertainment, vacant lots, or other unsupervised places between the hours of midnight and 4:30 a.m.

Graffiti Control

Property owners are required to quickly remove any form of graffiti from their premises. If graffiti is not removed, the City will send the property owner written notice to remove it within five days (including tips on how to remove graffiti and a list of professional organizations that provide graffiti removal services). Failure to remove the graffiti following notice from the City is subject to penalty.

In cases where graffiti occurs on public property within City boundaries, the City is responsible for its removal within 48 hours. If the public property is not City-owned, the City will obtain permission from the appropriate public entity before removing the graffiti.

Grass and Weed Control

Noxious weeds and grass must be mowed regularly from March 1 to October 31 to prevent weeds/grass from exceeding 6 inches in height or maturing to seed. Owners of properties that do not comply will receive a notice from the City to cut or mow the weeds/grass within five days. If the owner fails to do this, the City will hire a private contractor to do the work at the owner’s expense.

House Numbers

House numbers must be placed in a conspicuous place as assigned by Building Standards. They must be no less than 4 inches in height so public safety vehicles can easily locate the residence in case of an emergency.

Noise

Individuals and entities must not create noise that is plainly audible at a distance of 50 feet and is disruptive to any person of normal sensitivity. The operation of lawn mowers and other landscaping equipment may only take place between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m.

Construction operations may only take place between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. Requests may be made to the City Manager to extend these hours on a project-by-project basis. The loading and unloading of commercial waste containers may only take place between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. if the container is located within 500 yards of a residential area.

Open Burning

Open burning is not permitted in Dublin corporation limits. Small, attended fires for cooking purposes are permitted during favorable weather conditions without prior approval. Bonfires require prior approval

Parking

Commercial Vehicle

The parking of commercial vehicles is prohibited in
    residential districts unless the vehicle is enclosed in a garage, provided the garage door is no taller than nine feet in height. Exceptions exist for delivery purposes.

Recreational Vehicle

A recreational vehicle may be stored on a residential property provided it is fully enclosed by a structure so that it cannot be seen from an adjacent street.

No vehicles may be parked in a landscaped front, side or rear yard.

Guidelines for parking recreational vehicles in residential districts include:

* A recreational vehicle may be located on a residential lot and outside of an enclosed structure for up to 72 hours in any 30-day period, provided the owner or person in charge of the vehicle is a guest of the resident(s) of that lot. In no case shall the vehicle be used for overnight sleeping or living.
    * Parking of recreational vehicles is prohibited within the public rights-of-way, any required side or rear yards and no-build/disturb zones.
    * All parking must be on a hard, paved surface. The above regulations also apply to other large recreational vehicles such as boats and trailered personal watercraft.

Private Parking

Abandoned motor vehicles are not to be left on private property for more than 72 hours or on public streets or other open public property areas for more than 48 hours. Any such vehicle will be considered a nuisance and will be removed at the owner’s expense.

Pet / Animal Regulations

Animal Bites

Any individual who is bitten by a dog or other animal must report the incident to the appropriate county
    board of health within 24 hours. The dog or animal should be examined by a veterinarian within 24 hours and be confined for at least a 10-day period

Dangerous/Vicious Dogs

Under the City of Dublin Vicious Dog Ordinance, all dogs defined as “dangerous” or “vicious” must be securely confined at all times. Owners of vicious dogs are required to have liability insurance of at least 100,000.

Signs

To install a permanent or temporary sign in the City of Dublin, a permit must be obtained from Land Use and Long Range Planning. Signs are not permitted within the City rights-of-way or on trees, utility poles or street signs. Signs are limited to three colors per sign. Banners, signs on trailers, neon signs and signs with changeable copy (except prices) are not permitted in Dublin. Real estate signs are limited to one per street frontage and also have size and duration restrictions. No restrictions apply to any government flags and/or other governmental signs. Any improperly placed sign will be removed

City Income Tax

The local income tax rate is 2 percent and applies to gross wages, salaries and other personal service compensation and net profits of Dublin businesses. The revenue generated from income tax is used to fund
    the majority of City-provided services and capital improvement projects completed by the City. Income tax revenue is allocated 75 percent to the General Fund and 25 percent to the Capital Improvements Tax Fund. The income tax revenue allocated to the Capital Improvements Fund can only be utilized for capital improvements.

Property Tax

Property tax rates vary by “taxing district.” There are six different taxing districts in the City of Dublin; your taxing district is based upon where you live.

Hotel Tax

A 6 percent tax is levied on overnight stays in Dublin hotels. This revenue is invested back into the community for special events and cultural activities. The Dublin Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Dublin Arts Council each receive approximately 25 percent of the annual revenue generated by the hotel/motel tax.

Sales Tax

A 6.75 percent sales tax is imposed on taxable purchases

Trees

Dublin is home to more than 20,000 street trees. City trees are located on the rights-of-way (City-owned property) or on tree lawns (public property located in residential areas between the sidewalk and street or planted approximately three feet from the curb). Parks and Open Space keep a computerized record of all street trees and conducts regular maintenance.
    Residents have some responsibilities for the care of the trees including watering and mulching. Street trees should be watered one-inch per week during dry, hot months. Trees should be mulched once a year with
    two to three inches of mulch. If residents would like
    to fertilize street trees in front of their homes, specific requirements must be followed. Street trees cannot be moved, removed, pruned or replanted. Permission to plant in public tree lawns is required.

Tree Preservation

Developers and property owners are to replace “protected” trees (those over six inches in diameter at four-and-a-half feet above the ground) that are removed as part of a construction project. For single-family
    residences, the replacement requirement pertains to trees within “no build zones,” “no disturb zones” or “tree preservation zones.” Each removed “protected” tree must be replaced with enough trees to equalize the diameter of the previous tree. If this results in overcrowding, a fee to replace the remaining quota is required by the City for use in reforestation of public property.

http://tinyurl.com/DublinLaws

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You're embarrassing us in front of the culchies!

Dublin forum please

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dublin, Ohio?

There's a Dundalk in Maryland too

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

oh, more laws nobody will enforce! just what we needed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

To DeMods: As this was originally posted in After Hours can we treet it as such on the Dublin Forum?

Can we do this with all re-directed Threads that come this way via After Hours?

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    To DeMods: As this was originally posted in After Hours can we treet it as such on the Dublin Forum?

Can we do this with all re-directed Threads that come this way via After Hours?

FYI I deleted the redirect a minute after I moved it so the AH wouldn't pollute it unduly. :)

javaboy wrote: »
    FYI I deleted the redirect a minute after I moved it so the AH wouldn't pollute it unduly. :)

Not being snotty about it Java. Fully understand the move (this time more than others:D). But I was just curious as to how that (as an idea) would it go down with the powers that be. I like the idea, but I would, I don't Mod it and like to stir it up too!
    And After Hours doesn't pollute it, it adds a certain...jen nas sais quoi.

humberklog wrote: »
    Not being snotty about it Java. Fully understand the move (this time more than others:D). But I was just curious as to how that (as an idea) would it go down with the powers that be. I like the idea, but I would, I don't Mod it and like to stir it up too!
    And After Hours doesn't pollute it, it adds a certain...jen nas sais quoi.

Ah I wasn't taking it as snotty at all. It's just a lot of threads that get moved here from AH end up locked. Since this was a very sensible thread, I thought leaving the redirect out might help it survive.

Sorry mods for taking this OT.

I like the bonfires at Hollow'een and think that having to seek permission, especially as nearly all fires are lit by young teenagers, would sanitize this wonderful tradition beyond recognition. There a beautiful frisson in the air with this little spark of revelry and rebeliousness.

This is the more glaringly Swedish style rule that's on your post. Some aren't bad but some run against the grain of this nation. It's not Sweden and it doesn't have to be.

Just on a quick breakdown of men to empower/enact such governance of detailed by-laws I'd estimate it to be about one public sevant per person. Why not just have a paid-buddy system? You wake up and a guy can follow you around making sure that your behaving in a tip top and Bristol fashion orderly manner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I Don't think a lot of what works in Dublin Ohio would work here in Dublin Ireland. They probably have an effective city council, planning regulations and infrastructure which would support these laws and make them less draconian. Should they be enforced here it would effectively be a (self defeating) revenue raising exercise, with the city taxing citizens for what are in many cases city failures in the first place. Better to tackle the cause of the problem rather than tax and prosecute your way to a final solution. If introduced in Dublin Ireland these laws would be seen as big brother and oppressive, largely because it polices and taxes ordinary citizens for doing there best to live in a badly planned city. Applying (presuming that includes enforcement) of the Ohio laws to Dublin would simply increase bureaucracy, taxes / fines and be all together too big brother. Maybe in a better run city they might seem more acceptable and even welcome but introduced here now these laws would just be plain harassment.

Would these be an improvement ?
    Bike Paths
    Motorized vehicles are not permitted on bike paths or in Dublin parks except parking areas.

Clarification is first need on the many forms of "bike path" / "lane" / "track". I'm not convinced cycle lanes are even compatible with a lot of Dublin roads to be honest. Most are poorly finished, too poorly finished to be cycled on with 28 x 700 wheels or less IMO. They are poorly designed are are actually a hazard to cyclists to tell the truth. A better option might be better road surfacing ( all the way into the kerb ) and promoting a shared road mentality with motorists and cyclists, only providing cycle lanes where roads are wide enough to actually accommodate good quality and safe lanes. "Cycle paths" as in shared footpath / cycle lane should be abolished all together as pedestrians are often unaware they are actually walking on the cycle sections. Should safe cycle lanes ever be realistically introduced to our road infrastructure then by all means ban motorised vehicles from using them. Right now, as someone who cycles, cycle lanes are a waste of space for the most part, unusable in a lot of cases and full of parked cars or moving traffic trying to navigate through already too small roads as it is to handle the traffic. Public transport has a big part to play, without reducing private cars on the road cycle lanes will always be a PR exercise on our inadequate roads. I think it was the former PD's who reversed the proposed ban on motorised vehicles in cycle lanes. Why they were put there without the ban on cars is a noggin scratcher.

Regarding parking areas in the parks, there simply isn't enough, and cheap public transport should be made available from parking zones outside the parks to free up the parks all together of cars, either from park and ride facilitates or free park transporters looping the parks and collecting people from bus stops etc around the perimeter and ferrying them around the park to the point they wish to get off inside. I always avoid the phoneix park when cycling because of the amount of cars parked up, especially along side the zoo. There are segregated cycle and walking paths but you'll be hard pushed to get a few feet without walkers / joggers etc getting in your way. Where segregated cycle and walking paths are provided they should be monitored and fines handed out to people in the wrong lane. Once word gets around that people got fined for walking in segregated cycle lanes then people will avoid them. Like wise cyclists should be fined for cycling on the segregated footpath. Walking in a segregated cycle lane should be viewed in the same way as walking in the middle of a busy road, provided of course it's not a shared cycle / footpath in which case cyclists should just avoid it altogether and leave it to the peds. I always use the road if the cycle lane is shared. The park is a perfect example of everything thats wrong with cycling infrastructure in Dublin.
    Curfew

Youths under age 13 should not be in or upon public streets, public places, places of amusement or entertainment, vacant lots, or other unsupervised places after 9 p.m. during the school year, and after 10 p.m. during the summer. Youths between ages 13 and 17 should not be in or upon public streets, public places, places of amusement or entertainment, vacant lots, or other unsupervised places between the hours of midnight and 4:30 a.m.

9pm is a bit draconian and I'm not generally in favour of curfews. I think it's a bit reactionary tbh. I stayed out later than 9pm at that age myself but then again it was the 80's and there was fuck all else to do except play football on the road from dawn till dusk. Should someone break your curfew what would be the consequence for them? Parents fined? ASBO? On the face of it they shouldn't be out at those times anyway but how will you police it if you outlaw it?

I'd be in favour of a shoot to kill policy on kids playing scooter and badly remixed for the 49th time rave tunes which were half decent back in 1990 when the original was blared by a young clown bag in a socially responsible manor. Now however it upsets me no end when trying to sleep and some little scrote and his tracksuit wearing friends are playing it as loud as their radio will go at midnight on a Tuesday outside your house. Kids playing indie or a bit of rock should only receive a beating as they have started the maturing process, but still, midnight outside my window is not on.

Graffiti Control

Property owners are required to quickly remove any form of graffiti from their premises. If graffiti is not removed, the City will send the property owner written notice to remove it within five days (including tips on how to remove graffiti and a list of professional organizations that provide graffiti removal services). Failure to remove the graffiti following notice from the City is subject to penalty.

In cases where graffiti occurs on public property within City boundaries, the City is responsible for its removal within 48 hours. If the public property is not City-owned, the City will obtain permission from the appropriate public entity before removing the graffiti.
    Tax the victim?

Grass and Weed Control

Noxious weeds and grass must be mowed regularly from March 1 to October 31 to prevent weeds/grass from exceeding 6 inches in height or maturing to seed. Owners of properties that do not comply will receive a notice from the City to cut or mow the weeds/grass within five days. If the owner fails to do this, the City will hire a private contractor to do the work at the owner’s expense.

I assume we're talking about public spaces here? GTFO of my garden.
    House Numbers

House numbers must be placed in a conspicuous place as assigned by Building Standards. They must be no less than 4 inches in height so public safety vehicles can easily locate the residence in case of an emergency.
    Seems fair enough
    Noise

Individuals and entities must not create noise that is plainly audible at a distance of 50 feet and is disruptive to any person of normal sensitivity. The operation of lawn mowers and other landscaping equipment may only take place between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m.

Construction operations may only take place between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. Requests may be made to the City Manager to extend these hours on a project-by-project basis. The loading and unloading of commercial waste containers may only take place between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. if the container is located within 500 yards of a residential area.
    I agree with this. A provision should be made for house alarms / car alarms too. I've been kept awake many a night by house alarms going off constantly. At the same time though much noise reduction can be achieved with the correct insulation and materials being used in construction of homes. I've been in many a "town house" where the person next door annoyed me simply by walking around their house or flushing the toilet, never mind playing music at a low level. hardly their fault.
    Open Burning

Open burning is not permitted in Dublin corporation limits. Small, attended fires for cooking purposes are permitted during favorable weather conditions without prior approval. Bonfires require prior approval
    agreed

Parking
    Commercial Vehicle

The parking of commercial vehicles is prohibited in
    residential districts unless the vehicle is enclosed in a garage, provided the garage door is no taller than nine feet in height. Exceptions exist for delivery purposes.

Recreational Vehicle

A recreational vehicle may be stored on a residential property provided it is fully enclosed by a structure so that it cannot be seen from an adjacent street.

No vehicles may be parked in a landscaped front, side or rear yard.

Guidelines for parking recreational vehicles in residential districts include:

* A recreational vehicle may be located on a residential lot and outside of an enclosed structure for up to 72 hours in any 30-day period, provided the owner or person in charge of the vehicle is a guest of the resident(s) of that lot. In no case shall the vehicle be used for overnight sleeping or living.
    * Parking of recreational vehicles is prohibited within the public rights-of-way, any required side or rear yards and no-build/disturb zones.
    * All parking must be on a hard, paved surface. The above regulations also apply to other large recreational vehicles such as boats and trailered personal watercraft.

Private Parking

Abandoned motor vehicles are not to be left on private property for more than 72 hours or on public streets or other open public property areas for more than 48 hours. Any such vehicle will be considered a nuisance and will be removed at the owner’s expense.

One of the worst things about our "new" city is parking. Developments are ruined IMO as cars are parked anywhere and everywhere. There is a reason for it though. Bad planning. In their rush to fill every available slot of land with housing units, parking was not considered a necessity to "city living". The people living in these apartments often have no car parking spaces allocated or else have to pay annual fees for a spot. Going back to the cycle tracks, many that are on my routes are full of parked cars. I've often thought about photgraphing the registrations and emailing the Gardai as they piss me off no end but in reality, the people have literally no where else to park, through no fault of their own.

Many roads are lined with parked cars in dangerous positions as well as landscaped complexes being visually destroyed. Taxing the occupants is not really a fair solution though. They didn't approve the planning permission, they just bought the over priced shoe box. It's a bit much for the same city who granted permission to the developers to build these units, without driveways or parking areas to then tax the citizen for their failure to insist on proper parking in the first place.

Pet / Animal Regulations

Animal Bites

Any individual who is bitten by a dog or other animal must report the incident to the appropriate county
    board of health within 24 hours. The dog or animal should be examined by a veterinarian within 24 hours and be confined for at least a 10-day period

Dangerous/Vicious Dogs

Under the City of Dublin Vicious Dog Ordinance, all dogs defined as “dangerous” or “vicious” must be securely confined at all times. Owners of vicious dogs are required to have liability insurance of at least 100,000.
    I think the devil is in the detail on that one. i.e what do you define as a vicious dog. Any particular breed? A lot of these dogs are naturally good natured but trained to be aggressive by their owners.

Signs

To install a permanent or temporary sign in the City of Dublin, a permit must be obtained from Land Use and Long Range Planning. Signs are not permitted within the City rights-of-way or on trees, utility poles or street signs. Signs are limited to three colors per sign. Banners, signs on trailers, neon signs and signs with changeable copy (except prices) are not permitted in Dublin. Real estate signs are limited to one per street frontage and also have size and duration restrictions. No restrictions apply to any government flags and/or other governmental signs. Any improperly placed sign will be removed

A bit homer simpson but don't have a major problem with it. With regards to political posters the height restrictions should be enforced. I'd like to see city crews go out and pull down incorrectly placed posters every morning for a 2 week period before an election, the crews wages and expensies then being charged to the offending Party / candidate.

City Income Tax

The local income tax rate is 2 percent and applies to gross wages, salaries and other personal service compensation and net profits of Dublin businesses. The revenue generated from income tax is used to fund
    the majority of City-provided services and capital improvement projects completed by the City. Income tax revenue is allocated 75 percent to the General Fund and 25 percent to the Capital Improvements Tax Fund. The income tax revenue allocated to the Capital Improvements Fund can only be utilized for capital improvements.

Property Tax

Property tax rates vary by “taxing district.” There are six different taxing districts in the City of Dublin; your taxing district is based upon where you live.

Hotel Tax

A 6 percent tax is levied on overnight stays in Dublin hotels. This revenue is invested back into the community for special events and cultural activities. The Dublin Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Dublin Arts Council each receive approximately 25 percent of the annual revenue generated by the hotel/motel tax.

Sales Tax

A 6.75 percent sales tax is imposed on taxable purchases

The thing about tax is that it must be efficient, as in actually do more good than harm to public finances. If for example the above was to be introduced, say on top of existing rates and charges then I can't see hotels and other business absorbing these taxes without passing them onto the customer, i.e the citizen. It will mean less tourists and less consumer spending on the proposed areas, as well as an excuse for employers to reduce wages / demand unpaid over time on their already low paid staff.

Trees

Dublin is home to more than 20,000 street trees. City trees are located on the rights-of-way (City-owned property) or on tree lawns (public property located in residential areas between the sidewalk and street or planted approximately three feet from the curb). Parks and Open Space keep a computerized record of all street trees and conducts regular maintenance.
    Residents have some responsibilities for the care of the trees including watering and mulching. Street trees should be watered one-inch per week during dry, hot months. Trees should be mulched once a year with
    two to three inches of mulch. If residents would like
    to fertilize street trees in front of their homes, specific requirements must be followed. Street trees cannot be moved, removed, pruned or replanted. Permission to plant in public tree lawns is required.

Tree Preservation

Developers and property owners are to replace “protected” trees (those over six inches in diameter at four-and-a-half feet above the ground) that are removed as part of a construction project. For single-family
    residences, the replacement requirement pertains to trees within “no build zones,” “no disturb zones” or “tree preservation zones.” Each removed “protected” tree must be replaced with enough trees to equalize the diameter of the previous tree. If this results in overcrowding, a fee to replace the remaining quota is required by the City for use in reforestation of public property.

http://tinyurl.com/DublinLaws

meh, no complaints there really. One of the worst things to happen to a Dublin street in recent times was the removal of the mature trees on O Connell street imo. I'm all for a bit of landscaping and planting to enhance the city and existing mature planting should be preserved if at all possible. Sticking a couple beech saplings in a concrete jungle of a development doesn't qualify as landscaping, and landscaping should not be at the expense of public green areas either, i.e, somewhere a kid can actually kick a football around without being told to get off the management companies grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Who died and made you king?

Advertisement