Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt Water Softener for whole house and magnetic for drinking water

Options
  • 13-06-2009 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi ppl,

I'm nearly finished building a new house and am trying to decide on the best sytem to take lime out of the water.

I'm thinking of the following solution and looking for thoughts:

1. Going to go for a metered water softener for the whole house bar drinking water, the following system looks to be ok and it's from an irish site too:

http://water2buy.ie/softeners-10/aquasmart-meter-controlled-water-softener-space-saver-6.html

2. Since i don't want to alter the salt content i was thinking of using a magnetic inhibiter directly under the kitchen sink solely for drinking /cooking water. These seem to work ok if water is used straight away so it doesn't loose the magnet effect.

http://www.scalewatcher.co.uk/pages/prices-ordering_sale.aspx

What do people think of this solution and do people think the magnetic inhibitor would work If it's just for the drinking water and the water is been used straight away?

Thanks everyone for any opinions :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

I would advise a combined water filtration and softener system. There is an aquatech product on the market which I installed about two weeks ago. It uses an ionisation softener and a seperate filtration unit and does not use salt to soften the water making it suitable for drinking. I was going to go the magnetic route but could not find any manufacturer that would stand over their product as apparently Irish water is off the scale in certain areas when it comes to hardness. The system cost approx 750. Talked to home owner last week and it was working perfectly. Very happy with it. I will double check the name of it and post it here tomo for you if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sesonic

That would be great, trying to make a decision on this as soon as possible as plumber is coming back out in a week or two.

Just out of interest, the same site does a Reverse Osmosis kit for drinking water and i could go for this instead of the magnet, is this similar to the system you are using and does the reverse osmosis system soften the water aswell?

I'm now thinking: Softener for house supply and Reverse Osmosis for drinking water

http://water2buy.ie/reverse-osmosis-9/

Many thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

The model I used was from AquaDocwatersystems.ie It was excellent. The particular model I went for was the electropositive filters. The reason I used this unit was that it softened and filtered the whole house not just the drinking water/ kitchen sink. This would mean less build up on all fixtures in the entire houseincluding toilets and showers tubs etc. This is the model I have installed and will install in all my clients houses. Very suitable to Irish water conditions and absolutley no salt for the enviroment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think those magnetic things work. I had one for a while I don't think it made any difference.

The electropositive filters is a new one on me. does it really work? Whats the pros/cons over a salt fed system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

The reverse osmosis system is supposed to be the best for drinking water, but they waste a huge amount of water. For every gallon of pure water, it sends 5 gallons down the drain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement