Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beth Ditto - great role model or bad example?

Options
  • 13-06-2009 10:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Beth Ditto is the lead singer of The Gossip, and Perez Hilton is a huge fan of hers. He often posts stories about how she embraces her size, while simultaneously bitching about other women gaining weight (Kirstie Alley, Jessica Simpson). Wikipedia says:
    Ditto is a lesbian, and is known for her outspoken support of feminist causes ... Ditto classes herself as a punk, and thus does not wear deodorant or shave under her armpits, having once remarked that "I think punks usually smell".[4] She has been photographed numerous times, and is lauded for her support of positive body image.

A British journalist recently wrote that Ditto is "just as bad an example to young women as a girl ten stone lighter than her", which Perez Hilton took great offence to. So I'm curious, do the women of tLL think that morbidly obese women like Beth Ditto who are happy with their size are good role models, or are they causing as much damage as anorexic ones who promote excessive thinness? Should we all strive to be happy with our bodies, regardless or health concerns?

bethdittoLIVE_450x598.jpg

ditto_gross1.jpg

522514950_bfb448770a.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

I wouldn't call someone that's grossly overweight and obviously unhealthy a good role model!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

The woman is unhealthily fat. Perez Hilton is too, and this is what likely flavours his opinion.

She shouldn't be derided for being fat, but neither should she be celebrated for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I think it's cool that she's confident about her body and she's defying stereotypical notions of beauty...
    However, being that much over-weight, the likelihood is she's putting her health at risk - which isn't cool, or sexy! In the same way being painfully thin isn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, it's cool that she is highlighting how important it is to be happy with the way you look. But it's not cool that girls could look at her and then think it's alright to be that obese and not do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I do think we should strive to be happy with our bodies, but we should also aim for healthy bodies. I don't think being morbidly obese is something we should promote to young girls, just as I don't think being as thin as Paris Hilton is something that should be promoted to young girls. Clearly, neither is a healthy option and and I think being healthy and happy are things which should be promoted together. Both are important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Lol @ anyone who has her as their role model, she's just another girl taking it off for attention! What if she was skinny and said she took off her clothes to promote positive body image? :rolleyes:

I just find her trashy and annoying, plus most punk is rubbish :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Great role model, or the greatest role model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Personally, I think that anybody who looks at rock stars hoping to re-mould themselves in their image is quite foolish. My role models were and still are my family, I simply can't take a musician seriously as an influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm sorry to phrase it this way, but she is disgusting. There's just no other word to describe her.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

i think she has plenty of confidence and attitude, which is admirable, however i also think she should dress to suit her body shape. There is no point pouring herself into unflattering clothing when she can still make a fashion statement and look fabulous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No no, she's an excellent example.

Of how not to eat, dress, look...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

a think a Balance has to be found. Stick insect thin women are not very attractive.

Linsey lohan, prime example. was Very good looking before she lost loads of weight, lost the weight and people looked at her thinness rather then her natural beauty.

a think a Balance has to be found. Stick insect thin women are not very attractive.

Linsey lohan, prime example. was Very good looking before she lost loads of weight, lost the weight and people looked at her thinness rather then her natural beauty.

But the same thing can be said about the other end of the scale. I personally love nothing more than a bit of well distributed weight on a woman, but Beth Ditto just takes the piss. I mean, to get that fat, you'd need to be seriosuly ****in lazy. And I personally think she's only a lesbian cos even a blind man wouldn't put a dick near her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

DarkJager wrote: »
    And I personally think she's only a lesbian cos even a blind man wouldn't put a dick near her.

Yes, you're right. Thats the reason why some women ''become'' lesbians.

Personal opinion, don't get offended :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I think she's to be admired in a way, she's just doing what most other celebrities do, despite the fact that she wouldnt be viewed as stereotypically attractive by the masses. She's used her size and appearence to her advantage, gaining her and her band some crucial media coverage. She probably isnt the worlds best role model, but people really shouldnt be encouraged to idolise these people.
    Personally, i admire her confidence and attitude. Fair play i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I just think she's mank tbh, regardless of what weight she is, though obviously her size isn't the healthiest. Her lack of hygiene, general attitude and particular brand of attention seeking is pretty disgusting and pathetic IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why can't she be both?
    Why does she have to be one or the other?

We don't expect men to be all around perfect, if they are talented then they are and we don't heap derision on them for other failing they have the same way we do with women esp when it comes to thier appearance. It's like seemingly a lot more offensive if a woman doesn't reach a certain standard of the ideal woman in terms of figure and beauty and worse if she doesn't seem to care.

This has always been the case but has gotten worse, Mamma Cass got some abuse but at least her talent was respected. With how things are now I don't think that Dawn French would ever have had a career and that in it's self is pretty shocking imho.

We don't see threads like Pavarotti great role model or bad example and he could have done with loosing a hell of a lot more weight then Beth Ditto and would prolly still be alive.

She is a good role model of doing what you want with your life and chasing your dreams and not waiting until you are "perfect" before living you life and putting yourself out there.

She is not a good role model of a person who makes healthy eating choices.

Funny how we don't see the exact same thread about Johnny Vegas who is a lot fatter and a lot less talented but then again that is not as much of a crime cos he's male.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thaedydal wrote: »

Why can't she be both?

We don't expect men to be all around perfect, if they are talented then they are and we don't heap derision on them for other failing they have the same way we do with women esp when it comes to thier appearance. It's like seemingly a lot more offensive if a woman doesn't reach a certain standard of the ideal woman in terms of figure and beauty and worse if she doesn't seem to care.

This has always been the case but has gotten worse, Mamma Cass got some abuse but at least her talent was respected. With how things are now I don't think that Dawn French would ever have had a career and that in it's self is pretty shocking imho.

We don't see threads like Pavarotti great role model or bad example and he could have done with loosing a hell of a lot more weight then Beth Ditto and would prolly still be alive.

She is a good role model of doing what you want with your life and chasing your dreams and not waiting until you are "perfect" before living you life and putting yourself out there.

Funny how we don't see the exact same thread about Johnny Vegas who is a lot fatter and a lot less talented but then again that is not as much of a crime cos he's male.....
    Actually, the difference between the likes of Pavarotti and Beth Ditto is that nobody is suggesting that Pavarotti is a good role model because of his weight. Ditto uses her obesity as a selling point, and constantly flaunts the fact that she is overweight and portrays it as a good thing. And I've heard plenty of people criticising Johnny Vegas

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Who on earth is johnny vegas :confused:
    *goes off to google*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Uh, I hate Beth Ditto.
    She's obese, rude, not funny, certainly not a role model... and her music sucks :D.

I don't see how she has any redeeming qualities. The media have turned her into this image of how it's ok to be obese (i'm all for have curves etc.. and being natural but come on!), shout your mouth off and give out about eveything. How is that a good role model?

Her weight and eating habits aside, what else has she got going for herself? Eh, nothing? As for calling herself a 'punk'? Punk died 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madra-rua

Bad example. Yucky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

DarkJager wrote: »
    Personal opinion, don't get offended :)

It may be your personal opinion, but it is terribly illogical and most likely , wrong. Women don't just turn into lesbians because men don't find them attractive- women are lesbians because they find women attractive.

Believe me, I'm not offended, I just feel like I have to comment when somebody posts something so ridiculous.

I don't think it's fair to say that Ditto is relying on her appearance to sell music/get attention. The fact of the matter is, as a young woman in the entertainment industry, she was going to be judged on her appearance anyway. And she is- very harshly. However, I think it's good that she can say "Sod you, I'm happy with how I look''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

I don't think she's a great role model from a weight point of view, but from a confidence one she obviously is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Why can't she be both?

28064212 wrote: »
    Actually, the difference between the likes of Pavarotti and Beth Ditto is that nobody is suggesting that Pavarotti is a good role model because of his weight. Ditto uses her obesity as a selling point, and constantly flaunts the fact that she is overweight and portrays it as a good thing. And I've heard plenty of people criticising Johnny Vegas

Question, answer tbh. It's not a question of her being female, thus being under more pressure to be thin. As I quoted in my OP, she's praised for her positive body image - I assume that means that she regularly speaks out about being happy with her weight and it being okay to be obese. In fact, general opinion seems to be that she's not talented, and her band are average at best, meaning she's mostly famous for essentially promoting obesity. The same thread doesn't exist about Johnny Vegas because he doesn't promote obesity, and afaik is quite publicly unhappy with his weight. He has mentioned recently that he's making an effort to lose weight, and had lost 4 stone by that point.

While your post makes a good point about women in the public eye, Thaed, I think it misses the point of the thread, and that is whether it's okay to be so outspoken about your positive body image that it effectively turns into promoting obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well she's clearly using her image to sell her product, just like any band/musician that has a visual gimmick (Lordi and Slipknot are two examples which come to mind). I had never heard about her before this thread, which is about her image rather than music, so there's some extra exposure we can chalk down to image.
    Sometimes I think musicians should be banned from being seen in public, that way they would be judged soley on their musical merits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So Faith you are saying that any exposure she has it is all about her being an alternate lifestyle poster girl and it's not about her talent and her music?

Funny how heroin chic was acceptable as long as the models covered up thier track marks as it make them thin and acceptable.

If she wants to live her life that way and take those risks then that is up to her,
    the same as all the other 'celebs' who do things to excess and/or take risks which are not good for them and thus makes them bad poster boys and girls.

Why does her flashing her flab make her a worse role model then slash on the cover of rolling stone clearly wasted with a fag hanging of his lower lip and a half empty bottle of J.D. cradled in his arms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

If she wants to live her life that way and take those risks then that is up to her,
    the same as all the other 'celebs' who do things to excess and/or take risks which are not good for them and thus makes them bad poster boys and girls.

But that's the point isn't it? They're seen as bad for being excessivley whatever where as she is seen as being good, just because it's fashionable to be "anti-skinny". When i was in school I was bullied for my lack of wieght which was something I couldn't help and I remeber there was one stage about two years ago where she was in EVERY magazine. I used to cry over articles that were writen about how brilliant it was that there was this fat girl who was proud that she wasn't skinny and then I turn the page to discover that some other ramdom famous person "now only weighs..." and how sick and sad she must be. I know that crying over some trashy teen-mag is ridicualous but young girls are as sensitive as hell and do idolise famous people (even if they claim they don't).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

So Faith you are saying that any exposure she has it is all about her being an alternate lifestyle poster girl and it's not about her talent and her music?

To be honest, I've never heard of her outside of perezhilton.com, where all the stories are about how amazing she is for being fat and proud, or how brave she is for wearing clothes that are designed for very thin women. I doubt I'm in the minority there, especially judging by this thread. So yes, I am saying that the majority of exposure about her is due to her appearance, rather than her talent or music.

This thread was inspired by this post, and specifically the comments left by the readers.
    Why does her flashing her flab make her a worse role model then slash on the cover of rolling stone clearly wasted with a fag hanging of his lower lip and a half empty bottle of J.D. cradled in his arms?

That's exactly my point - it doesn't. She's just as bad a role model, but for some reason, she's being embraced for her obesity. No-one looks at a picture of Slash and says "Ah, it's fantastic that he's embracing his alcoholism!", so why should people cheer on Beth Ditto for embracing her weight problem? She is an example of the pendulum swinging too far in the other direction. It's obviously a backlash from stick-thin anorexic models and actresses, but it's just as dangerous, if not more so, to be morbidly obese as stick thin. I understand that some people may feel that, by lauding Ditto's weight, it may encourage others to realise that they don't have to be a size 0 to be attractive, but you then run the danger of people buying into this idea too much, and putting their own health at risk being obese and thinking it's fine because Beth Ditto says it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

I just think she's mank tbh, regardless of what weight she is, though obviously her size isn't the healthiest. Her lack of hygiene, general attitude and particular brand of attention seeking is pretty disgusting and pathetic IMO.

Isn't she meant to be some sort of punk?

Advertisement