Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The baby name game...

Options
  • 13-06-2009 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Orla.

DH and I are expecting our first baby - a girl next month and we have been arguing over names for months!!! We can't decide on anything!
    So, I joined here to get some other opinions.

The list-
    Jessica
    Addison (we both like it but we're thinking that everyone will ask if we got it from Greys anatomy - which we did)
    Emily
    Layla
    Alexia
    Gracelyn
    Juliet

Her middle name will be Catherine.

what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I see your delima, they are all beautiful names, just make sure to check the three initials when you have the Christian name, Middle name, & Surname together. I hav a friend whose Name is Catherine, her middle name is Olive, & her surnames is Winston (C.O.W) :)

• Well, Jessica and Emily are nice but incredibly common. There were 4 other girls with my name in my class at school and I hated it.

Addison - way too American, I think the 'last name as first name thing' is really annoying when it's not a family name or anything.

Gracelyn - just don't like it. Sounds like an 80 year old's name and I hate anything combined with 'Lynn'.

Alexia - Not bad, I love the nickname Lexi but open to teasing (I know an Alexia who was Sexy Lexi at school)

Layla and Juliet would be my favourites - classy, not common but not so uncommon they would be 'weird' either. I would personally go for Layla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hi,
    I named my daughter Addison. I really love it and it suits her. I feel that if you like a name it shouldn't matter where people think you got it. A lot of people ask me if I got it from Grey's Anatomy, so I tell them the truth and say yes. I don't think it's too American.

I love Emily and Layla. Emily especially for some reason. I don't like Gracelyn... just looks like you stuck a "Lynn" at the end and took the last "n".

My daughters name was originally supposed to be Addison Paige (that's way too American now that I look at it!!!), but my father asked me to give her middle name after her grandmother. So now it's Addison Theresa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Orla.

Thank you for the answers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

I really like the name Emily! I think its a real pretty girls name, i like Jessica too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

I love the name juliet i forgot about that when i was having my daughter. Possibly if we have another one juliet will be a firm runner :)

I named my daughter lucy may we don't call her lucy may, just lucy.
    I know lucy has become a very popular name but i love it.

Not crazy about gracelyn but grace is a lovely name...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭**Caroline**

Hey Orla!

Congrats on expecting your little girl :):) I'm also having a girl due in Aug :D

If I were you, I'd narrow the list down even further. There's some lovely names you've picked there btw ;)

But maybe you & your other half could each pick out your favourite two from the list. And hopefully one of the names will overlap (i.e. both of you pick the same name as one of your favourites). And if it doesn't, at least you've shortlisted it even further :p

And who knows.. you may even think of another name in the mean time that's not even on your list and you could both fall in love with it..?

Personally I like Emily, Layla & Juliet - but everyone will have different opinions. Down to you & hubby at the end of the day :) And when you see baby, you'll probably know which name suits her best xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Can I make a suggestion ?

Make the decision yourself and don't tell anyone.

We found that every time we picked a name someone would state their absolute hate for it ( they can't all of been that bad ) - therefore ruining our love for that name - we've decided on one now that we think we'll stick with - but we ain't telling a sole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

How do people feel about Caoimhe? I normally hate irish names but im not totally hating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I imagine the sound of the surname will be a factor also...

I like Emma and Siobhan and strangely enough..Enid.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    How do people feel about Caoimhe? I normally hate irish names but im not totally hating it.

I love Caoimhe. It is just beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Orla.

we've narrowed it down to either Addison or Layla:D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blondiegirl2009

I def prefer Addison, its so clever and unusual and I love Grey's :D. Layla.. no offence, but it sounds like a girl you'd pick up on a street in Amsterdam or in a chipper(don't mean to be mean x x x). All for Addison though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I don't like layla either, does sound like...well, what Blondie girl said! I do like Allana which is kinda similar though. Addison is v. nice. Also like Maddison.

I'm due a boy in Oct and going with Aidan I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 amy-marie

Melion wrote: »

I'm embarassed to say I don't even know how you'd go about pronouncing that. :P

I personally love Layla, it's a little different that there'd be no one else with it (as one of 3 Amy's in a class, I can tell you this is very important :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Sorry

But Gracelyn reminds me of where Elvis lived.( think about it):)
    That was the first thing I though of.

Any of the rest are nice names in my opinion anyways.

Chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

amy-marie wrote: »
    I'm embarassed to say I don't even know how you'd go about pronouncing that. :P

I personally love Layla, it's a little different that there'd be no one else with it (as one of 3 Amy's in a class, I can tell you this is very important :P).

Caoimhe would be pronounced "keevah"... I think :o

Oh and yay for another Addison :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

CweeVah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I like Juliet. Just classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

im all for celtic names mainly cause you can give the child something from you a feeling of how you felt or ur wishes for them for a girl being a father myself i like abigal " i spelt it this way so it can be pronounceable" means fathers joy or kyla means so beautiful only poets could describe her any hows im still naming my son its heartache

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Orla. wrote: »
    we've narrowed it down to either Addison or Layla:D

Addison is way to 'of the moment'. A bit like when you meet a kid called Kiely or Brittney you will know what age they are without even looking at them.

Of the two Layla is the better choice, but I wouldn't been too keen on wither to be honest. Too ood, you don't want your kid to be ridiculed in school as you have saddled them with an odd name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This

I love Layla its lovely and different but not in an odd way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I knew a girl called Layla in the past and I learnt that that is the hebrew word for night.
    We are expecting a girl for Aug as well. Already have 1 name for girl and 1 name for boy (in case there is a surprise) that I will not disclose, but will share the runner ups:

-Serena
    -Sofia
    -Uma

I like irish names, but I would struggle to get the grandparents to pronounce them (we are both native spanish speakers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

Jessica >>> personally I think it's a bit dated
    Addison >>> a very 'trendy' name. Madison is also very trendy and popular at the moment. It also mean 'son of adam', so not a very feminie name.
    Emily >>> nice, but pretty popular at th moment
    Layla >>> LOVE
    Alexia >>> I dont really like it, maybe as a nickname for Alexandra
    Gracelyn >>> Grace is nice, the lyn ending ruins it IMO
    Juliet >>> LOVE

Layla Catherine or Juliet Catherine sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 missust

i'm due baby in Aug and Juliet is on our shortlist. i thought it was very unfashionable but seems its not. (its my grandmother's name). i'm kinda changing my mind if its gonna be common soon.
    other names on list are: Claudia, Philippa and Elliette.dh likes Lily, i'm not sure. our surname is french so i like the sound of international names with it rather than irish ones.
    isabell was name we picked when i was first pregnant but have heard of loads of isabells since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Excpecting our first in November and think we've settled on Aisha Simone if it's a girl. Based on the experience of my brothers, it'll probably be a girl so we haven't really thought too much about boys names.

Friend of mind just gave his new son the middle name of Xanto...

smokingman wrote: »
    Excpecting our first in November and think we've settled on Aisha Simone if it's a girl. Based on the experience of my brothers, it'll probably be a girl so we haven't really thought too much about boys names.

Friend of mind just gave his new son the middle name of Xanto...

Alright dwag...so what 'Hood are you from?

Word....:cool:

Alright dwag...so what 'Hood are you from?

Word....:cool:

er....what?

smokingman wrote: »
    er....what?

Well they are names suited to, shall we say, Afro-American communities.;)

ps Congrats on the prengancy..:)

• Advertisement

Well they are names suited to, shall we say, Afro-American communities.;)

ps Congrats on the prengancy..:)

Cheers, never considered them to be anything like that to be honest but everyone has their own ideas I suppose. Do you watch MTV a lot then?
    It is a Swahili name though.

We could just use the irish version Aoise but it's pronounced the same.

Advertisement