Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahmadinejad defiant about result of Iranian election

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Jaysus Wes :) I used business terminology to make a point! I never meant we should only go into places where our ROI will be money!! You've got blinkered vision there. The ROI I was talking about is a stable, functioning democracy and a happy populace! You've completely misunderstood what I was saying. When taking a course of action you should always have a clear set of objectives and they should be realistically attainable. That's where the business thinking comes into play. A business won't invest in a product if it thinks it is going to be a failure. The chance of failure I'm talking about is a population that rejects the invaders no matter what their intentions are.

Well, the Iranians have never responded well to the outside interference. People are still pissed off about when the US/UK ousted Mossadegh.
    I'm not obsessed with money you know! It has never crossed my mind when thinking about Iran. I am just very angry at the inhumanity of the Iranian regime.

I am as well, but then I am angry about what is going on in the Congo, Sri Lanka, Darfur and Gaza.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

We,

You post a site that has a video clip from youtube with just audio on it?
    Then they show a dead man with no name.

America should most definitely invade Iran

Strange post tbh..
    Not really sure whether the part in bold text is an attempt at sarcasm as if it is, it doesn't really apply considering I never advocated, promoted or even discussed an American invasion of Iran.. All I did was post a link without even commenting on it, all I said was that it was today :o..

Kind of ironic that in the process of trying to point out my jumping to conclusions and lack of sufficient evidence, you did the same yourself..

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

John McCain, who self proffessedly doesnt know much about computers, really likes this idea. And well, if his name is tied to this, I really cant hate the guy - this is genius.

http://gizmodo.com/5303089/mccain-wants-predators-to-provide-wi+fi-for-iranians
    Reportedly, Senator John McCain wants Predators [UAVs] to provide with uncensored Wi-Fi coverage to the people of Iran. I don't know if this is even technically possible, but its so preposterous and fantastically cool that I love the idea:
    During the Cold War, we provided the Polish people and dissidents with printing presses. Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube are the modern-day printing presses. They are the way to spread information and keep the hope of freedom alive amongst the Iranian people

Of course, the Predators—or whatever other method—could be taken down with missiles or fighter planes, but the basic idea is spot on: Give everyone free access to information at any cost.

Free dissemination of information is one of the keys to the independence and freedom of citizens everywhere. Actually, I wish there was some kind of global Wi-Fi system—one that will allow any citizen in the world to access information freely, without intervention of dictators and authoritarian figures in China, North Korea, Iran, or Cuba.

Feasible. If you could mount enough power onto the UAV, im sure the Military knows ways to greatly boost a wifi signal. Flying in a holding pattern is simple. The real trick is not getting shot down. US Preds over Tehran (armed or not) might be viewed as an Act of War.

Unfortunately afaik, there is no US Embassy in Iran. Otherwise it would just be a snap to stick a few souped up hot spots around the perimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Overheal wrote: »
    Feasible.
    Unfortunately, given that at the moment even 802.11n has a limit of 300m (and most laptops are even now coming with 802.11g which has a range of significantly less), it's barely more feasible than having a US diplomat with a router assigned to walk a few feet behind every Iranian citizen. The US diplomat might be cheaper too given that the distance the flying wireless platforms would have to fly at would mean every six year old would be as likely to hit one with a stone flung into the air than not hit one with a stone flung into the air.

Then, completely aside, there's the sovereignty question. They would certainly notice the wifi platforms flying above them like the aliens' spaceships in V: The Miniseries.

I'm not even going to go near the fuel required to keep a UAV airborne and geostationary a few hundred metres off the ground. Mostly because I know very little about aeronautics, but in this case I don't need to.

It's a cute idea but John McCain has to realise we're not The Jetsons. Even make it ten times more powerful, ten times smaller and ten times longer lasting and it's not going to happen.

Sorry Overheal, but this is a non-starter on economic, political and tech grounds and it only needs one of those to make it a non-starter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

Apparently internet has been shut off now and mobile phone networks controlled, seems like scary stuff :O

Can anybody tell me whether any of our politicians have made any sort of comment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GoodPolitician

We are all a real bunch of softies in the West. The "Silent Majority" know what should be done to all of the Iranian’s and their ilk. Unfortunately the silent majority are a bunch of big girls blouses and never push themselves, unlike the major minority in civil rights movements who make more noise than the whole lot of us put together.

After 9/11 the west slipped up when it did not carpet bomb all of those trouble spots with nukes. We would not have a security problem by now - no long security queues just to travel within and without our little country, where we are harrassed by many followers of these regimes who are employed as security personnel.

Until something like this is done there will never be peace in the world.

It is so obvious to see that politics does not exist in Iran and indeed many other countries throughout the world with a so-called Islamic religion. Even the moderate in these countries never fully condem atrocities carried out in the name of Islam.

Basically Islamic culture is self centred for the male population only, all of whom have major sex drives and associated sexual dysfunction problems. Women are treated like dogs and referred to as bitches. Just check out the night clubs all over the world where they have spread and you will find them hunting down women from without their sects and customs. Those males are there just to get laid while their women folk are minding a multitude of kids, some of whom will become human bombs.

Lets call a spade a spade and deal with them accordingly.

When we see how the Iranian government treats its own what would we expect them to do to us and yet they are so vociferous about lesser concerns in the west when they try to tell the likes of the US President how he should lead his people.

Unfortunately there are no redeeming factors favouring these type of people that we could possibly cling onto for some sort of hope so it is best for the world at large that they should no longer exist - in the same way they preach about Israel.

I'm not sorry for being so blunt because I've studied them closely all my life and they are getting worse!

Is mise le meas

Good Politician
    Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15 16 42 GMT Daylight Time. Week: 29. End.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

After 9/11 the west slipped up when it did not carpet bomb all of those trouble spots with nukes. We would not have a security problem by now - no long security queues just to travel within and without our little country, where we are harrassed by many followers of these regimes who are employed as security personnel
    So basically, you are a racist and you personally don't like islam or other countries that are islamic.
    And you want western powers to commit mass murder and genocide, because of your hate.
    sieg heil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

No, I think he wants us to bomb all the Iranians. You know, to save all the oppressed Iranians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GoodPolitician

Response to RedPlanet and Jill_Valentine.

RedPlanet, Your response is typical of the type that sat on the fence claiming neutrality during WWI & WWII - yellow bellied cowards. You have no right to try and label me a racist, because I'm prepared to defend myself at all costs. It's only in the free world that we can interact like this. No islamic world allows the same. I will never change my views. Let the Iranian Government make the changes - we see how they have treated their own.

Jill_Valentine - I can empathise with you but, the rot must be weeded out - unfortunately some good might have to go in the process. Maybe with smart weapons and advance warnings the good could get out of harms way.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sceptre wrote: »
    Unfortunately, given that at the moment even 802.11n has a limit of 300m (and most laptops are even now coming with 802.11g which has a range of significantly less), it's barely more feasible than having a US diplomat with a router assigned to walk a few feet behind every Iranian citizen. The US diplomat might be cheaper too given that the distance the flying wireless platforms would have to fly at would mean every six year old would be as likely to hit one with a stone flung into the air than not hit one with a stone flung into the air.

Then, completely aside, there's the sovereignty question. They would certainly notice the wifi platforms flying above them like the aliens' spaceships in V: The Miniseries.

I'm not even going to go near the fuel required to keep a UAV airborne and geostationary a few hundred metres off the ground. Mostly because I know very little about aeronautics, but in this case I don't need to.

It's a cute idea but John McCain has to realise we're not The Jetsons. Even make it ten times more powerful, ten times smaller and ten times longer lasting and it's not going to happen.

Sorry Overheal, but this is a non-starter on economic, political and tech grounds and it only needs one of those to make it a non-starter.
    I'm allowed to dream!

/cries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Protests have flared up again in the after math of the death of Ayatollah Montazeri. The Guardian has some news on protest and mourning going on today:
    Iran security forces clash with Montazeri mourners

Police fire teargas at people paying respects to dissident cleric and confront protesters in at least one other city

Iran's smouldering political unrest reignited today when pro-reform demonstrators mourning the death of a dissident cleric clashed with security forces in at least two cities.

More than 50 people were arrested in a mosque in Isfahan, Iran's second biggest city, as police fired pepper spray and teargas at mourners paying their respects to Grand Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri, who died on Sunday.

In a related incident, security forces detained and surrounded the home of a local reformist cleric, Ayatollah Jalaleddin Taheri, as he attempted to travel to the ceremony.

The reports coincided with confrontations in the town of Najafabad, Montazeri's birthplace, as protests that began on Tuesday night continued into today. The reformist website Parlamennews described the situation as "tense".

Click here for full article

Ayatollah Montazeri, was apparently the spritual leader of the reformist movement and was at one point in line to succeed Ayatollah Khomeni, but was side lined.

It looks like the reformist movement is still very much alive in Iran, and thee will probably be more protests during the Shia Religous holiday of Ashura on Sunday, so we haven't see the last of these latest protests.

Advertisement