Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a Beginner

• 13-06-2009 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Ok Guys i could read these articals till im blue in the face. Found lots of good info but just hoping someone can summarize where a guy like me should start with a diet. Im 20 BMI somewhere around 32-34 i think . Iv been playing alot of Rugby upto now so weight hasnt been as much of an issue but have stopped for a while and would like to lose some weight mabe a stone snd s ha.

I dieted once before a seemed to find my weight stayed the same no matter what i ate Diet or no diet
    Where is a good place to start.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Basically, stick to fresh whole unprocessed foods, and try to avoid anything with sugar, transfats or a lot of processing.

Great foods are eggs, oily fish, meat, chicken, lots and lots and lots of green vegetables, some dairy, olive oil, nuts, (did I mention green veg?) fruit, wholegrains. Aim to have a quality protein, a healthy fat and a vegetable in every sit down meal. Potato does not count as a vegetable.

Cut out anything with sugar as one of the first five ingredients. Sugar will send your insulin levels sky high, and you can't burn fat while insulin is high. Also avoid refined carbs like pasta and bread, cakes, biscuits and cornflakes. Porridge is a much better cereal. Avoid anything with transfats (margarine and baked goods and fast food), and try to avoid anything with long lists of ingredients. Most low fat ready meals are junk, with only a tiny amount of real food, and lots of thickeners and flavouring.

Eat when you are hungry. Stop eating when you are not hungry, and don't eat again until you are hungry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Saucey-Susie

I was the same as you, tried to diet and exercise myself and i may have lost a pound or two, but it would always go back on and I didnt really understand why.

Until I joined Weight Watchers. The 1st time you join in, they give you a folder explaining how it works (by points value) and there is a lot of information in it, easy to read and nice recepies too and example menues for the day. After you get weighed in, there is then a class where for 30 mins, the leader talks about different foods and their points, and peoples experiences with Weight Watchers and what has worked for other people.

I never went to a diet class, I didnt really have much belief in what was going to happen, but by following the points and writing down everything I ate and working out the points vaule I lost 3.5lbs in my first week. Its easy! And that first week I was away for the weekend so lunch was a burger and chips, dinner was chips, and I had lots of vodka in between. But it does make you a lot more aware of portions, which is a huge thing for me and if I am going out somewhere, whether for dinner or the cinema or just drinkin, I make sure I eat slightly less the few days before, points wise, so I have plenty of points left for the other day so I can indulge myself a little.

Also, knowing you are going to get weighed every week is a great incentive, it feels like you dont want to let yourself or the leader down. There was a man in my group that lost three stone and a girl that lost 6. It does work. I would definitely recommend trying it for a month at least and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

I agree, Try weightwatchers, they have Men only classes or an online programme. It really educates you as to what you should eat, and portion size! Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Basically energy input has to equal energy output.
    If your not playing sport anymore you need to eat less.
    Cut out rubbish i.e fizzy drinks, sweets, fast food, processed food.
    Exercise.

Advertisement